News Vale Phil Walsh: Son officially charged with murder @ 10:30am

Remove this Banner Ad

Unbelievable news to wake up to. Very sad to see a family torn apart like that

I know this story is bigger than footy but I can't help but think "how the hell are the Crows players gonna be able to play a game in 2 days?"

Unbelievable news to wake up to. Very sad to see a family torn apart like that

I know this story is bigger than footy but I can't help but think "how the hell are the Crows players gonna be able to play a game in 2 days?"

I can't imagine they can but you never know. With Phil Walsh having worked at Geelong too (although he had no connection with any current players), I'd imagine the whole atmosphere at the game just wouldn't be right. I hope they play - I'll be watching - and if they do I hope Adelaide win. But I doubt they can go ahead and that's fair enough. I guess chasing a bag of air around a paddock pales into insignificance right now.

Horribly sad news. RIP.

PS change the thread title? Or at least put at "allegedly" in there? We don't know fully what happened (nor does the media) to make this statement.
They would have spoken to the wife surely?

I read they haven't been able to speak to the son yet as he needs to undergo psychiatric testing.
If you have stab wounds in your chest chances are you were murdered though...

Absolutely shocking news to wake up to, I thought it was going to be a Titus O'reilly "joke" news article, like you open it up and it says ... in the coaches box.

Then I saw it was posted by news.com.au :(

Article from April from Robbo
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...ows-and-his-life/story-e6frf3e3-1227308300112

His own family life hasn’t been as simple.

His obsession with football at times drove a wedge. At West Coast, after the game was played on a Saturday, Walsh the next day would fly to Melbourne and back, 10 hours all up, just to watch two hours of live footy. He reckons it got even worse when he was Port Adelaide.

Asked if he was a good father, he said: “That’s a really hard question.

“The bonus of me taking the Crows job is my son is 26 and my daughter is 22, so the collateral damage isn’t so big.

“But have I been a good father? To my son, I had a disconnect because of footy.

“I just immersed myself, got consumed and was selfish with as much time I committed to footy. I’m basically talking about my 10 years at Port Adelaide, just the desperation to win a premiership and I thought it was all about me, when it’s all about the players.

“I lost that connection and I’m trying to reconnect with my son, which I have done.

That reads very sadly in retrospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shocked! A really sad day for the Crows, the AFL, the Adelaide community and the whole nation. Thoughts go to his wife and daughter.

When I first saw the thread title when I logged on, being the NM board I was thinking something tragic had happened to a relative of Geoff Walsh.

Didn't think for a second it was about the senior coach of Adelaide. And that he had been murdered.

Words fail me.

So horrible.

Article from April from Robbo
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...ows-and-his-life/story-e6frf3e3-1227308300112

His own family life hasn’t been as simple.

His obsession with football at times drove a wedge. At West Coast, after the game was played on a Saturday, Walsh the next day would fly to Melbourne and back, 10 hours all up, just to watch two hours of live footy. He reckons it got even worse when he was Port Adelaide.

Asked if he was a good father, he said: “That’s a really hard question.

“The bonus of me taking the Crows job is my son is 26 and my daughter is 22, so the collateral damage isn’t so big.

“But have I been a good father? To my son, I had a disconnect because of footy.

“I just immersed myself, got consumed and was selfish with as much time I committed to footy. I’m basically talking about my 10 years at Port Adelaide, just the desperation to win a premiership and I thought it was all about me, when it’s all about the players.

“I lost that connection and I’m trying to reconnect with my son, which I have done.

Absolutely chilling

Shocked.. So sad.. RIP Phil Walsh

So very sad.

AFL will have to announce how it will proceed with this weekends games pretty quickly. Can't see the Adelaide boys being able to play this weekend. Also can't see it being that simple just to call off a whole round due to logistics not only of this round but future ones. Uncharted territory for the AFL.

So very sad.

AFL will have to announce how it will proceed with this weekends games pretty quickly. Can't see the Adelaide boys being able to play this weekend. Also can't see it being that simple just to call off a whole round due to logistics not only of this round but future ones. Uncharted territory for the AFL.

It's the least important element - as in footy, sport, work - but yeh a decision will need to be made.

Would think a scenario of having the other games proceed while the Crows v Cats game is called a draw is probably feasible.

At a staff/club level the crows and cats can then decide if they wish to proceed with playing out the actual game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back