Remove this Banner Ad

Deadeyeroo

Cancelled
May 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hi all,

Thought I would throw out there the versatility of the players. We have seen BS doesnt play any of our players in different positions which has been done for over 100 years.

D Currie- Where I would expect him to be but definitely not a forward. Delist .

B McKenzie-Good ball user but really hasnt delivered as yet and should be played as a HBF and not as a mid, doesnt get enough of the ball at senior level at this stage.

R Bastinac- Seems to be an out an out mid but his form has been up and down this year, i'll leave other comments to where his best position is. Could be used as a tagger more offen.

L Anthony- Delist

B Jacobs- Havent seen much of him this year but what I've seen he needs to be played either in the midfield or from HBF.

L Hansen- In all the years I have watched Lachy play he is a very good one on one mark. No doubt his best position is as a loose defender but if he is manned up he needs to go forward at every opportunity and become a marking threat to kick goals. He hasnt really done this all year which is typical of BS not playing players in different positions.

J Ziebell- Will be a gun in the future and imo just needs to get his body right and we will reap the rewards. Needs to play forward if his body is sore otherwise in the middle. Future Captain if not next year.

D Wells- Cant wait to see him back. Really need his outside run.

A Swallow- Played in the middle ever since he's come back. IMO he hasnt quite hit the targets we expected and should have been used as a potential tagger instead of Greenwood to mix it up a bit.

B Cunnington- Happy with the way this guy is progressing. Contested ball magnet.

M Firrito- Played really well down defense this year after last year but possibly could have been played as a tagger as well. I remember his days of playing as a tagger against Buckley and doing a pretty good job, as usual BS doesnt play guys from week to week in different positions.

L Thomas- Been pretty good this year with pretty crappy supply. Could have been thrown in the mf with his tackling pressure being one of his strengths.

L Adams- Should have been dropped long ago, has had a shocking year.

T Dumont- Its unbelievable that froggy hasnt had a game yet.

N Dalsanto- Been a great pickup this year.

S Thompson- Outstanding year last year and has disappointed this year but in defense of him the defense has been under siege all year due to the underperforming forward line.

N Grima- Injured for most of the year and does get injured a lot.

S Atley- Now this guy has got real pace. We have missed Wellsy this year terribly and why hasnt Atley been thrown into the midfield. If there is any guy in our team that can be thrown into the mf its this
guy.

S Wright- Been really impressed with his impact into the team again and I think if he can hold that form he can hold that sort of position.

K Harper- Delist. Bring on the negativity.

L Greenwood- Absolutely love this bloke and the way he goes about it. Could possibly be used on a dangerous forward at times just to mix it up and get the opposition thinking. Is a really good shut down type albeit not at the moment as we need him in the middle until Wellsy comes back.

R Tarrant- Delist or trade. From a guy who played so many years and been injured so offen what choice do we have.

T Hine- Shown some really good form in the VFL this year. Havent seen too many games this year of him but from what I have heard be has been playing well as a shut down defender. Pretty much what he was recruited for, possible delist for me too but happy for him to stay on the list.

T Garner- Injury has killed him this year.

R Nahas- Looked really good this year and is really only a LT type player with an average kick, are we really gonna settle for these type of players, very one dimensional and a shocking kicking style to go with it.

B Harvey- Had an outstanding year so far.For me when he is tagged he should be played deep forward. Most taggers dont like deep forward but BS doesnt seem to use him much there. Why not have Boomer and LT playing out of the goal square on occasions.

T Curran- Delist

C Delany- Need to see more of.

M Wood- Mystery why this guy hasnt played this year. His form has been pretty good and he can play high half forward or wing very easily. An awesome kick and he could and should come in for Black this week, if he doesnt the NMFC arent fair dinkum.

M Wilkins- Been played as a backman for a couple of years, but been tried as a forward the last couple of weeks. Been showing quite a bit of promise as a forward but needs to show more.

J McMillan- Really missed his run.

A Black- Needs a rocket up his A***. Why havent they experimented with him down back??

J Tippet- Really happy with his progress.

M Daw- Its slow progress with Daw but I really think his best position is ruck. He is not an out an out forward. Definitely should play ruck if Goldy gets injured.

A Mullet- Was an outstanding year for the young fella last year but since the tattoo has gone backwards. Dont know where his best position is but willing to throw it out there. Could play forward I guess sparingly.

S Gibson- Awesome runner of the team and suited in the middle. Not a real contested possession winner though. Good player but does turn it over a fair bit. In the LA mould gets it a million times but turns it over a lot too.

M Warren-Delist.

S McMahon-Delist

B Brown- A player that has done quite a bit so far in his 3 games. Like his passion and for me at 200cm deserves a real crack at a forward line spot going into the future.

After quite a bit to drink tonight and a weekend or year of frustration. I've thrown it out there of what sort of positions you think these guys are suited to? Seeing our coach doesn't see fit to play them in different positions?

The one thing that really pisses me off is. If we are going to man up the same guys in the same positions every week, what sort of leg up does that give the opposition? They have literally all week to set up their team against us. Will be interesting to see what happens next week. If you remember back when North played Geelong earlier in the year Chris Scott put Selwood as a forward which surprised Brad and from memory he kicked the first goal. Now I would like to see whats Brad going to do, probably set up as normal with everyone in the same position more likely. If I were him I would start the game with Petrie in defense on Hawkins with Brown and Daw starting at the Half forward line, then have Boomer and LT coming out of the goal square. Just to give Chris something to think about. Send Petrie to the forward line maybe after 5 min depending how things are going.

As you guys can probably tell I am a big believer if playing guys in the positions they excel in and changing it up when things are going against you. I dont think this has been utilized anywhere enough this year in fact it probably hasn't been done at all.

Last edited:
No one got any opinions about playing some guys in different positions?

A few, but they're fairly generic and have been mentioned by many others before. :p

As for the reason we don't see these positional changes during games I think there's one major reason. IMO Brad only really runs with the one gameplan (which changes slightly game to game, depending on the opposition), and if things go wrong he tries to get the gameplan working, instead of just moving magnets and trying to gain ascendancy by another method, I think this was touched on by others last week. I think a part of his reasoning comes down to the fact that we haven't 'mastered' the gameplan yet, so he'd rather not make many radical positional changes during a game until everyone's on the same page, but thats just my opinion and could easily be wrong.

That said, I think a lot of our midfielders do play different roles, they quite often swap between half forward, half back and the midfield, both on a game by game basis and to a lesser degree during games. Some weeks some guys (Greenhead most weeks, Basti and Gibbo occasionly) have tagging roles. I will agree that we generally don't see changes with our KPP though.

In regards to a few specific players:
I think Atley appears to get a little lost when he's playing in the guts. Appears to be more capable of taking the game on when most of the field/players are in front of him. I'm also increasingly rating his defensive efforts.
I would like to occasionally see Hansen push forward, even if it is just to man up the opponents loose defender.
I'm in agreeance with most that JZ should predominately play forward, with a few rotations in the guts.

Mullett to play wing, high HF
Boomer to play traditional FP with a tag
LMac to run through the guts
Petrie to CHB when he isnt getting it
Hansen to CHF when he isnt getting it
Ziebell to play leading forward
If 100% fit, Black to run through the guts occasionally
LT to run through the guts occasionally
Jacobs to play exclusively in the guts. He should spell Pig, Spitta and Ben10
Wells to play HBF when he comes back and Dal moves into the guts full time
Goldy to play forward when Maj goes into ruck

Not a bad wrap up deadeye but I reckon you've been a bit harsh on Nahas. His forward pressure has been ridiculously good and we've really missed it in recent weeks.

I actually thought he was the difference in a couple of games this year.

Can't argue with the Harper call (as much as it pains me to say it coz I love the kid) but it feels like he's spat the chewy living in the 2s and will be traded or fade off into the sunset.. Knowing our luck Sydney will pick him up and turn him into the star we've all known he potentially could be..ala Nick Davis

Not a bad wrap up deadeye but I reckon you've been a bit harsh on Nahas. His forward pressure has been ridiculously good and we've really missed it in recent weeks.

I actually thought he was the difference in a couple of games this year.

Can't argue with the Harper call (as much as it pains me to say it coz I love the kid) but it feels like he's spat the chewy living in the 2s and will be traded or fade off into the sunset.. Knowing our luck Sydney will pick him up and turn him into the star we've all known he potentially could be..ala Nick Davis

Fair enough on Nahas he hasnt been a bad pick up but his goal kicking style is one of the worst I've seen.

Some very difficult decisions need to be made at the end of the year. I hope the club has got the balls to get rid of some of these blokes who have played in the VFL all year. The club cant afford to have any passengers over the next 4-5 years and guys who haven't played a senior game for a few years that are over 21 need to be shown the door. Imo Currie, Anthony, Harper, Tarrant, Curran, Warren, McMahon and possibly Wilkins need to be either thrown on the trade table or delisted. Cleanout time.

Last edited:
Problem is Brads refusal to make game day changes, nothing drastic is necessarily required, but when a bloke like Gibbs or Hanley is tearing us a new one, maybe it's smart to put what you had planned pre-game aside, and focus on what is actually happening in the game. I think this happens a lot when we lose, things don't go our way, and rather then try something different Brad persists. Come finals, persisting won't win us a game if something isn't going our way. I don't mind Brad, but it's part of the reason I can't see us becoming a genuine contender with him at the top.

Problem is Brads refusal to make game day changes, nothing drastic is necessarily required, but when a bloke like Gibbs or Hanley is tearing us a new one, maybe it's smart to put what you had planned pre-game aside, and focus on what is actually happening in the game. I think this happens a lot when we lose, things don't go our way, and rather then try something different Brad persists. Come finals, persisting won't win us a game if something isn't going our way. I don't mind Brad, but it's part of the reason I can't see us becoming a genuine contender with him at the top.

Couldnt agree more mate. All the great premiership winning coaches make changes when its needed and Brads refusal to do so just might be his undoing.

Ok-

D Currie- Where I would expect him to be but definitely not a forward. Delist .

I'd keep him. Can play ruck at AFL ok and judged way too harshly on a couple of dropped grabs for a bloke who played a handful of games in an unfamiliar position.

B McKenzie-Good ball user but really hasnt delivered as yet and should be played as a HBF and not as a mid, doesnt get enough of the ball at senior level at this stage.

Agree. HBF pushing up for the easy give. I think he has an untapped inside game but AFL isn't the place to develop it.

R Bastinac- Seems to be an out an out mid but his form has been up and down this year, i'll leave other comments to where his best position is. Could be used as a tagger more offen.

Yeh probably agree.

L Anthony- Delist

Unfortunately. Wish he'd been rebuilt into a tagger. Good tank, size and goes where the pill is.

B Jacobs- Havent seen much of him this year but what I've seen he needs to be played either in the midfield or from HBF.

Agree. Reckon he could possibly go to HFF as he seems a better flying shot for goal than he should be.

L Hansen- In all the years I have watched Lachy play he is a very good one on one mark. No doubt his best position is as a loose defender but if he is manned up he needs to go forward at every opportunity and become a marking threat to kick goals. He hasnt really done this all year which is typical of BS not playing players in different positions.

This one shits me. When we're falling apart why not pop him in the square and see if he can throw out the opposition balance a bit. FFS.

J Ziebell- Will be a gun in the future and imo just needs to get his body right and we will reap the rewards. Needs to play forward if his body is sore otherwise in the middle. Future Captain if not next year.

Agree.

D Wells- Cant wait to see him back. Really need his outside run.

Agree.

A Swallow- Played in the middle ever since he's come back. IMO he hasnt quite hit the targets we expected and should have been used as a potential tagger instead of Greenwood to mix it up a bit.

Think there's enough scope for he, Levi and Cunnington to all stay inside. Swallow can find the pill well and is able to burst out of packs. Maybe the outside guys should be presenting better to give him an easy short target.

B Cunnington- Happy with the way this guy is progressing. Contested ball magnet.

Yep.

M Firrito- Played really well down defense this year after last year but possibly could have been played as a tagger as well. I remember his days of playing as a tagger against Buckley and doing a pretty good job, as usual BS doesnt play guys from week to week in different positions.

Even just a blocker in the middle or a big body in the forward line just as something to try to shift momentum. Archer used to do this switch and you had Hunter for WC who was an inferior player to Spud doing this switch and saving games.

L Thomas- Been pretty good this year with pretty crappy supply. Could have been thrown in the mf with his tackling pressure being one of his strengths.

Not just his tackling. His vision and disposal when gets it in the middle is excellent.

L Adams- Should have been dropped long ago, has had a shocking year.

Sadly yes.

T Dumont- Its unbelievable that froggy hasnt had a game yet.

Not so sure. I don't think he's been in that stellar form and really doesn't fill a gap in the current senior lineup. And that's the thing..

N Dalsanto- Been a great pickup this year.

Yes and no. I recognise statistically it's a no brainer. But I've been disappointed with the example he's set defensively a few times. You get a senior bloke from a hardened grand final era you expect them to bring those intangibles to the side. Yes.. like Chapman does..

S Thompson- Outstanding year last year and has disappointed this year but in defense of him the defense has been under siege all year due to the underperforming forward line.

Agree and have to go with the consensus he must be injured. Just too good a player to be this bad now.

N Grima- Injured for most of the year and does get injured a lot.

Yeh. We should've given Luke Delaney more opportunity last year (to help retain him) because this was inevitable with Narni.

S Atley- Now this guy has got real pace. We have missed Wellsy this year terribly and why hasnt Atley been thrown into the midfield. If there is any guy in our team that can be thrown into the mf its this
guy.

He was a very good inside mid in the U18s. Could make a real point of difference with bursts in the middle.

S Wright- Been really impressed with his impact into the team again and I think if he can hold that form he can hold that sort of position.

Yep.

K Harper- Delist. Bring on the negativity.

Nah I'd keep him and he's contracted anyway. This sort of talent doesn't turn up too often and it's confirmed he's had a hell of a time with his body. I'd be giving him all the time he needs. Hawthorn are masters at holding on to these types of players and swinging them into finals at just the right time. I'd be up for doing the same.

L Greenwood- Absolutely love this bloke and the way he goes about it. Could possibly be used on a dangerous forward at times just to mix it up and get the opposition thinking. Is a really good shut down type albeit not at the moment as we need him in the middle until Wellsy comes back.

Ballwinning mid every day of the week. Even with Wellsy in.

R Tarrant- Delist or trade. From a guy who played so many years and been injured so offen what choice do we have.

Can't comment without knowing his potential for recovery.

T Hine- Shown some really good form in the VFL this year. Havent seen too many games this year of him but from what I have heard be has been playing well as a shut down defender. Pretty much what he was recruited for, possible delist for me too but happy for him to stay on the list.

Got me a little buggered why he hasn't been given chances. A disciplined small defender has been a pretty big need.

T Garner- Injury has killed him this year.

Yeh mothball.

R Nahas- Looked really good this year and is really only a LT type player with an average kick, are we really gonna settle for these type of players, very one dimensional and a shocking kicking style to go with it.

Disagree. He absolutely justified his recruitment and as long as he maintain that intensity gets another year.

B Harvey- Had an outstanding year so far.For me when he is tagged he should be played deep forward. Most taggers dont like deep forward but BS doesnt seem to use him much there. Why not have Boomer and LT playing out of the goal square on occasions.

Yep.

T Curran- Delist

Might have to make way unless the club is very confident about his recovery.

C Delany- Need to see more of.

Worth the wait.

M Wood- Mystery why this guy hasnt played this year. His form has been pretty good and he can play high half forward or wing very easily. An awesome kick and he could and should come in for Black this week, if he doesnt the NMFC arent fair dinkum.

Should've had a taste though I'd have dropped him back after that unless he lit it up.

M Wilkins- Been played as a backman for a couple of years, but been tried as a forward the last couple of weeks. Been showing quite a bit of promise as a forward but needs to show more.

Not sure. Looked to have talent early but also very raw still.

J McMillan- Really missed his run.

Yeh.

A Black- Needs a rocket up his A***. Why havent they experimented with him down back??

Needs surgery. Pack him off.

J Tippet- Really happy with his progress.

Looked decent.

M Daw- Its slow progress with Daw but I really think his best position is ruck. He is not an out an out forward. Definitely should play ruck if Goldy gets injured.

I think his progress in the last 5 weeks has been sound. His smarts at VFL improve all the time, bring that to the big stage and he can be something special.

A Mullet- Was an outstanding year for the young fella last year but since the tattoo has gone backwards. Dont know where his best position is but willing to throw it out there. Could play forward I guess sparingly.

ozzyoslo likes this.

S Gibson- Awesome runner of the team and suited in the middle. Not a real contested possession winner though. Good player but does turn it over a fair bit. In the LA mould gets it a million times but turns it over a lot too.

Earns his spot but not without weaknesses.

M Warren-Delist.

I actually think he looks an ok compact little player.

S McMahon-Delist

If he's happy to stay as depth I'd keep.

B Brown- A player that has done quite a bit so far in his 3 games. Like his passion and for me at 200cm deserves a real crack at a forward line spot going into the future.

Agree.

I'd like to see Mullett get a run in the middle more often or wing/half forward. Kicks goals, has pace that we lack with Wells out.

Perhaps a little out there, but thought Aaron Black getting a run through the middle to see what he could do in there, not unlike a Mundy type.
He usually has clean hands, obviously against a saints or gws it could have been an experiment for 10 mins or so or even nab cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back