Review VFL round 2, 2014 - Box Hill Hawks v Sandringham, 13 April 2014, 2.00pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back home now. Gahhhhh!!!!! :mad: BLOODY DRAW!! :mad: Still Box Hill made it hard for themselves by letting Sandy get such a big lead in the first quarter. Why did they wait a whole quarter to bring Lake on? :confused: Thought he was great when he came on, especially late in the game, taking his trademark intercept marks. No Wanganeen either, assume he must have flown up to the Gold Coast too (I knew they would have taken at least two emergencies!). I thought both Stratton and Schoey were good although I didn't notice Statts so much towards the end of the game.

Stratts and lake are ready.

Shoe needs more time, and the seniors team he dropped out of is not as good as the one hes trying to get back in

Also was clearing his nostrils a lot, if he has the cold I have it was a good effort

Ha, ha! I noticed that too about Schoey! (I have a cold as well, they must be going around :D )

Thought I might as well go down today and see the boys. Get there at qtr time and we are 7 + goals down. Wot.....

Anyway it was a bit disappointing to draw considering we were up by 7 with about a minute to go but here's a few snippits of what I saw

. Stratts will be a walk up start to Easter Monday. Very good
. Boxer was great for the most part. A bit slow but really hard and a long kick. Reminds me a bit of Mitch Robinson (not in a bad way). Kicked 2 in the last qtr
. Lake didn't come on until the 2nd from memory. Looked pretty rusty even though you could see his class (if that makes sense). Played forward line in the last qtr and missed a sitter. Doubt he'll play on Easter Monday
. Schoey played forward line. Kicked a very soft goal in the 2nd but didn't do much else. Similar to Lake, I don't think he'll play against Geelong on Easter Monday
. Lowden played well I thought. Kicked a couple from a couple of nice grabs. Don't think he'll ever make it at Hawthorn but think he can be a good VFL player. Doesn't offer enough at ground level to make it at AFL
. Like the look of Hartung. Needs to be a bit more careful with decision making at times but other than that was a decent contributor
. Brand (I think it was) moves well. A very smooth mover
. Disappointed with TOB. Would be surprised if he got more than 5 possessions and didn't seem to have any presence. Would be lucky to get a game next week in the BH 1's let alone Hawthorn. I know he's young and very skinny but really needs to improve
. Was Wangers playing? I didn't see him
. Reckon Sicily will be something. So slight but seems to have good skills and a football brain

P.S. Not sure about anyone else but I can't really get into BH games at all. Not nearly as much as Hawthorn anyway. Even though I'm only a 5 min drive away from BHCO, the only reason I really go down is to look at the Hawthorn boys. I was at the Davey St end for the last quarter where all the "cheersquad" was and I tried to get into the chant but just couldn't....

Hallahan was massive today. After the first quarter mess he put his head down and just kept putting in. Every time he came off the ground he was absolutely buggered. Gave his all.
Brand and Sicily look to have bright futures. Sicily just has class.
Hartung just goes and goes. I hope he gets a game in the ones soon. I think he'll benefit from highly skilled guys around him.

Lowden was good in the ruck. Did ok around the ground. Liked his game.

Stratton and Lake solid, with Lake almost saving us the game late with those 2 big marks. Good to see Schoey out there competing hard.

Not the best outcome, but considering how poorly the team started there were some real positives.

I went to my first Box Hill game for quite some time and must say the only positives I got from the game were that Lake, Stratton and the Shoe all got through unscathed.
Lake played less than 3 quarters and is several classes above VFL footy. He was probably the only bloke in our team who could take a contested mark. Probably needs another week for fitness.
Stratton will probably come in for Spangher. Didn't set the world on fire but looks fit enough.
Schoenmakers needs a few more weeks.
Grimley and Wanganeen didn't play.
Hallahan probably should get a game soon just to see how he goes. He has his limitations but can mark and kick a goal. An unfashionable midfielder like Sewell.

Other rash impressions based on one game:
Did we get one decent centre clearance today? Lowden's taps seemed to be straight to the Sandy midfielders particularly Cook.
Is our delivery into the forward 50 usually as poor as it was today.If it is Grimley must be a champion to kick multiple goals.
I liked the look of Hartung and Sicily. They won't play AFL for a while but show a bit of class.
No one else is kicking the door down to get promotion.

I went to my first Box Hill game for quite some time and must say the only positives I got from the game were that Lake, Stratton and the Shoe all got through unscathed.
Lake played less than 3 quarters and is several classes above VFL footy. He was probably the only bloke in our team who could take a contested mark. Probably needs another week for fitness.
Stratton will probably come in for Spangher. Didn't set the world on fire but looks fit enough.
Schoenmakers needs a few more weeks.
Grimley and Wanganeen didn't play.
Hallahan probably should get a game soon just to see how he goes. He has his limitations but can mark and kick a goal. An unfashionable midfielder like Sewell.

Other rash impressions based on one game:
Did we get one decent centre clearance today? Lowden's taps seemed to be straight to the Sandy midfielders particularly Cook.
Is our delivery into the forward 50 usually as poor as it was today.If it is Grimley must be a champion to kick multiple goals.
I liked the look of Hartung and Sicily. They won't play AFL for a while but show a bit of class.
No one else is kicking the door down to get promotion.

Good summation , we were smashed out of the middle. Sam Isles and Mitch were great around the ground but at stoppages Sandringham were exceptional. Entertaining game of footy , great for the guys to get back into the contest but was disappointing not to close it out when 7 points up with 2 minutes to play.

I'd play Lake next week.

Echols do you think hartung should get a gig ahead of hallahan
Probably not, no.

Mainly because I think it would send the wrong message.

I haven't been a big fan of Hallahan before today, and maybe he might not have what we are looking for in order to give him games or another contract, but I was really impressed with his effort.

Probably not, no.

Mainly because I think it would send the wrong message.

I haven't been a big fan of Hallahan before today, and maybe he might not have what we are looking for in order to give him games or another contract, but I was really impressed with his effort.

That's why I think he should be given a game - even if it's to increase trade value

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sandy were great early on, particularly the first qtr. played all over us. BH did great to get back into the game but ignoring that they grabbed the lead at the end (and probably should have won) I thought sandy had the better of us overall. Just to add to what has already been said I thought Litherland, Ross and O'Donnell did well at times too. I saw a couple of costly errors from brand.

Sandy's US experiment smashed lowden at the stoppages, impressive for a seppo. And Really impressed with billings and acres too, and lee also looks a good prospect.

According to the VFL Match Centre...

BOX HILL HAWKS

Goal Kickers: M. Hallahan 3, L. Lowden 2, P. Lawlor 2, B. Ross 2, M. O''Donnell 2, J. Sicily , W. Hartung , L. Tobin , R. Schoenmakers
Best Players: M. Lock, S. Iles, M. Hallahan, B. Lake, A. Litherland, B. Stratton
SANDRINGHAM
Goal Kickers: S. Ross 3, T. Lee 3, C. Shenton 2, T. Milera 2, A. Siposs , A. Schneider , B. Murdoch , T. Dennis-Lane
Best Players: A. Cockie, T. Simpkin, T. Milera, S. Ross, P. Flanagan, M. Weller

And the DT won 146-42 according to the VFL Match Centre...

BOX HILL HAWKS

Goal Kickers: T. Gordon 8, S. Cust 5, M. Northe 3, B. Wood 2, J. Stewart , R. Monkhorst , A. Franetic , S. Crocker
Best Players: B. Wood, T. Gordon, S. Cust, M. Northe, L. Andrews, T. Goodwin
SANDRINGHAM
Goal Kickers: J. Blenkinsop 2, W. McTaggart , D. Markworth , L. Ritchie
Best Players: D. Minchington, L. Barnhoorn, C. Kelso, J. Davis, D. Markworth, D. Weickhardt

Thanks for the feedback guys. Nice to hear Sicily mentioned again (for good reasons). That's three games in a row!

Anyone know if Shem played for the DT, and if so, how did he go?

That's why I think he should be given a game - even if it's to increase trade value
I guess that's fair enough, but I'm not sure we'd ever go down that path(trying to get his worth up). I don't know.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Nice to hear Sicily mentioned again (for good reasons). That's three games in a row!

Anyone know if Shem played for the DT, and if so, how did he go?
Shem didn't do a lot. His first game for the year though, so take it with a grain of salt.

He took a couple of nice marks. Looks a lot fitter than when I saw him run out for Oakleigh last year, and hunts the ball.

As we all know he's a work in progress.

I thought Webster was a bit quiet this week. I think O'Brien is just a bit out of form, saw him play plenty of good games last year. Sicily is good but very quick to get into a fight. While it's good that he doesn't take any crap, he's been involved in fisticuffs in all three matches already, he might want to settle down a bit or else the umps might decide to report him eventually. I think Hartung is good but I don't expect him to get a game before Hallahan who played a great game today. Definitely agree Lake is a class above, he is so much fun to watch! Well when he marks that is, some of his kicks not so good o_O I think he'll get at least another game at Box Hill and will be interested to see (hear?) how he pulls up. Still a bit baffled as to why he didn't some on until the second quarter. Suspect his calf is not quite right yet.

Stratton_Gun Wanganeen didn't play. Thought maybe he went to the Gold Coast as an emergency but then Hallahan was supposed to have gone up there and he was back here to play today so not sure why Wangers didn't play :confused:

I wonder if Box Hill is suffering from the change of personnel and the change of coach. They don't seem to be playing as well as a team this year as they were last year. They might gel together a bit better when they get a few more games under their belt and the team settles down a bit in terms of players.

Not a lot of talk about Ross so far this season, considering his record. Not doing enough yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloody Murphy, it was all his fault. If he hadn't missed that easy shot at goal and turned it over in the middle we would have won

Stratts should be back at Hawthorn next week. Would love to see Lake there too but probably won’t happen. He's such a good player, seems a waste to have him at Box Hill.

Lowden had another week of playing through injury. He hurt his shoulder in the first quarter, but with Grimley & Big Boy watching from the stands, he had to play on. His shoulder was taped up, but you could see it was causing him problems.

Sicily definitely loves a fight, he’ll even re-ignite someone else’s that’s fizzled out. Good to see that late in the game he channeled his aggression & kicked an important goal. Hopefully, he’ll do this more as his game develops.

Shem didn't do a heap, but there are some good signs. He’s big & strong. But best of all, he knows that he’s big & strong. He relishes the physical side of football without being over aggressive about it.

And he has that quick side-step that you often see with players from Rugby areas. He started the game with the heightened enthusiasm you’d expect from someone who’s been out for a while, but did settle enough to get into the play a bit, including giving off a couple of neat passes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back