VFL VFL v Box Hill Hawks. Sunday April 16th @ Box Hill Oval. 12pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats after a tough day at the office in the wet.

VFL: Fin Macrae - 29 disposals. 9 tackles. 4 clearances
Carmichael - 28 disposals. 0.2, 9 clearances, 3 tackles
Ruscoe - 24 disposals. 7 marks
Murley - 13 disposals. 2 goals. 3 tackles. 3 clearances
Kelly - 12 disposals. 5 tackles
Steene - 11 disposals. 22 hitouts. 3 clearances
Reef - 7 disposals. 7 tackles. 1 goal
Harrison - 9 disposals. 9 tackles. 1 goal
Kreuger - 3 disposals. 1 goal. 5 hitouts. 2 clearances

felt Macrae was our best, but Carmy was close 2nd, very good as well.

So Krueger didn't spend much time in the ruck today? I'm thinking he's nowhere near a call up for Anzac Day..

I think Markov had 15 disposals.

ruscoe, macrae (carrying a niggle) and Carmy were the standouts in a horrible game so no surprise with the stat sheet. Hopefully get allan and Ryan back next week. We really need to draft some developing talls this off season. Desperately. Or now with Steene move begg to the backline and try it out, once he’s back…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree re Richards, could have got Scully with that pick. The other 2 you mentioned were already gone. We have plenty of smaller players on our list

agree re Richards, could have got Scully with that pick. The other 2 you mentioned were already gone. We have plenty of smaller players on our list
Not if we didn't trade our pick 30 for a future pick with Carlton but I see your point. Hopefully he turns it round and proves most of us wrong

ruscoe, macrae (carrying a niggle) and Carmy were the standouts in a horrible game so no surprise with the stat sheet. Hopefully get allan and Ryan back next week. We really need to draft some developing talls this off season. Desperately. Or now with Steene move begg to the backline and try it out, once he’s back…
I was talking to Ryan at the vfl game..

Its an issue with the disc in his back. He isn't sure when he is back, but the bye after next week should help.

I was talking to Ryan at the vfl game..

Its an issue with the disc in his back. He isn't sure when he is back, but the bye after next week should help.
Along with the fingers & shoulders, the back seems to be the next most popular injury at the Pies 🤕

Not sure a speculative tall would make a difference. If we're loathe to try Steene/Kelly in the firsts despite our injuries, a speculative 18 year old late draft pick tall would be even worse.

We've just been unlucky that our injuries seem to only target our tall players.
A speculative tall has upside - what upside did Richard have?

Similar upside to Johnny Noble. What upside did Corey Gault have?
Richards is a small fwd - no upside, given we are well stocked for same.

Scully Or Lemmey were worth the risk given our lack of young developing KPF. It may have made us a bit too heavy on talls but so be it.

Gault was given a chance to make it and failed - it’s an illogical reason to deny other young KPF’s an opportunity because he failed.

Richards is a small fwd - no upside, given we are well stocked for same.

Scully Or Lemmey were worth the risk given our lack of young developing KPF. It may have made us a bit too heavy on talls but so be it.

Gault was given a chance to make it and failed - it’s an illogical reason to deny other young KPF’s an opportunity because he failed.
Richards was drafted as a midfielder. He can be developed anywhere.

Lemmey was gone by the Richards pick. Scully was basically the last pick of the draft. Neither of those guys would help us in our current predicament because if they were actually called up to play AFL they would be useless and we have less chance of winning when we are right in our window.

I agree that Richards will probably get delisted after his 2 year contract is up. But thats what you expect from a late third round pick. And it's an easy way to create new list spots. The issue with getting a raw late pick tall is that you're essentially signing up to invest 4+ years in them where they could clog the list. Similar to what we did with Max Lynch, Gault, Kelly, Wilson etc. And if you need to turnover the list like we did with McMahon it's seen as a waste of everyones time as we would've drafted him knowing he won't show anything in first 2 years. Probably why the McMahon family is filthy.

The time to draft late speculative talls is when we're rebuilding (we started doing that end of 2020 with McMahon, Begg). But when we're right in the window, the right strategy is to target a ready made gun KPP like the top teams did with Cameron, Lynch, May, Franklin, Frawley etc.

Was the best game I think I have seen Murley play. Especially given the conditions were not suited to his light frame
Still a long way back but hopefully he can string a block of improved form together

Really need to give macrae a block of senior games

In place of whom? Macrae has only really shown aptitude as a centre square clearance player and those roles in our AFL side are all presently full.

Macrae’s poor past performances on wing and up forward really limit his positional flexibility and selection chances until one of our AFL inside mids succumbs to injury/suspension.

(He probably won’t have to wait too long!)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Richards was drafted as a midfielder. He can be developed anywhere.

Lemmey was gone by the Richards pick. Scully was basically the last pick of the draft. Neither of those guys would help us in our current predicament because if they were actually called up to play AFL they would be useless and we have less chance of winning when we are right in our window.

I agree that Richards will probably get delisted after his 2 year contract is up. But thats what you expect from a late third round pick. And it's an easy way to create new list spots. The issue with getting a raw late pick tall is that you're essentially signing up to invest 4+ years in them where they could clog the list. Similar to what we did with Max Lynch, Gault, Kelly, Wilson etc. And if you need to turnover the list like we did with McMahon it's seen as a waste of everyones time as we would've drafted him knowing he won't show anything in first 2 years. Probably why the McMahon family is filthy.

The time to draft late speculative talls is when we're rebuilding (we started doing that end of 2020 with McMahon, Begg). But when we're right in the window, the right strategy is to target a ready made gun KPP like the top teams did with Cameron, Lynch, May, Franklin, Frawley etc.
Per bolded - I said “developing” KPF’s which by definition means they couldn’t assist with our current predicament.
We cut McMahon, so clearly we no longer give talls 4 years.
Flag window is a moot digression to this debate - developing KPF’s is NOT a substitute for recruiting ready made talls, many clubs do both.

In place of whom? Macrae has only really shown aptitude as a centre square clearance player and those roles in our AFL side are all presently full.

Macrae’s poor past performances on wing and up forward really limit his positional flexibility and selection chances until one of our AFL inside mids succumbs to injury/suspension.

(He probably won’t have to wait too long!)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Are we really though given we still see the likes of Elliott, Nick and Josh Daicos getting centre square rotations? Doesn't make squeezing him in any easier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back