Autopsy Vs giants

Remove this Banner Ad

so noting for Mumford and his tackle on libba. Probably fair enough. From the replay i wasn't sure if there was a second movement from Mumford - obviously nt.
Agree with this but I think Greene got off lightly - should have been a month.

In other news Ziebell (who last week put Cloke out of the game for a month or more) was investigated for a bump to the head on GCS' Brandon Matera. No surprise that this serial offender got off again.

One of these days someone with a long term brain injury is going to sue the AFL/MRP for not providing enough protection from repeat offenders.

Look, I do see Reds value, but tbh with Boyd and Roughy in the Gf team, Red's inclusion may have lessened our forward pressure I know he tackles hard , but nowhere near the numbers ( ie Smith).

Now with Cloke on board, I'm concerned for Reds place in our team. We can't go in with 3 big forwards. I'm not sure we need 2

Nice to have depth but I get a feeling Red may be moved on at season end.
With the way we are looking to play this year I think Red would be incredibly useful (Friday night aside but not every game is going to be as much of an arm wrestle as that one). We're looking to honour leads inside 50 much more often (see the article Dannn posted last week, our marks inside 50 being much higher and efficiency with scores from inside 50 higher also backs this up).

Red is just about our best forward on the lead and one of our better kicks at goal. I think he'd easy have 10-15 odd goals to his name if he was fit right now.

I think his form has sort of been forgotten a bit last year, he kicked 20 goals from 10 games and that was in a set up that didn't suit him in the slightest. We'd kick long and deep almost exclusively and we know he's not the greatest contested mark (although he crashes a pack like none other on our list, meaning goals for our smalls) and also from memory he played a lot of those games without Boyd meaning plenty of time in the ruck, again obviously not a strength of his.

This year, play Boyd as the long target for the highball, and 2nd ruck, with Red as the lead up forward and considering how much better were hitting up players inside 50 this would be a terrific combo of talls IMO.

Just a shame he won't be back to match fitness for quite a while you wouldn't think

With the way we are looking to play this year I think Red would be incredibly useful (Friday night aside but not every game is going to be as much of an arm wrestle as that one). We're looking to honour leads inside 50 much more often (see the article Dannn posted last week, our marks inside 50 being much higher and efficiency with scores from inside 50 higher also backs this up).

Red is just about our best forward on the lead and one of our better kicks at goal. I think he'd easy have 10-15 odd goals to his name if he was fit right now.

I think his form has sort of been forgotten a bit last year, he kicked 20 goals from 10 games and that was in a set up that didn't suit him in the slightest. We'd kick long and deep almost exclusively and we know he's not the greatest contested mark (although he crashes a pack like none other on our list, meaning goals for our smalls) and also from memory he played a lot of those games without Boyd meaning plenty of time in the ruck, again obviously not a strength of his.

This year, play Boyd as the long target for the highball, and 2nd ruck, with Red as the lead up forward and considering how much better were hitting up players inside 50 this would be a terrific combo of talls IMO.

Just a shame he won't be back to match fitness for quite a while you wouldn't think

I agree with you on most aspects of Reds value, but my point was with Cloke now on board where does that leave him ? No way would we run with all 3 unless BTC was ignored as a ruck option and we went with Boyd. Then perhaps Cloke and Red could be the KPF's. Still wary in an age of fast flowing footy whether 3 lumbering types fit in.

I agree with you on most aspects of Reds value, but my point was with Cloke now on board where does that leave him ? No way would we run with all 3 unless BTC was ignored as a ruck option and we went with Boyd. Then perhaps Cloke and Red could be the KPF's. Still wary in an age of fast flowing footy whether 3 lumbering types fit in.
Yeah absolutely wouldn't play all 3 of em but knowing our luck I doubt they'd ever all be fit at the same time anyway! Would be nice if we just had 2/3 right now. And I'm not sold on Cloke yet either tbh, actually think Red would suit our style better this year, and added bonus of being much younger too.

I don't like having too many lumbering talls either and Boyd, Campbell, Red/Cloke is right on the limit but Roughy and in the future English instead of Campbell is a different story.

I've only got the Crows ahead of us at the moment. Don't rate Geelong overly. Both Adelaide and Cats don't have the quality depth to go hard all season IMO.

Only the Giants and us have the necessary depth and the quality IMO.

I still think the Dee's could do some damage. WC could too if they can get it right at the G mentally.

Not worried about anyone else.

Certainly think we should make top 4. Top 2 would be preferable.
I'm still not sold on the crows. No doubt they're one of the best right now (in a year that's shaping up to be pretty even at the top) but even the first quarter yesterday showed they're not unstoppable when you pressure them and beat em around the ball, which we do best. As long as we sort out our ****ing goal kicking I reckon we'll account for them reasonably easily

Yeah absolutely wouldn't play all 3 of em but knowing our luck I doubt they'd ever all be fit at the same time anyway! Would be nice if we just had 2/3 right now. And I'm not sold on Cloke yet either tbh, actually think Red would suit our style better this year, and added bonus of being much younger too.

I don't like having too many lumbering talls either and Boyd, Campbell, Red/Cloke is right on the limit but Roughy and in the future English instead of Campbell is a different story.

Oh yeah. Like our future set up much more. English and Rough sharing ruck, Boyd and either Red or Cloke as KPF. BUT... even then you have to wonder if Cloke and Red will be playing and or needed. Rough and English rotating at FF, Boyd at CHF. And the new boys in the VFL may be ready for some action. So the quandary still remains. That's why I think Red may be on the trade table at season end, and Cloke's not long term. If both become redundant it only means our talls are looking good.

Agree with this but I think Greene got off lightly - should have been a month.

In other news Ziebell (who last week put Cloke out of the game for a month or more) was investigated for a bump to the head on GCS' Brandon Matera. No surprise that this serial offender got off again.

One of these days someone with a long term brain injury is going to sue the AFL/MRP for not providing enough protection from repeat offenders.

Toby
Headhunter
Undisciplined
Green

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Mumford should be suspended however he should at least be getting some kind of warning. One day he will put someone in a wheelchair.

The aim of a tackle is to stop a player and hopefully get the ball off them. The side-effect of this contact is that sometimes players get hurt. Unfortunately for Mumford the aim is to hurt and the other (in play) parts become secondary.

I mean Kane Cornes was having a bitchfit in the Advertiser about how it was trial by media for this like the media should have somehow just gone "let's just see how this plays out maybe it's only going to be a fine" when it's a serial grub punching someone in the face literally the week after he got let off for headbutting.

I don't think Mumford should be suspended however he should at least be getting some kind of warning. One day he will put someone in a wheelchair.

The aim of a tackle is to stop a player and hopefully get the ball off them. The side-effect of this contact is that sometimes players get hurt. Unfortunately for Mumford the aim is to hurt and the other (in play) parts become secondary.
Yep Mumford is a bully and Greene is a sociopath. He thinks it's ok to act however he wants. Both deserve to leave the ground with assistance next time we meet. Unfortunately squaring up is all but finished now and I reckon Greene knows it. Mumfords legacy will be/is tarnished imho.

I mean Kane Cornes was having a bitchfit in the Advertiser about how it was trial by media for this like the media should have somehow just gone "let's just see how this plays out maybe it's only going to be a fine" when it's a serial grub punching someone in the face literally the week after he got let off for headbutting.
Isn't he part of the media? Wants to cash cheques for asinine commentary and then turn around and bite the hand that feeds him. Loser.

Don't recall him having a problem with "trial by media" when words were exchanged with Will Minson, either.

No worries. It looks like a piddling ground because there are no big stands but I think they deliberately made it to reflect the MCG dimensions for cricketing purposes. Probably goes back to the Menzies influence (Victorian and a cricketing fanatic, started the PM's XI tradition).

Also, when I checked the dimensions I saw that Eureka Stadium (Ballarat) is almost the same width as the MCG but 10m longer. That makes it the biggest of the Victorian venues. 12m wider and 10m longer than Etihad. Skilled Stadium is the same length as Eureka but 23m narrower.
Coulda sworn they said it was the exact same dimensions as ES.

Coulda sworn they said it was the exact same dimensions as ES.
They might have (not sure who "they" are!). My source is the AFL Season Record which says:
MCG 160 x 141
Etihad 159.5 x 128.8
Simonds 170 x 117
Eureka 170 x 140
Manuka 162.5 x 138.4​

Is Libba ok for Saturday? Any news?
Someone reported elsewhere (injury thread or Rd 7 v Richmond thread) that he was much improved and "would be assessed" according to standard procedure. Sounded optimistic.

As long as we sort out our ******* goal kicking I reckon we'll account for them reasonably easily

After many moons of pleading with the missus (clinical hypnotherapist), she has finally agreed to treat our forwards (in lieu of a birthday present - I figure a second flag will do the trick!). Anyone know who I should contact at the club about it? I'm not even kidding, don't think I can actually put up with watching another game lost to an inability to kick regulation set shots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back