2nds WAFL/WAFL Reserves Thread 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

He is starting convert me slowly, I have hated him and his game style.

But his last 5 weeks the things about his game I have hated e.g. tackling kicking hardness

Have all been very good, seen him go back and mark the footy where he could of been cleaned up very courageous.

Starting to feel he could come into the AFL side and do a job for us.

Our depth is looking better.
Could not agree more. Thought he was just midfield insurance in case the young midfielders weren't ready but I'm almost converted. That set shot, 40m out from the Midland end in front of the can bar was just a confident assured kick that I wouldn't have expected from him round 1.

If he continues like this I would be happy for him to be elevated at the end of the year. Wouldn't even mind him playing next week instead of Selwood.

I dont get to watch much WAFL but on here it seemed before his debue that the general consensus on McInnes was that he is no good and will never make it in the AFL.

Seems as though something has clicked for him? is he playing better since the debue? i was surprised he wad so good at AFL level based on observations on here.
I still don't think he will make it.

Going on your previous descriptions it would be.
I acknowledged that it was the best I'd seen him play. Why am I not allowed to share the viewpoint that his natural role won't really see him make it as an AFL player?

Starting to feel he could come into the AFL side and do a job for us.
That set shot, 40m out from the Midland end in front of the can bar was just a confident assured kick that I wouldn't have expected from him round 1.
I think we all underestimated how badly he needed to be de-Carltoned.

Melbourne has been the yardstick for poor development in recent years, however Carlton would surely now have overtaken them in that regard.

Our recruiters made a wise decision in rookie-ing him.

Whys that?
He's not good enough at any position in particular. He doesn't impact enough as a deep forward. He's doesn't have the balance, agility or strength below his knees to be a quality half forward. He's nothing more than a pinch hitting ruckman. He's a bit like Kepler but in a team with an abundance of high quality talls.

He may last a while because he's good depth, can fill in a number of roles and retain our structure, I just can't see him ever being best 22.

He's not good enough at any position in particular. He doesn't impact enough as a deep forward. He's doesn't have the balance, agility or strength below his knees to be a quality half forward. He's nothing more than a pinch hitting ruckman. He's a bit like Kepler but in a team with an abundance of high quality talls.

He may last a while because he's good depth, can fill in a number of roles and retain our structure, I just can't see him ever being best 22.

What are your thoughts on playing him over Sinclair? Sinclair has been competitive (but not dominant) in the ruck at AFL level but despite his work rate he seems pretty ineffective around the ground... it feels like we're playing half a player down. I thought McInnes showed just a little more when he played.

" THE WEST AUSTRALIAN " AFL WATCH

Tom Barrass :
Just 10 touches but continues to develop well as key defender .
Jamie Bennell : Had 16 disposals . His ball use diminished as the game progressed .
Paddy Brophy : Showed glimpses of form however had little impact .
Brandt Colledge : Was busy in the midfield with 29 possessions and eight clearances .
Malcolm Karpany : Strong reserves effort with 24 disposals .
Tom Lamb : Limited game time in reserves . Displayed limited interest as key forward .
Kane Lucas : Busy on the ball and as a wingman , had 23 disposals .
Scott Lycett : Strong start but faded so badly had no kicks after first term .
Fraser McInnes : Rucked well for 29 hit-outs but no impact in attack ; no kicks in second half .
Jackson Nelson : Patchy effort however displayed excellent skills in limited impact .
Murray Newman : Strong start but another player with no presence in the second half .
Rowen Powell : Tried in a new role as an on-baller . Barely had any influence .
Matt Rosa : East Perth's best player with 32 touches in midfield at 79 per cent efficiency .

AS others have posted Rosa probably too good for WAFL , Lucas continues on . Main did play reserves but The West forget that he plays for West Coast ..:cool::confused:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to more good reports about Lucas. Hopefully he can prove me wrong and keep pushing for a spot.

The only thing Lucas is good for IMO is keeping pressure on the blokes above to play well

He is a winger without great footskills. We saw on the weekend what that was like with Masto passing the ball.

He has about 5 or 6 ahead of him. If he is playing it means the injury gods are trolling us

What are your thoughts on playing him over Sinclair? Sinclair has been competitive (but not dominant) in the ruck at AFL level but despite his work rate he seems pretty ineffective around the ground... it feels like we're playing half a player down. I thought McInnes showed just a little more when he played.
It think Sinclair has been pretty effective in the ruck which has allowed us to retain pressure on the opposition whilst Nic rests. But you're right, he's struggled elsewhere.

I'm not sure McInnes would be as effective in the ruck. There's probably not enough exposed form. However, you'd suspect he'd be better around the ground.

I wouldn't necessarily be against it, we'd just need to decide what our structure and strategy should be for our second ruck.

I'm not sure McInnes would be as effective in the ruck. There's probably not enough exposed form. However, you'd suspect he'd be better around the ground.

Yes, I can't help thinking that we might regret not giving him 10-15% ruck time when he was in the side. Sinclair is averaging just under 20 HO per game (Naitanui at just under 33 for comparison) and Mcinnes averaged less than Yeo of all people (1.1. vs 0.9).

On the flip side, Lycett has had 7% more total time on ground (takes less rotations), kicked the same score (6.4) as Sinclair in 7 games vs 9 games, but notably has averaged 1.5 marks and 1 disposal higher. And his DE is 76% vs. 68%, clangers avg 1.1 vs 2.4. They are about tied for tackles. In Sinclair's favor, he is fourth in the team for 1%'s, which is pretty good for someone who doesn't play defense.

Stats aside, he does give us one extra tall option up forward - Darling did really well against Melbourne but tougher sides might give him more trouble.

I wouldn't necessarily be against it, we'd just need to decide what our structure and strategy should be for our second ruck.

Just to throw some names out, the other players with HO's to their name this season are Yeo (13), Shuey (3?!), Rosa (2) and Gov (1). I'd suggest that if Barrass came in, Gov might be able to do most of the rucking in the back 50, McInnes in the forward 50, and that would be enough support to allow Naitanui to ruck elsewhere.

It think Sinclair has been pretty effective in the ruck which has allowed us to retain pressure on the opposition whilst Nic rests. But you're right, he's struggled elsewhere.

I think McInness will still add weight and strength over the next two summers, and then he'll be head and shoulder above Sinclair. He has very good agility, skills and endurance for his size and is only now growing into his body and learning to really use his size and strength. Our previous strength and training regimen did him no favours. He needs to add strength, and he will. No reason he can't become a player ala QStick or Jason Ball, well worth keeping.

Good to hear the reports on Kane, very encouraging. Great job by the coaching staff, hope the improvement continues.

I think McInness will still add weight and strength over the next two summers, and then he'll be head and shoulder above Sinclair.

This is my read on him as well, the bloke was drafted in 2011 so is a year's draft class behind Lycett. He just seems to have come on so well this year, if his improvement continues there's every chance he plugs those holes in his game and finds a spot. If we don't play him I'm certain he would find a spot on another list if he wanted to shop himself around and contribute.

First time I've read one of those WAFL reports that is actually critical of players!

The Eagles obviously see McInnes rather than Lycett as the potential replacement for Sinclair as the 2nd ruckman. Sinclair has been pretty poor for a month but its all but flown under the radar due to Nicnat's super form. Nevertheless he must be running out of chances soon. As for Lycett it's a hell of a drop down the pecking order, he's now effectively the 4th choice ruckman. To think of all the drama that went on last sesaon with his contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back