Review WCE vs FD - Nab Challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

sTeeL

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Well, I managed to get down and was an interesting game. The bests I wrote down are IMO.

Fremantle 13.12 (90) def West Coast 11.15 (81),
Goals(WCE): 3 Wilson, 2 LeCras, Ebert, 1 Shuey, Embley, Kennedy, Darling
Goals(Freo): 4 Walters, 2 Mayne, Fyfe, Ballantyne, 1 Pavlich, Sandilands, Crowley
Best(WC): Shuey Darling Cox Ebert S Selwood Hams
Best(Freo): Sandilands Walters Ballantyne Fyfe

Team Positives:

• Forward Pressure was immense. The tackling from everyone was up and we created many turnovers. Managed to lock the ball in the forward half when we got it up there a lot of the time
  • Forward marking was well evident today. We hit a lot of targets inside the forward 50.
  • Ran out the game.
Team Negatives:

• Defense was abysmal at times. We let through several easy goals through silly things like multiple players going up and noone staying down.
  • Woosha was very happy to leave one of Freo's players free. In the first half, they were in the backline which led to some unnecessarily easy transfers out.
  • Not a lot of decent clearances today. Very scrappy in the middle.
  • Goal kicking. We went for the pockets way too often which meant low percentage scoring. We got the marks but to no avail.
  • Probably need to open our eyes more than simply just kicking down the line. PLenty of times I saw players free in the middle or opposite wing only to be ignored for a kick down the line.
I wont list all the players but ask if I miss someone you were interested in and ill add what I remember

Individuals:
Shuey - Bloody brilliant. Everywhere when on the ground and seemed to always find himself in space. One of the best goals Ive seen in a long time from an Eagle with his sheer determination trying to sprinting away from a closing Docker for a 60-65m run to goal from 45 out.

S Selwood - Started as attacking mid early and was in amongst it. Did a lot of good things. Very strong. After half time when Hill came on, he pretty much tagged him out of the entire game. Think Hill had about 3 possessions.

Ebert - Started very strong early. Took quite a few nice marks and was always running. Kicked a decent crumbing goal not unlike his earlier NAB Cup crumb(vs GCS i think?). Faded towards the end though.

Darling - I was blown away by how much impact he had on the game. Had he kicked straighter(believe he got 1.4) he would have been close to BOG.Tackled ferociously wherever he was which was everywhere. Saw him from the FP to the BP. He had probably half his game in the forward line and half on the wing. Will play Round 1.

Lycett - Subbed on at half time and had a minor impact. Tried in the ruck but not much you can do against big Sandi. What I did notice was his movement. Moves very smooth for a big man, and played rather intelligently. I watched him running forward in space to our 50 m line waiting for a grab and kick from West Coast but to no avail. Better option than just running to the pack of 20 players.

Waters - Did everyone see my call in the GDT. SUICIDAL! He ran head on at full tilt into 2 oncoming dockers and jumped up enough to get a knock on a few milliseconds before being absolutely flattened. Was like that all game and the trademark Waters diving mark came out a few times. Love his style.

Hams - Mystifies me that he is stuck on the rookie list. Probably top 6 or 7 on the ground, while he didnt directly impact on the scoreboard, several of his passes where to leading forwards which were marked.

Le Cras - Solid without being spectacular. Went in the middle for periods and was much the same

Kennedy - Movement, tackling and marking(about time he marked a few :rolleyes: ) where all up this week. Shame he didnt impact the scoreboard.

Cox - Shaded by Sandilands in the ruck but was having a good game to half time.

Masten - By the word this man made me furious today. Looked like he was out for a bloody stroll. He just jogged back and forth between the 50m arcs and was ineffectual at the most critical times. Barely laid a tackle hardly saw a sprint from him. I hope Woosha sets his hair on fire. That said, he did a couple of nice gathers and a few decent kicks but he better pull his finger out because that s**t wont wash in season proper.

Priddis - Was good in the clinches though quiet by his usual standards.

Nicoski - Generally okay. Did some really stupid things like an awful soccer attempt and awful awful snap over his head that proceeded directly OOBOTF. Needs to look for better options. Strijk/Darling>>>> Nicoski

Gaff - Runs alot. Has the most awkward bouncing style I have ever seen. Played outside well but he tends to sit in line with the ball carrier which means he doesn't get used much. Obviously with more confidence and with a bit more size he will probably go forward more. Doesn't look likely for Round 1.

Wilson - Had his best game of the preseason. Worked hard and while his goals he got were gimmes, he wasnt far off having 5/6. Just needed to convert more.

Lynch - The best I can say is he gives it his all. Better in the ruck and around the ground than Lycett but then again you would hope so. 3rd option in front of Lycett for this year. Played forward in bits with minimal influence. Took a couple of nice grabs.

Schofield/Mackenzie - Both were solid without being outstanding.

Hurn - Quiet for him. Must have played minimal minutes.

Smith - Quiet again.Had an oppurtunity to give us the lead in the final quarter from 45m out direct in front but missed. With his depth of kicking he needs to be hitting those.

Embley - Boy does he get some hate from the crowd. Nothing went right for him though. 15 m kick managed to go OOBOTF. His 20m kick for goal sprayed. Got in there at times when the ball was on the line but that was it. Mature body is the only thing keeping him even close to the side. If it was up to me, he would be depth but unlikely.

Rosa - Had a good game. Lots of link up and hit a few forwards on the tit.

Neates - Quiet

Brennan - Didn't even see him. Did he play?
Dalziell - Ditto.

Stevenson - Got a couple of nice runs and kicks. Nice size and good lope. Doesnt get it enough to be damaging though.

Thanks heaps for your updates throughout the game today sTeeL and for this write up now!!!

it is greatly appreciated by all the people like me who could not make it!

by the sounds of it quite a few positives from todays game. Reading peoples comments during the game, i am very pleased by the sound of Shuey's game, along with darling, ebert and wilson.

Again thanks!

Thanks heaps for your updates throughout the game today sTeeL and for this write up now!!!

it is greatly appreciated by all the people like me who could not make it!

Ditto, it was fantastic work Steel.

Greatly appreciated by those of us who were too lazy to get out of bed in time to get to Freo too :cool:

Individuals:

Masten - By the word this man made me furious today. Looked like he was out for a bloody stroll. He just jogged back and forth between the 50m arcs and was ineffectual at the most critical times. Barely laid a tackle hardly saw a sprint from him. I hope Woosha sets his hair on fire. That said, he did a couple of nice gathers and a few decent kicks but he better pull his finger out because that s**t wont wash in season proper.

Nicoski - Generally okay. Did some really stupid things like an awful soccer attempt and awful awful snap over his head that proceeded directly OOBOTF. Needs to look for better options. Strijk/Darling>>>> Nicoski

Schofield/Mackenzie - Both were solid without being outstanding.

Smith - Quiet again.Had an oppurtunity to give us the lead in the final quarter from 45m out direct in front but missed. With his depth of kicking he needs to be hitting those.

Awesome write-up I agree with much of what you have said bar a few points though.

From what I saw Masten did well, worked hard with and without the ball, I thought he ran hard applied pressure and laid a number of effective tackles in congested situations generally kicked to advantage, but is just horrible infront of goal.

Nicoski just has NOTHING can someone tell me what he does :confused: He's pathetic in the air, can't pick it up off the ground and therefore soccers it along and any sort of physical contact from his opponent and he wilts? My grandmother could side step around him and then run away because he has no commitment to the tackle.

E-mac doesnt get the credit he deserves here, he wins 50-50 contests, spoils well has great speed and he seemed much calmer today when he got the ball and used it much better well on his way to becoming one of the competitions best key defenders in my opinion.

Ash Smith doesn't play to his assets which is mainly his speed, he just doesn't use it. The shot he had in last was from 35 aswell making it all the more worse.

Great day out at Freo Oval for a game of footy. I think Steel wrapped up alot of it so I won't repeat it all again.

Darling was awesome today. Wilson, Kennedy, Lecras and Darling are musts for Round 1. Darling really takes the pressure off Kennedy and Lecras and Wilson provides a good contest in the square. I know many here don't rate Wilson, but based on today, and the end of the past 2 seasons, Wilson needs to be in the team to push back into the square. Hams and Ebert also great up forward.

Scooter is really stepping up to the next level. One howler in the last quarter that nearly resulted in a goal, but the rest of the game was great from him. Shuey was great. Masten - meh!

Priddis was servicable. I finally see what some have been saying about his open field play and he won't lead this team to a premiership but we can't really get rid of him yet. He is still a great presence at stoppages and we probably need Stevens to step up to replace him.

Gaff showed a bit but needs some time in the WAFL - but maybe less than some here think. Rosa wasn't bad. Dalziel is a depth player.

Lycett showed a bit and moves well for a 200cm player. Cox retiring suddenly doesn't look as bad as it did 3 years ago. Cox was pretty good, providing real competition for Sandi - kept him honest.

Defensively we weren't too bad. Some errors but given we were missing Glass, Brown, Shep, Butler? I thought they did pretty well. MacKenzie will end up being a good KPD and we will have to wear his occasional disposal errors. Smith did pretty well defensively apart from one goal to Crowley. Stevenson needs to be an attacking winger delivering to I50.

Nicko and Embley tried hard today. Unfortunately both don't really offer anymore than the kids so I can't see any reason to keep playing them. I'm not one to bag them - both have given plenty to the club but they should be put to pasture.

Apart from that, I though we probably were dominant more of the day than Freo - especially after an abysmal first 15 mins. If Freo make the 8 this year, we won't finish last again. If we come last, Freo won't make the 8 with that performance.

I am hopefully WC are moving forward with this group. There was a lot to like today

Interesting game. Shuey was terrific, will make a real difference if he can stay on the park for you this year. Darling looks a player an Gaff is very tidy.
Cox looked excellent for the time he was on and LeCras is all class.
Lynch was surprisingly (at least to me) effective. Took some strong grabs.
On the negative side Masten was pretty terrible. Just seems to be lacking smarts more than anything. Embley looks to be past it & I don't really get why you persist with Nicoski.

Interesting game. Shuey was terrific, will make a real difference if he can stay on the park for you this year. Darling looks a player an Gaff is very tidy.
Cox looked excellent for the time he was on and LeCras is all class.
Lynch was surprisingly (at least to me) effective. Took some strong grabs.
On the negative side Masten was pretty terrible. Just seems to be lacking smarts more than anything. Embley looks to be past it & I don't really get why you persist with Nicoski.

Spot on about Lynch. Shouldn't be in the team for Round 1, but took some great grabs today and generally made good decisions. Usually maligned on BF but should get credit when deserved.

Masten just wasn't sighted really. I would rather Swift in the end - at least Swift gives you the odd glimpse of brilliance. Masten just hasn't go enough size or grit to go in the middle.

Well I was at the game

and this is my spin on it.

Beautiful conditions. Got myself some Samboy chips and was ready for cool entertainment

Eagles came out to warm up and not one bit of noise from the crowd.
Dockers came out with great cheers for their warm up.

I suddenly realised this is a prefect outing for the Eagles as far as playing away without travelling.

Anyway the game started and the Dockers were all over the Eagles.
I though oh - shite, a terrible media week coming up.
It s as if the Eagles didn't know the ground at all, playing a team that knew all the subtletees and angles of the ground.

In steps Jack DARLING, throws his weight around like a champion player would - turns the game with physical ferocity.

Shuey comes on in short bursts, and the Eagles look better when hes on.

Cox doing fairly well, Le Cras looking dangerous.
Hams not as damaging as usual.
Priddis having a quieter game.

Eagles follow Darlings lead and start tackiling their way back into the game.
Dockers seem to have lots of weavers and dodgers to create goals, but the Eagles always fighting.
Ngunza goes off imjured , and I hope we don't have any injuries come our way.

2nd quater and with Darling and Shuey sizzling, Eagles have some nice passages of play and get ahead.

Shuey perfoms a Judd - taking on and accelarating from the opposition with every stride for half the field (including subtle weaves and dodges) and then with a lazer boot kicks a great goal.
Eagles and Dockers fans next to me say, that Eagles have not seen this since the 2002-2007 era by a certain star.
Of course he gets taken off straight after and then the Dockers goal.

When Cox was subbed, Sandilands dominated so much it was like he had the ball on a string and toyed with everybody.

A few Eagels fumbles here and ther did not help the cause.

With Sandilands dominating the last few minutes was show time for the Dockers skilled weavers.

Fyfe is excellent and was a big influence in the last quater.

MASTEN played for Fremantle today.
Had one of those days.

LeCras came off the ground limping with a groin complaint at the end of the game.

WAS PROBRABLY NOTHING.

If we can get Kerr, Natanui, Glass in, and if we tackle like we are. we will win games !!!!!!!!!

I was however still abit worried that we lost because we fought hard and did'nt win. Still need to get our midfield totally sorted out

JACK DARLING MUST PLAY ROUND 1.

He has that Brereton nastiness.

It all up to the coaching comittee, because it really is impossible to pick our side, with the amount of options, bad or good.

One of the reasons why we are getting better is that.

We have matched it against Collingwood and Fremantle in the tackling depertment.
We are looking physically stronger and will get even stronger because we have the most in the comp for players between 20 and 24 and if we can match it now in the tackling stakes then next year will be better.

Should be noted, Darling played a lot on Pitt, who is neither a bacman nor big enough to play on Jack.
Did well though

I'm from Geelong and saw the Falcons play a fair bit and Pitt is/was a defender.

For Vic Country he was used as a wing/mid. Good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with most of the write ups from today's game but have to comment on a couple of things

There was a strong wind blowing across the ground today which did cause some disposal errors but on a whole we didn't make anywhere near as many costly errors as last week.

Our back line held up quite well but we looked vulnerable and slow when freo broke from our forward press. On a number of occasion that got behind the press resulting in easy goals. Another couple opportunistic crumbing goals let us down.

Masten had a serviceable game today and was far from the worst out there. Would have had the pill 15-20 times and apart from a couple of missed shots used the ball well in close and by foot. I suspect that unless Masten dominates
he will always have his doubters. Those questioning his work ethic must have
been at another game as I saw him cover heaps of territory an lay some
strong tackles.

Schofield kept jack Anthony goaless and rebounded well from defense. He was
starting to show the flair that marked him a good rebounding option early last
year. Very quick and never beaten one on one. Ditto Mckenzie.

Ash smith played one of his better games this year. He took some strong
marks and used his penetrating kick into the 50 on more than 1 occasion.

Gaff may be small and one sided but today I saw him get some space and use his pace to set up his teammates. I think he has adapted to AFL and we will see him sooner rather than later. One passage of play streaming down the wing he used footy smarts to center a pass to Lecras 35m out. Sounds simple but his vision and skill to hit up Lecras suggests to me he is going to be a talent. Had plenty of the ball today and apart from one clanger he held his own.

Callum Wilson was good today but as suggested he did get a couple of gimmys sitting out the back. He did not win any contested marks today but needs to improve to cement spot. For the record Lynch did not play forward today but was used off the bench for Ruck duties, and performed well in negating sandilands influence. He took some nice contested marks!

In my opinion Jack Darling would be ahead of both Wilson and lynch for FF if we choose to go small. Wilson, Darling, Kennedy & Lecras may work but with a
resting ruckman at times we will get slaughtered on the rebound.

Jack Darling is ready made to have an impact on the AFL as he gets to so many contests and usually influences them. If he can nail his opportunities in goal then we have potentially the best pick up in some while.

After being to all pre-season games so far this was the most impressive we have played IMO. All our young mids performed well, our key backs dominated and Big Jack announced himself as a sleeper from last years draft.
Now just get rid of Embley, Dalziell and A Selwood and we will be right!

How was Kennedy? Just wondering if pressure is mounting on his spot or is he still a certainty and very important.

Also agree with most of what's been said. The tackling was fantastic today and the skills were good, I thought we played well and despite the loss I'm very excited about the coming season.

Thoughts on a few players:

Lycett: I thought he moved well, looked OK in the ruck but got absolutely monstered by Sandilands, we pretty much gave them free center clearances by putting those two up against each other.

Darling: What can I say I'd be happy if we'd taken him at four. Had a big impact on the game. Agreed with what sTeel said in the op that if he'd kicked straight probs BOG. Definite for round 1 imo.

Ebert: Actually really liked his game today. Really clean hands and generally used the ball well.

Masten: I want him too be good as much as anyone but I can only comment on what I saw and he didn't look good at all. As I said in the other thread watched him in the warmup miss 4 pretty easy shots on goal in a row and unsurprisingly he wasted his chances in the match. Maybe his work in parts of the ground I didn't see saved him.... At this stage I would leave him out round 1.

On the bright side Shuey and Scooter looked fantastic.

Embley: Embley was for quite a long time my favourite player and I was really hoping to see him regain some touch and play a good game after a shocker last week. Unfortunately from what I saw he again had a very average game. There was one particular passage of play that happened right in front of me where Embley had Mackenzie shepherding for him and needed to run to the boundary and pick up the ball and instead let it go across the line. He just didn't look right to me and given where the team is at we really need to be playing youth over him, at the very best he has one year left in him, shouldn't play round 1 imo.

Shuey easily MOTM for us. Had a ripping game.

Agree on Steels thoughts on Masten. Looked soft and disinterested. Dont know what Lach is on about with Darling. Spent more time on Grover than anyone.

On Embley, eventually a players time runs out - and it can appear to happen quickly. He is in a very similar situation to Chad Cornes. If they don't choose to retire then you have to cut them loose I'm afraid. Their bad games are too damaging to make up for the very rare super game.

Also agree with most of what's been said. The tackling was fantastic today and the skills were good, I thought we played well and despite the loss I'm very excited about the coming season.

Thoughts on a few players:

Lycett: I thought he moved well, looked OK in the ruck but got absolutely monstered by Sandilands, we pretty much gave them free center clearances by putting those two up against each other.

Darling: What can I say I'd be happy if we'd taken him at four. Had a big impact on the game. Agreed with what sTeel said in the op that if he'd kicked straight probs BOG. Definite for round 1 imo.

Ebert: Actually really liked his game today. Really clean hands and generally used the ball well.

Masten: I want him too be good as much as anyone but I can only comment on what I saw and he didn't look good at all. As I said in the other thread watched him in the warmup miss 4 pretty easy shots on goal in a row and unsurprisingly he wasted his chances in the match. Maybe his work in parts of the ground I didn't see saved him.... At this stage I would leave him out round 1.

On the bright side Shuey and Scooter looked fantastic.

Embley: Embley was for quite a long time my favourite player and I was really hoping to see him regain some touch and play a good game after a shocker last week. Unfortunately from what I saw he again had a very average game. There was one particular passage of play that happened right in front of me where Embley had Mackenzie shepherding for him and needed to run to the boundary and pick up the ball and instead let it go across the line. He just didn't look right to me and given where the team is at we really need to be playing youth over him, at the very best he has one year left in him, shouldn't play round 1 imo.

Still don't know how he has become so bad....not just 'not the same player' bad, but 'looks like he's a foreigner filling in bad'. WTF happened?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back