We made the finals… Changes VS Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Rain forecast seems to be downgraded each day. It's now likely to be some rain Saturday morning in Perth but likely that it'll stop before lunch. With drainage these days, it's shaping up to be a dry weather game.
Their ground is a shocker though, surface will get chopped up quickly.

I get why people are suggesting it, but I think people forget that we've had Treloar playing half back/forward, Smith in a weaker role on the wing, and Macrae being put all over the park at times.

Libba injury or not, West still isn't top of the pile for mid time.
More than happy to see West get a little bit of onball time over Treloar & Baz at times. We’ve under-utilised it so far, probably because Bev doesn’t seem to rate him very highly. But he’s a beast inside the contest, he will go a long way to rectify our defensive issues in there when he has a desperation & will that few others do. I don’t know why we haven’t seen it utilised when we’ve been smashed in there to be honest.

With no Libba I’d feel a lot more confident with West taking some minutes than Treloar or Baz

More than happy to see West get a little bit of onball time over Treloar & Baz at times. We’ve under-utilised it so far, probably because Bev doesn’t seem to rate him very highly. But he’s a beast inside the contest, he will go a long way to rectify our defensive issues in there when he has a desperation & will that few others do. I don’t know why we haven’t seen it utilised when we’ve been smashed in there to be honest.

With no Libba I’d feel a lot more confident with West taking some minutes than Treloar or Baz
Westy's tank is the biggest reason we won't see him spend time in the middle imo, a centre clerance here or there but that's about it. If you watch him in the VFL he has great impact for a short period of time then walks from contest to contest and spends a lot of time forward. Needs another big pre-season before he's seriously considered as a mid in the AFL team. I agree with Dannnnnn we have enough mids to play with :)

I know you love West and I've undervalued him in the past, but none of this is actually evidenced by anything at AFL level. To have him above Treloar or Baz as a mid is ludicrous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I totally agree, I would go so far as to suggest that he is the only player on our list who has similiar desperate low to the ground in and under junk yard aggression. He will literally rip it out of the other blokes hands. His handball game is also very good. None of Treloar, Smith or Macrea are similiar. Treloar and Smith are our burst mids, Macrae is a tough extractor but is way taller, so getting the the real dirty ground balls under blokes that Libba does is not his one wood either. Dunkley can do a bit of it but again is much taller and has a higher centre of gravity.

Would love to give Garcia some more minutes in there as well. Happy if these two are rotated through covering Libba’s minutes and then we we’ve got amazing mid support for the first handball out with Bont, Macrea, Dunkley, Treloar and Smith.

When you consider this list of players, it’s astonishing that we don’t smash teams at the source constantly. Our ability to rotate class through there should be unparalleled.

On a side note, a potential challenge/silver lining to the Libba out is that it now requires some of our other senior players to really step up and be that barometer for the team. I actually think way too many of our guys leave it to Libba to set the tone. All of Bont, Macrea, Dunks, and Smith have the ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck and haven’t done it frequently this year. Dunks probably the best of the lot.

This is a player that’s been dropped from his small fwd role due to work rate issues.
He’s currently playing VFL.
Now some want him to come in and cover the role of the toughest, hardest working mid in the team. Ahead of other far more worthy teammates.

The Cult of West has well and truly arrived.

News.com.au article on Libba being out also mentioned Bailey Smith as being monitored ahead of the game :oops:

I know you love West and I've undervalued him in the past, but none of this is actually evidenced by anything at AFL level. To have him above Treloar or Baz as a mid is ludicrous.
There’s no evidence because it hasn’t been tried, just as earlier in the year there was no evidence he should be even playing AFL as he wasn’t given that chance and we all saw how that turned out - sometimes we need to look a little deeper than current available evidence

I definitely don’t have him above Treloar or Baz as a mid not saying that at all, he brings a different aspect to the midfield though and there’s room for all to co-exist. I’m Bazs biggest fan on here I think he’s a genuine superstar in the making, but him or especially Adzy don’t solve our issues in the midfield. We know this.

Replacing Libbas minutes solely with Baz & Treloar is a recipe for disaster. Our midfield whilst extremely talented is already very very flaky defensively - this would not help.

Now I know Dunks will cover more minutes too which is good for his game, but I’d still feel a lot more confident with a genuine bull who will scrap like Libba, taking a few minutes too over notoriously outside players like Baz/Treloar - they’re not even in the same ball park of playing similar roles so I’m not sure there’s an issue here - Baz & Adzy to continue to play outside/forward of the centre roles, we want them finishing around goal not trying to scrap for a hard ball which they both frankly suck at

Remove this Banner Ad

Back