We made the finals… Changes VS Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

I totally agree, I would go so far as to suggest that he is the only player on our list who has similiar desperate low to the ground in and under junk yard aggression. He will literally rip it out of the other blokes hands. His handball game is also very good. None of Treloar, Smith or Macrea are similiar. Treloar and Smith are our burst mids, Macrae is a tough extractor but is way taller, so getting the the real dirty ground balls under blokes that Libba does is not his one wood either. Dunkley can do a bit of it but again is much taller and has a higher centre of gravity.

Would love to give Garcia some more minutes in there as well. Happy if these two are rotated through covering Libba’s minutes and then we we’ve got amazing mid support for the first handball out with Bont, Macrea, Dunkley, Treloar and Smith.

When you consider this list of players, it’s astonishing that we don’t smash teams at the source constantly. Our ability to rotate class through there should be unparalleled.

On a side note, a potential challenge/silver lining to the Libba out is that it now requires some of our other senior players to really step up and be that barometer for the team. I actually think way too many of our guys leave it to Libba to set the tone. All of Bont, Macrea, Dunks, and Smith have the ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck and haven’t done it frequently this year. Dunks probably the best of the lot.
Farc…I forgot McLean, our depth is crazy. Hopefully his match fitness is where it needs to be. He’s had 3-4 games in the VFL right?

Don’t forget that Caleb would also be an option to go through there. Current midfield options:
Bont
Macrea
Dunks
Smith
Treloar
Hunter
Daniel
McLean
West
Garcia

McComb

That should cover ok.

This is a player that’s been dropped from his small fwd role due to work rate issues.
He’s currently playing VFL.
Now some want him to come in and cover the role of the toughest, hardest working mid in the team. Ahead of other far more worthy teammates.

The Cult of West has well and truly arrived.
A lot of people here think that West jnr plays the same way as West snr. Nothing further from the truth. He lacks experience and tank. Not to say that he will improve. I believe he will. McLean has a bigger body and probably tank. Not to mention experience. Hence, I think Bevo will go with McLean. Then again Bevo may play three rucks this week.

A lot of people here think that West jnr plays the same way as West snr. Nothing further from the truth. He lacks experience and tank. Not to say that he will improve. I believe he will. McLean has a bigger body and probably tank. Not to mention experience. Hence, I think Bevo will go with McLean. Then again Bevo may play three rucks this week.

Agree. Supporters get sucked in to the romance of having Rhylee become the next Scott.

I don’t think we’ll replace Libba like for like. I think it’ll be a re-jig of our other mids and a player coming in to fill whatever role is left open. It may be McLean. He’s definitely got the runs on the board. The return from injury would also add to the pre-game inspiration the coaches will no doubt go for.

Last played VFL about 16 weeks ago genius, also glad to know you’ve got the inside scoop on why he was dropped or maybe just making s**t up as per?

You’re such a *in flog geez, ever thought other people are allowed very reasonable opinions without being labelled a cult 😂

The ignore button is your friend. I use it sparingly but sadly more often on our board than previously.

There’s no evidence because it hasn’t been tried, just as earlier in the year there was no evidence he should be even playing AFL as he wasn’t given that chance and we all saw how that turned out - sometimes we need to look a little deeper than current available evidence

I definitely don’t have him above Treloar or Baz as a mid not saying that at all, he brings a different aspect to the midfield though and there’s room for all to co-exist. I’m Bazs biggest fan on here I think he’s a genuine superstar in the making, but him or especially Adzy don’t solve our issues in the midfield. We know this.

Replacing Libbas minutes solely with Baz & Treloar is a recipe for disaster. Our midfield whilst extremely talented is already very very flaky defensively - this would not help.

Now I know Dunks will cover more minutes too which is good for his game, but I’d still feel a lot more confident with a genuine bull who will scrap like Libba, taking a few minutes too over notoriously outside players like Baz/Treloar - they’re not even in the same ball park of playing similar roles so I’m not sure there’s an issue here - Baz & Adzy to continue to play outside/forward of the centre roles, we want them finishing around goal not trying to scrap for a hard ball which they both frankly suck at
I just don't agree that Treloar or Baz don't bring the hard edge of Libba. I think you're focusing too much on how both have been played recently - on the outside, for overlap run and work rate. Treloar in his best position is an absolute freak for contested ball - his numbers in his Collingwood/GWS years, and for us when played predominantly mid, are insane. His defensive pressure is poor, but away from the coal face so is Libba's - and as much as you might not agree, defensive running through the middle of the ground is not a strong feature of West's game at either level. Baz, too, is a much more natural inside mid than he is a wingman, and his best performances for us have almost always come with significant time on the ball.

I appreciate that you have faith in West, but this is a do or die final. Whether we should or shouldn't have tried him there earlier is irrelevant - we didn't, and it would be insane to do it now when we have two guys who have already played at a high level in that exact role.

I just don't agree that Treloar or Baz don't bring the hard edge of Libba. I think you're focusing too much on how both have been played recently - on the outside, for overlap run and work rate. Treloar in his best position is an absolute freak for contested ball - his numbers in his Collingwood/GWS years, and for us when played predominantly mid, are insane. His defensive pressure is poor, but away from the coal face so is Libba's - and as much as you might not agree, defensive running through the middle of the ground is not a strong feature of West's game at either level. Baz, too, is a much more natural inside mid than he is a wingman, and his best performances for us have almost always come with significant time on the ball.

I appreciate that you have faith in West, but this is a do or die final. Whether we should or shouldn't have tried him there earlier is irrelevant - we didn't, and it would be insane to do it now when we have two guys who have already played at a high level in that exact role.
Agree to disagree on that, I respect that Baz & Adzy have been playing different roles out of necessity, I think they’re at their best playing inside leaning roles - bridging the gap from inside to outside, but they’re both in a completely different stratosphere compared to Libba when it comes to playing on that edge, most are to be fair.

They’re just not scrappers, I wouldn’t want to waste their attributes on that anyway, Treloar in particular is a terrible user of the footy by hand & Baz is a bit hot potato too - they can win a hard ball no question but you want them transitioning the ball from inside to outside, or being that inside receiver. I get we’ll reshuffle everyone’s minutes, hopefully Macrae gets full time on ball too - I’m not sure what the best way to allocate the rotations is to be honest but I can guarantee if we think we can replace all of Libbas minutes with just Baz/Adzy we’re going to be in a bit of strife on Saturday night.

We’re actually in agreeance that West struggles with his tank and defensive running at this stage of his career, I’m definitely not advocating bringing him into the midfield for large minutes at all. He should be one option that is considered to roll through on occasions when Dunks isn’t there to give us that edge that no other midfielder in the side will replicate.

Happy to agree to disagree on this one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a player that’s been dropped from his small fwd role due to work rate issues.
He’s currently playing VFL.
Now some want him to come in and cover the role of the toughest, hardest working mid in the team. Ahead of other far more worthy teammates.

The Cult of West has well and truly arrived.
Gee where to start with this post??

He's definitely been dropped due to work rate has he?
He didnt play VFL last weekend, so no he is currently not playing VFL
Is Libba the hardest working mid? I don't really know how you measure it but i am confident that Macrae, Baz and Hunter would cover more ground each week than Libba

Agree. Supporters get sucked in to the romance of having Rhylee become the next Scott.
What are you basing that statement on? From everything I’ve read, people want West in the team because they rate him. Garcia gets similar plaudits. These are talented young lads who get stuck in. Nobody wants to gift them games.

Gee where to start with this post??

He's definitely been dropped due to work rate has he?
He didnt play VFL last weekend, so no he is currently not playing VFL
Is Libba the hardest working mid? I don't really know how you measure it but i am confident that Macrae, Baz and Hunter would cover more ground each week than Libba

You play 2’s when you get dropped from the 1’s. It was a figurative comment, Snake. I can say he was sitting on his couch playing XBox if you prefer?

As I mentioned in my previous post. Small/Medium forwards aren’t naturally involved in the play like midfielders and aren’t targeted by foot as much as talls. They also aren’t involved in uncontested chains of disposal from the back half like defenders are. Their role is mostly on the back of work rate and a dip in output usually points to a lack of.

You can go look at his stats, pressure acts and ground coverage. There may be more in that. But I’ll put my house on his demotion to the VFL on workrate and team first directions.

You’re probably right about your last comment regarding ground covered. That doesn’t tell us they work harder though. It may be that they have a better cardio base and find it easier to cover ground. It may also be a role influenced.

Libba brings a lot of heat anywhere within a few metres of a contest, whether that’s on ball or opposition player. Imo, he works harder at the coal face than any other player in our team. How many km’s he racks up is irrelevant.

Genuine question here.

Has West ever shown a level of midfield dominance at Footscray that would suggest that he could slot straight into the the most physically demanding midfield role on the ground. Even if its not on a like for like or on a rotational basis?

Id be interested in seeing if anybody could provide a breakdown of where on the ground he was playing before be was omitted from the side a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty evident that his form had been in decline during his last couple of games. I'd like to know if he spent any time on the ball during this time or if he was just wasting away at starvation corner.

What are you basing that statement on? From everything I’ve read, people want West in the team because they rate him. Garcia gets similar plaudits. These are talented young lads who get stuck in. Nobody wants to gift them games.

You know that’s not true MT. Garcia wouldn’t get mentioned in here a slither of what West does.

There’s a West obsession within our supporter base, I think it would be naive to think there isn’t.

It's Toby time.

aussie rules football sport GIF by Western Bulldogs

Libba out hurts! Always want him playing in high pressure games, stands up in them as well as anyone in the competition. But we’re absolutely stocked for inside mids and should still have an advantage in the middle of the ground. Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Treloar and Bailey Smith is more than enough inside, with Hunter, Williams and Roarke playing the wing rotation. West and/or JJ should come in to the team to play the small forward minutes.

I was watching McLean do some run throughs after either the Freo or GWS game and thought he looked much bigger (not in a good way) than when we previously saw him play in the seniors. VFL watchers can probably advise how he's looked in those games but i didnt think he looked fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back