Autopsy We pissed it in v the pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Well two things I wanted to see from us in this game both happened.

1. It was mentioned in one of the post-game interviews that it was our strategy going into the game to pressure Collingwood's defenders up the ground and then get it in quick to "leapfrog" them out the back, which is how we managed to get so many opportunities to run into open goals.

Exactly what I'd hoped for in the preview thread.

2. This is more overall team thing for this year, but for a few years now I have banged on about wanting us to have something of a handball game going. I love our kicking as much as anyone, and when the chance to take those kicks are there, we should take them, especially with the talented kicks we've got in the team. But to get through fierce opposition pressure and defensive structures you really have no chance if you can't run and carry by hand successfully.

We looked absolutely determined to do so every chance we got last night. Just running hard, surging forward in numbers, always using that free Swan ahead of the ball by hand. It didn't always work, and it won't always work, but it is so difficult to stop and it's why I think we never let any of Collingwood's "answer-back" goals deter us from what we knew would hold us in good stead. If we can become as dangerous by hand as we are by foot then we become close to the complete team.
I thought about that post every time McDonald was alone in the goal square

longmire and co outcoached collingwood ... comprehensively exposed their lack of speed, particularly in defence, by keeping them constantly under pressure ...
whatever they call it, we kept forcing turnovers and creating extra players and space behind their defence
and last night came without the same overwhelming display from grundy

Beautiful to watch the Bloods running forward, looking for best option, as as noted in commentary, the run of Papley
Gary Lyon was the only commentator that was continually trying to bring the conversation back to 'how good the Swans were' rather than collingwood.

Its been nice for the media to finally recognise and acknowledge the Swans kicking and running.
Would like to see someone write an article on it.. Praise needs to be given to Kinnear as it seemed a clear plan since the 2018 draft (Blakey and JMac), maybe even the 2017 draft (Ling and Stoddart) to draft players with good kicks, speed and endurance. Praise also to Horse and the coaches for developing a new (and very different) game plan and developing these draftees.. all while only spending 2 years out of finals.
Hmm.. maybe praise to all involved at the Club

Beautiful to watch the Bloods running forward, looking for best option, as as noted in commentary, the run of Papley
Papley flat on his back hits Roberts right on the chest - then at the end of play is in the goal square. Top effort young man.

Gary Lyon was the only commentator that was continually trying to bring the conversation back to 'how good the Swans were' rather than collingwood.

Its been nice for the media to finally recognise and acknowledge the Swans kicking and running.
Would like to see someone write an article on it.. Praise needs to be given to Kinnear as it seemed a clear plan since the 2018 draft (Blakey and JMac), maybe even the 2017 draft (Ling and Stoddart) to draft players with good kicks, speed and endurance. Praise also to Horse and the coaches for developing a new (and very different) game plan and developing these draftees.. all while only spending 2 years out of finals.
Hmm.. maybe praise to all involved at the Club
Lyon is a decent analyst who looks at the whole picture. Doesn't apologise for his Dees affiliation but doesn't blind him to what's happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you do though?

The ball was with us in open play so would have been unfair to let us take a free kick. Also would have been unfair to make it a ball up as the ball was in our possession and going into our forward 50.

It sucks but I think it's just one of those things you have to chalk up to bad luck and just carry on, like the ball hitting a bird or an umpire.

It should have just been a ball up from where the ball landed. Seems a pretty simple solution.

Imagine if the Crows lost a home & away game off an incident like that. No one wants to have to deal with that level of whining.

Lyon is a decent analyst who looks at the whole picture. Doesn't apologise for his Dees affiliation but doesn't blind him to what's happening.

I don't mind the media people having their team. Like last night fine Buckley is a pies man , you live with that (well to a point ) but it's so odd when the media collectively fawn over one side . Constantly happens for the pies , bombers etc.

I agree re Lyon he is pretty fair . Probably hard on his own side if anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back