Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Been doing current routine for around 5 years without change up. Would appreciate any advice to make it better or mix it up. Alternate weights 3 days a week with steady state runs of approx. 10km each other day and usually a rest day on the w/end.

Weights are:

Squats 3 x 8 reps of 1.5 x my bodyweight (approx. 80kgs)
Bench 3 x 8 of bodyweight
Military press 3 x 8 x .5 bodyweight
Bar curl 3 x 8 x .5 bodyweight
Chin ups 3 x 8
Sit ups 3 x 30
Triceps pull down 3 x 8 x .5 bodyweight
Seated row 3 x 8 x .75 bodyweight

Routine takes me close to an hour, feel its too much and I could cut some stuff out. I'm in reasonable shape but have reached a bit of a plateau for awhile now. Also seem to have got imbalanced strength in chest/pecs causing bad posture (job has me sitting down alot) and probably need some more back type exercises.

cheers sounds doable, not sure what rotator cuff work is but i'll google and work it out

yeah.. if you dont look after your rotator cuffs when you lift weights you'll find you'll pull a muscle doing something like opening the car door or throwing the ball to the dog.

Been doing current routine for around 5 years without change up. Would appreciate any advice to make it better or mix it up. Alternate weights 3 days a week with steady state runs of approx. 10km each other day and usually a rest day on the w/end.

Weights are:

Chin ups 3 x 8
Sit ups 3 x 30

Routine takes me close to an hour, feel its too much and I could cut some stuff out. I'm in reasonable shape but have reached a bit of a plateau for awhile now. Also seem to have got imbalanced strength in chest/pecs causing bad posture (job has me sitting down alot) and probably need some more back type exercises.

Just changing the rep ranges will make a difference if you have been doing the same workout year on year out.

Why are you set on determining your weights by body weight? Surely you are stronger than 1, 2 or 3 years ago. Up the weight, change the rep ranges.

i'd be adding a lat pull down and lower back extensions, reverse pec dec, perhaps some rotator cuff work too

Rotator cuffs overrated in my opinion, I've never done them and never been injured (touch wood)

Just changing the rep ranges will make a difference if you have been doing the same workout year on year out.

Why are you set on determining your weights by body weight? Surely you are stronger than 1, 2 or 3 years ago. Up the weight, change the rep ranges.

Was taught early to use bodyweight as a rough guide to how much to bench, squat and deadlift (not that I dead anymore because I always feel my form sucks too much).

Coz I lift alone ive always been worried about going too heavy in case I cant lift it. Never really tried to hit maximum lifts so not sure if im stronger or not. If I was to increase bench from 80kg to say 90kg then how may reps should I aim at?

Weights are:

Chin ups 3 x 8
Sit ups 3 x 30

Ok, this seems to have worked for you for a while with a couple issues. Instead of reinventing the wheel completely - my suggestion would be to change everything to unilateral rather than bilateral (one hand/leg exercises rather than 2).

So,
Squats = Bulgarian split squat
Bench = DB press
Military = seated oh DB press
Bar curl = DB
Chin = Single arm lat pull down
Triceps is single arm cables
Seated row = bent over DB row

If possible I'd add in deadlifts and possible split the sessions into and A B routine if you think it takes too long. So vertical push pull is A - B is horizontal and put one of deads and Bulgarian squats as A and B.

As for the posture, face pulls are one of the absolute best as is front squats strangely enough. Both really good for thoracic back strength. Some rear delt flys are also good.

Good luck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

all aboard the train to snap city. rotator cuff is easily in top 2 injuries from the gym from lifting. its only a matter of time really

Haha snap city nice one brah.

I never said warming up wasn't necessary, but rotating your arms at various 90 degree angles with 3kg DBs is not required for me. and for the record I haven't been injured at the gym, I've been going consisutently the last 3 years and on/off 6 years before that.

Was taught early to use bodyweight as a rough guide to how much to bench, squat and deadlift (not that I dead anymore because I always feel my form sucks too much).

Coz I lift alone ive always been worried about going too heavy in case I cant lift it. Never really tried to hit maximum lifts so not sure if im stronger or not. If I was to increase bench from 80kg to say 90kg then how may reps should I aim at?

I understand, I lift on my own most days in the gym. But I know what I can lift with my means.

You need to progressively overload, increase weight or increase reps. The body will try to do whatever it can the easiest weigh possible. You need to challenge the body when it comes to weight lifting.

Id say increas the weight to a range of 4-6 reps, this will take a bit of trial and error to find a weight you are comfortable with. Then after 4-6 weeks, look at doing 12-16 rep range.

have a look at vince girondas 8x8 workout.

I have never done it but I think I might next program change.

Haha snap city nice one brah.

I never said warming up wasn't necessary, but rotating your arms at various 90 degree angles with 3kg DBs is not required for me. and for the record I haven't been injured at the gym, I've been going consisutently the last 3 years and on/off 6 years before that.
Im with you. Program your workout properly and you shouldn't really need to do direct rotator cuff work. I like doing face pulls and some band pull aparts for similar effect, but also targetting other muscles at the same.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/criticalbench24.htm

check this out regarding rotator cuff.

I have strained my infraspinatus' before and it is a very frustrating injury. (i did it taking the dog for a walk... dog pulled to hard on the lead... pop)

I havent done it in 6 years since incorporating external rotations on the cables.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/criticalbench24.htm

check this out regarding rotator cuff.

I have strained my infraspinatus' before and it is a very frustrating injury. (i did it taking the dog for a walk... dog pulled to hard on the lead... pop)

I havent done it in 6 years since incorporating external rotations on the cables.

Does your dog lift?

Also for me at the moment im working on the tools, my body is well and truly warmed/stretched by the time I get to the gym.

I prefer light DB Chest presses as a warm up.

yeah.. if you dont look after your rotator cuffs when you lift weights you'll find you'll pull a muscle doing something like opening the car door or throwing the ball to the dog.

do you know why rotator cuffs get hurt in the first place - it's not from not training them that's for sure - i never train them.ever.

and i press 3/week...

Coz I lift alone ive always been worried about going too heavy in case I cant lift it. Never really tried to hit maximum lifts so not sure if im stronger or not. If I was to increase bench from 80kg to say 90kg then how may reps should I aim at?[/QUOTE)

i never understand this must have a spotter thing, i haven't trained with a partner for yrs and you know what make sense with or without one? don't try a rep you're not sure you'll get on your own

end of story

increase the wt and do what you can

Remove this Banner Ad

Back