Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers, I knew I add too much secondary exercises I just enjoy them all, I'll trim it down!!! I will try and have bigger breaks as currently I'm doing about 90sec for the main lifts and 30-60sec for the others. I read about BBB and I do like it just one question, it mentions don't do the third set to max (eg. 5/3/1+) but since it's alternative days do you max out the squat in the third set then do BBB DL?
If you're doing 50% BBB do the max reps. If you mix it up later doing the BBB 3 month challenge (50% first cycle, then 60x10 next then 70%x10 you'd do just 5,3 or 1 rep to have enough in the tank for those).

I already count my calories etc. I know that training for strength in a calorie deficit is not optimal either. Uh I would like to be at around 78-79kg haven't weighed myself in a while on a good pair of scales but I'd say I'd be around 81-82kg so if I eat at a 10% deficit (assuming I'm doing 3-5hrs.wk of moderate exercise) I should lose around 2.2kgs which would be ideal as I'm already quite lean, just want to have that real ripped look, however I'm not sure how I should factor in my activity levels.

Assuming I'm doing the following:

M
Chest/Triceps

T
Footy+Legs

W
OFF

T
Footy

F
Shoulders (may add in tricep acc. maybe 3 sets of extensions? Thoughts?)

S
Back Biceps

S
OFF (maybe cardio etc.)

Would you say that'd be 3-5hrs? Or closer to 5-6hrs? OR should I just factor it in as if it were 3-5hrs and eat 2736cal on days I exercise, maybe 2936 on the Tuesday as it's a heavy load and eat 2536 on days I don't train so Wednesday and Sunday?

Also I'd be eating 180g of protein at least daily to ensure minimal muscular atrophy.

And when the season kicks off I think I'd eat at maintenance and eat 100cal extra on the days I train, so that way any weight gain is minimal and I've got enough energy to push through training/matches plus gain muscle albeit slowly but still gain muscle and change my body composition slightly.

Thoughts?

i still can't see the viability of this, there will be a lot more spinning wheels then actual progress resulting a lot of effort for minimal results but you seem pretty intent on doing it

If you're doing 50% BBB do the max reps. If you mix it up later doing the BBB 3 month challenge (50% first cycle, then 60x10 next then 70%x10 you'd do just 5,3 or 1 rep to have enough in the tank for those).

well instead of doing nothing for 90secs do another exercise in btw your 531 lifts

or

do 2 5431 lifts fit your 1st 2 training days alternating sets of them...the other 2 days are just accessory type days

i still can't see the viability of this, there will be a lot more spinning wheels then actual progress resulting a lot of effort for minimal results but you seem pretty intent on doing it
I'm not understanding the flaws in my logic based on all the reading i've done, if you can tell me where the flaw is I'm more than happy to accept it. If I can't make good gains whilst training twice a week and playing footy on the weekends I'll just not train and play reserves tbh.
Or are you more so referencing the fact that I'll be eating at maintenance as opposed to a surplus?

The best/easiest way to calculate calorie expenditure is through the harris benedict formula, just google it to find out how to do it. Enter you BMR age sex height etc and then it will calculate this based on your activity levels. Trying to calculate calorie expenditure through total hours is confusing and just makes it harder to calculate. Another tip, just count macros its a lot easier than trying to figure out calories.

Losing weight in particularly body fat is not linear, eating 200 calories less a day and therefore 1400 calories less a week doesn't always transition into exact weight loss on the scales, particularly if you are already lean. Two things with the looking ripped firstly the guys you see on social media dont always look like that. Secondly getting that ripped look is down to bodyfat levels as opposed to direct weight shown on the scales, maybe you have bit more body fat that you think and need more muscle.

During last years season i dropped 10-11 kgs over 3 months. I did this with low carb during the start of the week, calories were bout 600 under maintenance each day, Friday id eat at maintenance and the gap in calories would be made up by adding carbs to my meals. Saturday night after footy i'd have a cheat meal early on it was eat what i could, as the weight loss progressed and sometimes stalled i would restrict this cheat meal. Sunday would be similar calorie/carb intake to Friday.

If you want to loose weight you have to be in deficit. Try being 300 calories each day, obviously rest days will be your smallest calorie expenditure it may only be 2700 calories, therefor you eat 2400 calories and footy/leg day your largest, it maybe 3200 calories, therefor eat 2900 calories. If your weight loss stalls, drop another 100 calories from each day.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
This is what I use to calculate calorie expenditure, I'm aware that counting calories is not linear to body fat loss but it is linear with weight loss, I'll be maintaining high protein macros as to avoid muscular atrophy (minimize muscle loss)

I've tried dropping carbs before, I should explain I'm not new to this and I've done this stuff before but I just wanted the opinions of people who are experts of football and weights training combined. When I dropped carbs I was exhausted and found myself losing tons of strength as well as volume due to depleted glycogen stores.

I'm not understanding the flaws in my logic based on all the reading i've done, if you can tell me where the flaw is I'm more than happy to accept it. If I can't make good gains whilst training twice a week and playing footy on the weekends I'll just not train and play reserves tbh.
Or are you more so referencing the fact that I'll be eating at maintenance as opposed to a surplus?

both

if you want to lean eat lower

if you want to gain eat higher

don't do a little of both, it'll get you nowhere slowly

you sad you wanna lean so lean but then bodypart splits aren't the best way to train for that either imo

This is what I use to calculate calorie expenditure, I'm aware that counting calories is not linear to body fat loss but it is linear with weight loss, I'll be maintaining high protein macros as to avoid muscular atrophy (minimize muscle loss)

I've tried dropping carbs before, I should explain I'm not new to this and I've done this stuff before but I just wanted the opinions of people who are experts of football and weights training combined. When I dropped carbs I was exhausted and found myself losing tons of strength as well as volume due to depleted glycogen stores.

its cals in vs cals out so what you drop really doesn't matter in that regard as long as drop something but then other things can affected by what you drop (i.e. footy an carbs)...if you're not hell bent on playing 1's then drop that 3 - 4kg now...do a proper resistance based fat loss program on 3 days and footy on the other 2 days with 2 really easy long duration days

That is not correct, its all well and good saying if i'm in deficit of 3500 calories a week equals one pound of weight loss but the human body is a lot more complex than a simple equation. We all have a set point with weight, the closer you get to that set point the slower the weight loss is. For me at the moment im about 93kg, if dropped carbs and ate 2400 calories a day i would lose 4kg in a week. Try and do the same thing at 83kg and weight loss will slow, even if i eat less than 2400 calories weight loss won't be as great.

Regardless of the marco intake whilst you are dieting, strength will be lost. It seems the main thing you want to achieve is leaning out, this means footy and strength gains have to take a back seat to leaning out.

Personally to achieve this i would do the following.

1. Find your BMR and determine maintenance calorie levels. lets say is 2800 calories.
2. On rest days/no exercise eat around 2400 calories with one meal of carbs.
3. On weight training days only eat 2600 calories (200 under maintenance) weight training will burn more calories and create a bigger deficit. eat carbs around your workouts. So if you workout in the morning eat carbs pre and post work out.
4. On days you train weights and run eat around maintenance levels, maybe a little over. This will be your biggest calorie expenditure day of the week and your exercise will create a big enough deficit.

I think it is also important to have a cheat meal/refeed for two reasons. One psychologically it gives you a break from eating the same foods over and over, and feeling hungry. Secondly, call it bro science what ever you like when eating constantly in deficit its good to have a day when you go into surplus and recharge the metabolism. I like to have them on a Saturday night as it works in with catching up with friends for dinner etc. But yo can also have it after a day where you burn the most calories.

Getting pretty amp'ed about starting 531, found a pretty cool app on android that does all the calculations for it. I'm also dropping about 10-20% off my current 1RM on the big lifts so I can get use to it and I'll have a bigger ceiling in progression.

Get on the German volume training, run every other day, do tabatta on the boxing bag at the end of all sessions and there your mornings done then just go to footy training as normal, don't worry you will adapt, take on HFLC and fasting , work hard your body needs volume

With the gvt take only 1 minute rests between super sets then cut your rest down to the point where your not resting for a whole muscle group,

I'll do 4k Phart leg running followed by chest incline dumbells 35kg, cable cross overs 25kg, decline dumbells 35kg then pull overs 25kg all 10 reps x 10 sets no rest 25 min straight chest done then 16 min of tabata boxing 20 hard 20 easy (2min per combo) 1 hour training done.

Do same with all other body parts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a million yrs ago but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that 100 reps is probably too much for most people in 1 hit...over-fatigue only builds tolerance, not strength, muscle or fitness

a million yrs ago but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that 100 reps is probably too much for most people in 1 hit...over-fatigue only builds tolerance, not strength, muscle or fitness
How do you not gain strength or fitness or muscle? Those little 3 sets x 4 exercise are soft and boring

Small low intensity exercise, if it's not hard I'd rather stay home.

I am like you, i like doing volume. I have no issued being in the gym for 70-80 mins at a time.

But others may prefer less volume, shorter work outs. Depends on the individual.

Small low intensity exercise, if it's not hard I'd rather stay home.

that's sort of the point - it doesn't always have to be hard - and it actually can't be

you can train at high intensity for a short time or low intensity for a long time

before you retort, do not mistake fatigue for intensity - they are very different things

Remove this Banner Ad

Back