Welcome Draft Pick #11 - Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

Milera, Hampton, Smith, Knight, Sloane, Menzel, Seedsman etc..

I think the days of the Crows being labelled one-paced and lacking players with skill and quality disposal are at an end..

We still have a few to clean out.

This bloke reminds me of a young me (I've become a better footballer every year since I retired :D) Seriously though, I love that he has footy instincts as well as smarts. He's one of those priceless footballers that does the right thing without having to think about it and he seems to get it right most of the time.
I reckon we may have the standout of the draft here.
I know this is easy to say just after the draft ......but i preferred Milera to Francis

Francis will be a very very good player with flexibility in the mold of Brendan Goddard .......but like Goddard i doubt he'll be a match-winner

Milera is like Shaun Burgoyne ....and IMO he can be a match-winner

Weideman .....as a fan of his father, Sam is a clone of his dad ......his dad had magnificent hands, but no stamina or agility .....will be good/average player

Parish .....yep will be special

Ah Chee ......yeah can pick his types up in any draft .....good, but not special

It's interesting, isn't it? Milera was linked to GC very early and for quite a period. Then, not long before the draft, Ah Chee suddenly replaced him in everybody's "predictions". My money says that GC leaked that they were taking Ah Chee, and that they may well have changed their mind(s) due to the Milera "go-home" factor. Perhaps, Milera did very well in that respect in his interviews?

Maybe the Gold Coast heard those comments his mum made.

When I saw his highlights I thought he was just a flashy player with a few highlights but he seems to get a bit of the ball looking at his stats

Think he will only get a game next year through injury to Betts, Menzel or Cameron. At 77kg I think he probably needs a season to put on some weight, he looks like he has big hips so can probably handle a bit of bulk.

I wonder if we will play him as a small forward in the SANFL or start straight away with trying to develop him as a mid/wingman.

I know this is easy to say just after the draft ......but i preferred Milera to Francis

Francis will be a very very good player with flexibility in the mold of Brendan Goddard .......but like Goddard i doubt he'll be a match-winner

Milera is like Shaun Burgoyne ....and IMO he can be a match-winner

Weideman .....as a fan of his father, Sam is a clone of his dad ......his dad had magnificent hands, but no stamina or agility .....will be good/average player

Parish .....yep will be special

Ah Chee ......yeah can pick his types up in any draft .....good, but not special
I don't think it's fair to say Goddard isn't a match winner.
Between him and Hayes, they almost won their team a Premiership. Goddard absolutely is a match winner on his day.

That goal against Port AFL listed players in the SANFL finals where he slips past three tacklers, fires out a (not great) handpass, gets it back, dodges past two more and then slots the goal as the crowd erupts is just great to watch. He's working in a bloody phone box and still nobody can lay a hand on him.

If he can adapt to the higher pace of AFL footy (not always an easy task for a guy that relies on evasiveness), we've got an A-grade star on our hands. Early signs look good! Seems like a real nice, genuine guy too. Couldn't be happier with this pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That goal against Port AFL listed players in the SANFL finals where he slips past three tacklers, fires out a (not great) handpass, gets it back, dodges past two more and then slots the goal as the crowd erupts is just great to watch. He's working in a bloody phone box and still nobody can lay a hand on him.

If he can adapt to the higher pace of AFL footy (not always an easy task for a guy that relies on evasiveness), we've got an A-grade star on our hands. Early signs look good! Seems like a real nice, genuine guy too. Couldn't be happier with this pick.

Reminded me a bit of Wingard with that side step.

I think the hand pass looked bad because he might have been trying to keep it low to avoid the possible interception from the Port player just ahead of him and to his left. If that's the case it further exemplifies (along with his elusiveness) his ability to think and react much quicker than most players can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back