Strategy Welcome James Frawley to the HFC

Remove this Banner Ad

$400K+ for Tom Mitchell, if true, is obscene.

Salary cap in 2014 is about $9.9M
Add in the COLA and that's about $10.9M
They have 6 rookie players and the minimum rookie wage for 2014 is $54k...

So that leaves about $10.6M for 39 senior listed players.
Buddy is on $10M over 9 years and Tippett is on $3.5M over 4 years.
Assuming they're both back ended heavily let's assume Buddy is only getting $700k (rather than $1.1M) and Tippett only $500k (rather than $875k).
That now leaves $9.4M for 37 senior listed players...

That's just $254k per remaining player on their senior list.
That's not even taking into account that some players would most certainly be on over $400k/yr if Tom Mitchell is the measuring stick. Guys like Hannebery, JPK, Jack, McVeigh, Reid, Jetta, Goodes, Richards, etc.

That puts the vast majority of Sydney's list on about $200k/yr each (still below the "average AFL wage") and they still have to find a way to fit their players in now that COLA has been changed to only help those under a certain wage, the veterans list is being scrapped and they have some big contracts which are apparently back ended (meaning payments to these players will go up every year).

If it's true that Tom Mitchell is on that type of money then forget him, we should be going after half a dozen young guys on their list (Parker tops that list for me) because unless Sydney are paying in brown paper bags under the table these guys are being well underpaid.

Goodes will retire this year.....he'd be on anywhere between 400 to 600k
O'Keefe - 400 to 600k.

Already freed up 800 - 1.2

Goodes will retire this year.....he'd be on anywhere between 400 to 600k
O'Keefe - 400 to 600k.

Already freed up 800 - 1.2

LRT...another 500k freed up

Tommy Walsh will be delisted.

+ 650k.
All valid points but there will be increases to yearly payments on back ended contracts to their big 2 forwards as well as other players who've allegedly been put on back ended contracts in recent years (JPK, Hannebery, etc.). These guys retiring also need to be replaced with a minimum of 3 new draftees, one of which (Isaac Heeney) they'll likely be looking to sign up with an extension as soon as they can. Other players will want pay rises, a few of them will want big ones (Bird, Parker, etc.), especially following what will probably be at this stage at least a preliminary final finish for the club. The money freed up is decent but doesn't go too far when you start splitting it 30-35 ways.

So he's on about the same as our Mitchell...
Not sure but I think it would be not too far apart. In pay that is. Imagine the luxury of placing Josh Kennedy on a 400k contract a few years ago, you know... just so no-one else scooped him up. I think for that money the "opportunity" issue would have been a little less important. Although, as we were up against the $wans, I am sure they would have scoffed at the 400k and just given him an extra 100k or so, just because they could.

Unfortunately it is a luxury only a couple of teams get and I hope the league looks at it. I know the caps are meant to be evened up, though Sydney will still have extra space under the new structure. The other major bullsh*t part of it is the ambassadorial shite.

It all needs to be abolished, it was meant to keep players from wanting to leave Sydney..... now they are lining up to get a pay packet up there. Buddy and Tippet both wanted to get to Sydney only. Surly that makes the additional cap redundant.

Lets be honest though, it is only there to ensure Sydney are perpetually successful. That keeps the AFL viable in the largest market in OZ, which drives the revenue via the broadcasting deals. In a way I hope the ratings results out of Sydney are absolute rubbish when they review it at the end of this contract, that will take Sydney's power straight back off them. Might even up the competition again. Who knows, maybe that is why the AFL are starting to pull things back, maybe the results the networks paid for are not coming in and they have already flagged concern about the strength of the AFL to rate highly in Sydney.

Thats absurd......in saying that didn't we recruit a 19 year old Gunston on 300 - 400k.
You almost always have to pay more when a player moves (yes, he wanted to come to us, but how much of that was because of that money?), good forwards (especially ones as versatile as Gunston) cost more than equivalently good mids and above all else I'd say if anything he's been a bargain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets be honest though, it is only there to ensure Sydney are perpetually successful.
That keeps the AFL viable in the largest market in OZ, which drives the revenue via the broadcasting deals.
In a way I hope the ratings results out of Sydney are absolute rubbish when they review it at the end of this contract, that will take Sydney's power straight back off them.
Might even up the competition again.
Who knows, maybe that is why the AFL are starting to pull things back, maybe the results the networks paid for are not coming in and they have already flagged concern about the strength of the AFL to rate highly in Sydney.
They will just pump more money in
The only hope is for Sydney fans to watch them when they are crap.

Hawks need to make a play for Luke Parker.
It's gets mentioned quite a lot on here that the club messed up in taking Jordan Kelly instead of Micheal Talia. This is despite the fact Talia hasn't shown that much YET and is playing 2's when the Dogs are in desperate need of a KPB. That's why I find it strange that it's rarely mentioned the club overlooked Luke Parker for Mitch Hallahan, obviously similar players but Parker was the higher rated of the 2 in their draft year and is a star in the making.

So Robbo asked Buckley outright on 360 are Collingwood after Frawley and he replied that isn't an appropriate question to ask...sounds like Collingwood are gonna have a red hot crack and getting Chip.

It's gets mentioned quite a lot on here that the club messed up in taking Jordan Kelly instead of Micheal Talia. This is despite the fact Talia hasn't shown that much YET and is playing 2's when the Dogs are in desperate need of a KPB. That's why I find it strange that it's rarely mentioned the club overlooked Luke Parker for Mitch Hallahan, obviously similar players but Parker was the higher rated of the 2 in their draft year and is a star in the making.

Higher rated by who?

They will just pump more money in
The only hope is for Sydney fans to watch them when they are crap.
So no hope then. I remember the mid 80s to mid 90s well. The crowd would drop back to 4 or 5 grannies knitting and cheering behind the goals at the SCG. Used to be like watching Coburg at Coburg oval, the crowds were honestly similar

Just stop and imagine being paid 450 k a year to be playing swans reserves????

FK me the life of an afl footballer for some is nothing but a dream.

Imagine clearing 6k a week as a 10 year old????Take off rent or mortgage $500-$800 a week and have a grand a week to play with and you are sitting with 4k left over to invest in your future!!!!!

Imagine clearing 6k a week as a 10 year old????Take off rent or mortgage $500-$800 a week and have a grand a week to play with and you are sitting with 4k left over to invest in your future!!!!!

Or to put up your nose.

Yeah but it costs more to live in Watsons Bay than it does in Werribee so they need it to survive.

$450k a year only gets you a small tent in Sydney the cost of living is so high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back