Strategy Welcome James Frawley to the HFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Well according to Mad Monday photos (Chris Dawes) his Demon team mates seem to think Geelong is the destination.

Yeah seen that haha, I'm not really confident on taking their word on it. This Geelong stuff is weird as, I thought Frawley was being really weird anyway before Geelong put their interest in.

I also said he couldn't kick.....in a skilful team that's a fair drawback....
and I still believe he doesn't have the team first ethos...again its little things I've
seen playing for the Dees..Let me ask you something Dip86....You know when we recruit a player from
another club do you get a feeling that tells you that player will be a good/bad fit at the Hawks...I do
and I am not comfortable with Frawley...

He does have an average kick but so does Lake, hasn't stopped us picking him up. In fact Lake has been instructed to give it off to the actual play makers in the side at almost every opportunity, Birchall Suckling Hodge etc. It took us 3 to 4 years to replace Croad with Lake. Its hard to find a competent negating Kp defender. We may have won games without competent KP defenders but we haven't won a Grand Final without one.

I haven't had that feeling of late, we have had a damn good record over the past 4 years with recruitment from other clubs. Gibson Burgoyne Hale Ceglar Simpkin Gunston etc. Whether from trades or club delistings.

Last edited:
Yeah, but then Dangerfield may just stay at Crows

Dangerfield is going to cost us north of 900k

That's not the premiership model this club implemented in 2004. Its a massive chunk of the salary cap going to one player.
I think we should go about it like we have done so in the past, go through the draft or trade/identify a young midfielder from another club, like we did when acquiring Gunston as a KP forward need.

We have an ageing KP defence and midfeld.
Id prefer to slot in two positions with the same coin, Frawley as a KP defender and target a young mid such as Shiel type from another club.

AfxbNf5.jpg

This seems to indicate that he might be a cat next year. (Dawes under the mask)

Well according to Mad Monday photos (Chris Dawes) his Demon team mates seem to think Geelong is the destination.

And we and his team mates thought buddy was going to GWS
I'm not fussed tbh - he was obviously asking too much and that's not a fit for wearing a hawk jumper. The melt down if he goes to Sydney will be epic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we and his team mates thought buddy was going to GWS
I'm not fussed tbh - he was obviously asking too much and that's not a fit for wearing a hawk jumper. The melt down if he goes to Sydney will be epic

I will lose my sh*t if he goes to Sydney......
If its true that Geelong have offered 5 years....it would almost be a certainty.
Don't think we would offer that kind of tenure considering we only offered Franklin 4 years.

I will lose my sh*t if he goes to Sydney......
If its true that Geelong have offered 5 years....it would almost be a certainty.
Don't think we would offer that kind of tenure considering we only offered Franklin 4 years.

I was listening to the justification through Jon Ralph
O'keefe - retired
LRT - retired
Malceski - leaving
Money in the bank apparently

O'keefe - retired
LRT - retired
Malceski - leaving
Pickering (before Buddy dumped him) said that Buddy's contract was so heavily back ended that he was on less than he was at Hawthorn in 2013 than he will be at Sydney in the first 2 years combined.

Whatever those figures might be surely even with all those retirements it's not going to free up nearly enough money to allow them to recruit a high profile FA as well as start paying off what will have to be about $1.3M/year for the next 7 years from 2016.

O'keefe - retired
LRT - retired
Malceski - leaving

Makes sense
Having him going to an opponent would shave a few goals of their 10 million dollar investment when it mattered.

O'keefe - retired
LRT - retired
Malceski - leaving

I would have thought they would have already factored in those from last year when the Franklin free agency went through.
so let me get this straight...
They win a premiership, they sign up a player for 900 k over 4 years.
The following year they sign up Franklin 1.1 over 9 years
Now maybe Frawley on 5-600k over 5 years.
Yep I will lose my s**t.

I think some people are forgetting what a good defender this guy has been particularly in 2010 & 2011 and I'm confident that he can re-capture this form at a quality team like Hawthorn.

I rule this year completely out of the equation as he has been played out of position in the worst attacking team in the comp.

Over the years, playing in defence he has always done really well on guys like Franklin, Reiwolt, Hawkins etc and can also play on small, mid sized forwards too.
He's durable, only one hamstring that I can remember, back in 2013 and is still only 25. Also averaged close to 19 possessions a game back in 2010 & 2011, so can also get his hands on the ball too.

I think he has just gone stale at Melbourne the last few years, which isn't a big surprise with all the drama's on and off the field.

Be more than happy for the Hawks to offer him around $2mil - $2.4mil over 4yrs and then it's up to him.

Hopefully staying in Melbourne not having to move down to Geelong will be an advantage to us as well.

Last edited:
Pickering (before Buddy dumped him) said that Buddy's contract was so heavily back ended that he was on less than he was at Hawthorn in 2013 than he will be at Sydney in the first 2 years combined.

Whatever those figures might be surely even with all those retirements it's not going to free up nearly enough money to allow them to recruit a high profile FA as well as start paying off what will have to be about $1.3M/year for the next 7 years from 2016.

Makes sense
Having him going to an opponent would shave a few goals of their 10 million dollar investment when it mattered.

I would have thought they would have already factored in those from last year when the Franklin free agency went through.
so let me get this straight...
They win a premiership, they sign up a player for 900 k over 4 years.
The following year they sign up Franklin 1.1 over 9 years
Now maybe Frawley on 5-600k over 5 years.
Yep I will lose my s**t.

I was thinking the same thing - surely with buddy taking a "minuscule" amount this year and then builds towards pay day that they would of needed to also use future retirements to cover the costs. I think it was also worked out that the lift in the salary cap will also cover it.

It's probably all for nought anyway as he may, as posted, be heading down the highway to join his mate Rivers

O'keefe - retired
LRT - retired
Malceski - leaving
This cracks me up.
How you gonna afford buddy?
"Okeefe, lrt, malceski, goodes, bradswhaw all retired Or retiring soon"

How you gonna afford Frawley?
"Okeefe, lrt, malceski, goodes, bradswhaw all retired Or retiring soon"

These retiring/ageing players are like an everlasting gob-stopper

Remove this Banner Ad