Strategy Welcome James Frawley to the HFC

Remove this Banner Ad

No club will offer that money to him. It is a clever ploy from his management team because it takes the heat off him a touch, and now the focus is on the prospective clubs who might take him, not on his decision.

Cartlon - won't take him. They are at the dawning of acknowledging they need a rebuild. Would not make any sense to go acquire a 800k a year defender. No no no no chance.
Gold Coast - extra salary cap room is disappearing and their kids are now starts who are demanding more cash, can't afford to give overs anymore.
St Kilda - see Carlton, just more advanced. Goes against their whole rebuild.
Fremantle - probably the most likely as they are close to the window, but it just doesn't smack of a Ross Lyon thing to do. They are chasing a Pavlich forward replacement, they have key backs.

So it really doesn't leave Chip with many options when you break it down. We will make him an offer of 500k plus a chance to win a flag or three. If he takes, good. If not, then oh well, move on, don't compromise the list. We are a destination club, and we will attract others.

You give Carlton too much credit

There will be forces at Carlton suggesting they should get Dangerfield, Mundy and Frawley on big $$$

Then they can backend the contracts Kouta style or cook the books

Just because both strategies have previously backfired, doesn't mean they won't be itching to go again

And which player are we going to trade to get this "big fish" ?

To get a big fish, (would be assuming some top end homesick GWS/GC talent) Ie a whitfield, we would be looking at a first round pick plus a gun player - Bruest/Smith. Would you be prepared to lose a player like that?

Or you can have Frawley for nothing, except a big fat wad of cash.

Paying Frawley 600k will not do a thing to our list management. Back end the contract to say majority in a 3rd year, where it will be almost certain that 3 or 4 of Burgers, Sewell, Hale, Lake, Hodge or Mitch will not longer be playing, maybe all of them (Although I think Mitch will play until he is about 36-37). We would have heaps of space.

Truth is with 500k on him, every club interested would pay him that, including us. He is worth it as whatever club gets him for nothing, Ziltch. He is probably worth on field 550-600k. Free Agency could see him pushed to 700k, hoping he will accept a bit less ie 550 to play for a Genuine powerhouse- Something he must be craving.

Apparently Dale thomas was worth 700k. Says it all.

Absolutely taken in isolation he'd be worth the kind of wages that you're talking about, especially in the context of not giving up anything via trade but what it doesn't take into account is the possible ramifications.

The idea that you can just pick up the odd FA and pay them a bit more than players on the list of similar or perhaps even slightly greater ability and not expect that to be catalyst for a movement out of players to other clubs is, I think, overly optimistic.

You have a group of players that have accepted not maximising their market potential to stay and be part of something successful once you bring someone in on more money for no greater ability, as much as logic would say that it improves the side and the extra money is a trade off for not having to trade, human nature is that firstly people's noses are out out of joint and then secondly they take on board the idea that FA is a two way street and that they can look at opportunities to move out as FAs and grab themselves some of that 'overs' pay somewhere else, then you end up with a merry-go-round where you don't benefit from FA at all, destination club or not. The only way it can work is to bring people in and tie them very closely to your pay structure with perhaps a little bit of sweetener in there somewhere but not much.

Also when you say that in 3 years a majority of those older players will be gone, that actually makes the situation worse, the players at this age are not on their biggest contracts (as Hodge alluded to last year) the blokes expecting their biggest deals will be the ones entering their prime of mid to late 20s, they've earned the right to be amongst the best paid players and actually we'll have a raft of them coming through, if they use an overpaid Frawley as the benchmark for negotiating their new contracts then that cap space soon gets eaten up.

We should be saying to any free agents, "Come to Hawthorn to win premierships, you tell us who you are going to replace and we will tell you how much we will pay".

According to the Sun, the AFL will consider giving Melbourne picks 1,2 and 3 in next years draft if they continue to be sh**(which is a given) and also lose Frawley at the end of the year. All the more reason for Frawley to be pushed out of the door.

I am not sure what the AFL is trying to achieve here? How much longer will they continue to reward in competence?

According to the Sun, the AFL will consider giving Melbourne picks 1,2 and 3 in next years draft if they continue to be sh**(which is a given) and also lose Frawley at the end of the year. All the more reason for Frawley to be pushed out of the door.

I am not sure what the AFL is trying to achieve here? How much longer will they continue to reward in competence?
As long as it take to make them competitive ...

Is it still a reward if Melbourne completely utensil up the selections :confused: again :eek:

Wonder if the top draft prospects will sabotage their seasons so they reduce the chance of getting drafted by Melbourne. Surely that has to be the team a young player least wants to hear his name called by.

You pay overs for FAs , that's just how it is.

800 is too much though, hopefully that's a starting point for negotiations.

If he just wants the biggest offer then that won't be from us.

Agreed.
The $800k price tag to me says that all Frawley wants to be is a career footballer, and not necessarily a successful one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they continue watching Iron Chef the AFL will be left with no other option but pouring more money in and inventing names and excuses for it.

Absolutely taken in isolation he'd be worth the kind of wages that you're talking about, especially in the context of not giving up anything via trade but what it doesn't take into account is the possible ramifications.

The idea that you can just pick up the odd FA and pay them a bit more than players on the list of similar or perhaps even slightly greater ability and not expect that to be catalyst for a movement out of players to other clubs is, I think, overly optimistic.

You have a group of players that have accepted not maximising their market potential to stay and be part of something successful once you bring someone in on more money for no greater ability, as much as logic would say that it improves the side and the extra money is a trade off for not having to trade, human nature is that firstly people's noses are out out of joint and then secondly they take on board the idea that FA is a two way street and that they can look at opportunities to move out as FAs and grab themselves some of that 'overs' pay somewhere else, then you end up with a merry-go-round where you don't benefit from FA at all, destination club or not. The only way it can work is to bring people in and tie them very closely to your pay structure with perhaps a little bit of sweetener in there somewhere but not much..

...Or perhaps you find a way to pay those who take the lesser money later. Like for example a role as a part time/skills coach when they retire. That gives them plenty of time to do interviews and stuff...

So Frawley kicking goals is about .... Roos doing the Clarko/ Buddy routine and grooming others to take his place when he inevitably leaves? Even better that he can kick a goal and now make Roos look like some sorta supercoach.

Still, I wonder if Frawley is actually enjoying this enough to want to stay

Yes he is...... already has a Frawley avatar in April, You need to get out more dude.

Mate anything I write takes me 10 minutes, I don't get out? Don't even know me.... Yet I'm very fit Boundary Umpires Seniors & on the verge of going higher & I play basketball a lot.

Yes he is...... already has a Frawley avatar in April, You need to get out more dude.
Wtf is wrong with having a Frawley avatar? If I want to I can, I can do what I want. Maybe you should be the one that gets out more than be so hypocritical on Bigfooty all the time. There's more to life than Bigfooty, Facebook or any social media.

Wonder if the top draft prospects will sabotage their seasons so they reduce the chance of getting drafted by Melbourne. Surely that has to be the team a young player least wants to hear his name called by.
You're better off spending a few yrs developing your skills earning a decent paycheque, then demanding a trade

Sabotage a few afl level games, bt dominate the VFLVFL

They should move to NZ and sign up for Hawthorn, bypass the draft to get the dream ticket.

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back