Toast Welcome to Carlton Dale Thomas!

Remove this Banner Ad

would do anything for Navy Blue (I'm looking at you Simpson).

Wasn't Simmo so impressive? It's a preseason game with nothing on the line and the outcome not important - but lil Simmo still goes at 100 miles an hour, gets hammered, body on the line. It's just how he does it! Warrior.

Sure it is. But I chose to swipe at three guys I think have all the talent in the world, but not all the application. Daisy is no more talented than those guys, but he does every little scrappy 1%er thing he can, and it makes him a better player. It's his great strength, and was obvious from contest #1 last night, and it made me lament that there are others in our side who should learn from him.
Those three in particular? I'd suggest that he is. He isn't worth all that coin because he is just a scrapper.

It's the preseason. Are you forgetting Gibbs having 18 contested possessions in the EF? What about his game against Port. He is clearly a contested player now despite the common misconception surrounding him.

Hard to compare Thomas to the other two seen as they play different positions. I have no issue with either of there tenacity though.

Wasn't Simmo so impressive? It's a preseason game with nothing on the line and the outcome not important - but lil Simmo still goes at 100 miles an hour, gets hammered, body on the line. It's just how he does it! Warrior.

At one point he got driven into the ground about 3 times in a row (no free kick - surprise surprise) and I said to my brother "one day Simmo will just snap in half". He just gives it is all no matter what - and I'm always amazed by how small he is up close.

Those three in particular? I'd suggest that he is. He isn't worth all that coin because he is just a scrapper.

My point is, just because you're talented doesn't mean you don't need to scrap. Daisy's scrapping is what makes him so damn good.

It's the preseason. Are you forgetting Gibbs having 18 contested possessions in the EF? What about his game against Port. He is clearly a contested player now despite the common misconception surrounding him.

Of course I'm not foregetting that, and every Carlton fan in the world hopes that Gibbs' finish to last season is the new normal for him. I'm not forgetting his previous 152 games either. The guy SHOULD BE a gun midfielder in 2014. Time will tell.

I have no issue with either of there tenacity though.

I do, a lot. Garlett is totally one-dimensional, always looking for someone else to make the contest so he can dart out the back. There were several times last night when it was his turn to go, but instead he thought "hey, teammate, can you do that for me, and I'll go over here to see if I can get a cheap goal?". He royally pisses me off.

Yarran, for apparently "the most talented player in his draft", looks totally lost at the moment. Is he forward, back, winger? Does he want the ball to come to him? I'm not sure he does, he's so devoid of confidence. When is the last time Yarran ran into a pack? It doesn't have to be his main event, but when it's your time to go, you have to go. I'm not convinced he does, cos I'm not convinced he remembers what makes him a good player right now.

Certainly, you can (and should) asterisk everything with the fact that it's preseason, I'm just saying these are the questions I have over these three guys in 2014. I hope all get answered, and positively, I truly do. Daisy has already answered my questions on him. Is he fit? Yep - and therefore his combination of talent AND scrappiness make him an awesome addition to the Blues.

My point is, just because you're talented doesn't mean you don't need to scrap. Daisy's scrapping is what makes him so damn good.

Of course I'm not foregetting that, and every Carlton fan in the world hopes that Gibbs' finish to last season is the new normal for him. I'm not forgetting his previous 152 games either. The guy SHOULD BE a gun midfielder in 2014. Time will tell.

I do, a lot. Garlett is totally one-dimensional, always looking for someone else to make the contest so he can dart out the back. There were several times last night when it was his turn to go, but instead he thought "hey, teammate, can you do that for me, and I'll go over here to see if I can get a cheap goal?". He royally pisses me off.

Yarran, for apparently "the most talented player in his draft", looks totally lost at the moment. Is he forward, back, winger? Does he want the ball to come to him? I'm not sure he does, he's so devoid of confidence. When is the last time Yarran ran into a pack? It doesn't have to be his main event, but when it's your time to go, you have to go. I'm not convinced he does, cos I'm not convinced he remembers what makes him a good player right now.

Certainly, you can (and should) asterisk everything with the fact that it's preseason, I'm just saying these are the questions I have over these three guys in 2014. I hope all get answered, and positively, I truly do. Daisy has already answered my questions on him. Is he fit? Yep - and therefore his combination of talent AND scrappiness make him an awesome addition to the Blues.
Selling Garlett well short IMO. Like it or not, he kicked 43 goals last season and 16 more than the next closest player for us. His job is to work off the packs and pounce on the loose ball which he does very well. I am of the opinion that he will go to another level this year without Betts.

Garlett had 76 tackles last season at an average of 3.5 per game. Everyone couldn't stop talking up Lindsay Thomas as the best small forward in the game last season, yet he only averaged 2.7 tackles a game (total of 53 tackles). Garlett does his part week in and out, both offensively and defensively.

Your last point is the most valid, I'd much rather question players on last seasons form rather than the scratch matches currently being played.

I think I will start off by saying it was rather eye opening at this early stage of the season to see how hard Thomas works around the ground and his intensity at the contest. Certainly looks a class above the majority of our list. He really brought that kind of effort that Malthouse was renowned for getting out of his players and Thomas should be a good role model for our younger guys.

With Gibbs I think his 21 touches in three quarters was nice despite his limited time at the stoppages. Should be a good year for him in the midfielder and everybody knows that we need him to step up a notch as a midfielder for us to seriously consider a flag assault in the next few years.

Garlett as a small forward will always drift in and out of games since that is just the nature of his position. I do think Garlett is one-dimensional and will never be a serious player in the midfield but he still is a A-grade small forward. Try to remember that it was his first game in the preseason as well and he would have been exhausted.

Yarran should just be stuck at HB with the occasional stint on the wing. He is a player who needs to be in the thick of the action to really shine. Give Yarran the ball and watch him cut up the opposition. The small forward position is just wasting his talent and it can be performed by others like Ellard who are good set shots and have the mentality to play four quarters in that position.

Selling Garlett well short IMO. Like it or not, he kicked 43 goals last season and 16 more than the next closest player for us. His job is to work off the packs and pounce on the loose ball which he does very well. I am of the opinion that he will go to another level this year without Betts.

Garlett had 76 tackles last season at an average of 3.5 per game. Everyone couldn't stop talking up Lindsay Thomas as the best small forward in the game last season, yet he only averaged 2.7 tackles a game (total of 53 tackles). Garlett does his part week in and out, both offensively and defensively.

Your last point is the most valid, I'd much rather question players on last seasons form rather than the scratch matches currently being played.

Yes, way too harsh on Jeffy. He may end up doing the occasional stint through the middle but he is a forward first and last, and that is where he does his best work.
He lays plenty of tackles and is always using his pace to chase and harrass as well as when he has the ball. I saw plenty of that from him last night.
I don't think he gets that many "cheap" goals, but I think he is so mercurial that he often makes it look easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to Daisy. Looked sharp and over the ankle. Don't worry about your other 3 they won't match Daisy for his attack on the ball but that is no criticism , few do. Had that manic attitude from day 1 which frustated us Pie supporters when others gave him the soft tag. Daisy has always been super tough at the ball. Very hard seeing him in a Carlton jumper, very hard. Still can't but smile at the way he goes about it.

Terrible seeing a player you loved with the enemy. FA sucks as a supporter

Congrats to Daisy. Looked sharp and over the ankle. Don't worry about your other 3 they won't match Daisy for his attack on the ball but that is no criticism , few do. Had that manic attitude from day 1 which frustated us Pie supporters when others gave him the soft tag. Daisy has always been super tough at the ball. Very hard seeing him in a Carlton jumper, very hard. Still can't but smile at the way he goes about it.

Terrible seeing a player you loved with the enemy. FA sucks as a supporter

MEB is going to need a new TV every time she sees Eddie run out in those God-awful Adelaide colours.

Either that or she could put up a crazy-catch net to stop the remotes getting to the screen.

By round 5 she may well be ready to line up alongside Clarke in the slips cordon.:oops:

Don't worry about your other 3 they won't match Daisy for his attack on the ball but that is no criticism , few do.
Take some time out and watch Kreuzer's games or highlights before you come on here with that fallacy. This isn't the main board. Kreuzer attacks the ball as hard as any midfielder. Chases and hits as hard as Robinson.

Simpson is fearless.

Murphy isn't soft after he went hard at the ball with Hodge and Dangerfield bearing down on him.

Last edited:
MEB is going to need a new TV every time she sees Eddie run out in those God-awful Adelaide colours.

Either that or she could put up a crazy-catch net to stop the remotes getting to the screen.

By round 5 she may well be ready to line up alongside Clarke in the slips cordon.:oops:

Hahahahaha. You know me so well.
Actually, I'm a sucker for punishment. I'm gonna go watch him play in Adelaide a couple times when I can get over there.

Take some time out and watch Kreuzer's games or highlights before you come on here with that fallacy. This isn't the main board. Kreuzer attacks the ball as hard as any midfielder. Chases and hits as hard as Robinson.

Simpson is fearless.

Murphy isn't soft after he went hard at the ball with Hodge and Dangerfield bearing down on him.

Sorry to intrude with an unwanted opinion. Have I missed something not sure what I said to occur your displeasure

Agree 100% with what you say about Kreuzer, Simpson and Murphy. Have always thought that Murphy, not unlike Daisy, has been unfairly tagged as soft at times. All I have seen is to the contrary. My original point was to say I wouldn't criticise Yarran , Garlett or Gibbs for not being as maniacal in their attack on the Ball as Daisy because few are. It was a point made to praise Daisy not criticise the others.

As you point out Carlton have other hard at it players, the 3 you mention and Robinson is the other that springs to mind immediately . That is the group Daisy belongs to. Anyway sorry to get your backs up on your board, not intended.

Simpson is fearless.

If you'd actually bothered to read, he was referring to the three that FAZ spoke of on the last page (Gibbs, Yarran & Garlett).

He actually wasn't having a crack at any of the three you just got wound up about.

Sorry to intrude with an unwanted opinion. Have I missed something not sure what I said to occur your displeasure

Agree 100% with what you say about Kreuzer, Simpson and Murphy. Have always thought that Murphy, not unlike Daisy, has been unfairly tagged as soft at times. All I have seen is to the contrary. My original point was to say I wouldn't criticise Yarran , Garlett or Gibbs for not being as maniacal in their attack on the Ball as Daisy because few are. It was a point made to praise Daisy not criticise the others.

As you point out Carlton have other hard at it players, the 3 you mention and Robinson is the other that springs to mind immediately . That is the group Daisy belongs to. Anyway sorry to get your backs up on your board, not intended.
You didn't miss anything, he just hadn't read what you were referring to :thumbsu: nothing wrong with your point at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back