Welcome to Collingwood: Our new Barkly Brothers and Sisters

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to be realistic here, but what kind of return do you expect from an incredibly big region that contains 7000-8000 people?

Fair question, I ignored the population statistic! It is the NT after all!

Maybe its more one-way than two-way, but I'm OK with that.

Terrific stuff 76woodenspooners

When I first heard about this, the import didn't really sink in. But now I'm starting to pay attention, and its exciting. Potentially a highly beneficial two-way program between AFL clubs and these remote communities. I hope the Pies use some of our buckets of money to fully fund and support this. I can see us getting a fantastic return, while doing some really good work.

Does sound like the Club will get behind this going by there Article last night

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-02-03/collingwood-receives-academy-funding

AFL Barkly
Know anyone playing Premier League in the NTFL? Some great photos go up every week on the AFL Northern Territory Facebook page. Check them out! Matthew Green in this one doing some spoiling for Waratah yesterday.

January 27 at 9:14pm · Public
21 · Like · Comment · Share · Full Story · · Matthew Green from Barkly looks a big kid

Last edited:
Fair question, I ignored the population statistic! It is the NT after all!

Maybe its more one-way than two-way, but I'm OK with that.

I think it has to be two way (big fan of reciprocity) but it could easily be that way. Here's an idea how that could work ...

(1) Collingwood FC hold a one week off-season training camp in Tennant Creek

(2) Pie in the Sky travel put together a **reasonable** travel package for Collingwood supporters to go along. And by "reasonable" I mean NOT offering some package deal where supporters pay $25000 to have Scott Pendlebury read them a bed-time story (as the club usually does). Get as many people as possible to come along. Amongst the best development for outback towns is to have people come to town, buy bread milk and coffee, and when they return home they tell their mates about the good time they had.

(3) if the locals can put on an exhibition match that'd be awesome.

(4) if the locals can put on cultural activities then that'd be awesome.

(5) The Collingwood lads would be training in heat and humidity.

(6) The Collingwood lads put on some coaching clinics.

(7) Daytrip out to community (if the locals are open to that)

(8) Maybe turn it into an annual festival if the locals are open to that.

It might not seem like it from the comfort of a chair in front of a computer screen in suburban Melbourne ...

... But a week out to a place like Tennant Creek would be trip of a lifetime stuff. It's not for everybody - but it'd be memorable for everybody.

I'd imagine the Collingwood lads would get a heap out of it - at least as much as they'd be giving back.

Last edited:
I think it has to be two way (big fan of reciprocity) but it could easily be that way. Here's an idea how that could work ...

(1) Collingwood FC hold a one week off-season training camp in Tennant Creek

(2) Pie in the Sky travel put together a **reasonable** travel package for Collingwood supporters to go along. And by "reasonable" I mean NOT offering some package deal where supporters pay $25000 to have Scott Pendlebury read them a bed-time story (as the club usually does). Get as many people as possible to come along. Amongst the best development for outback towns is to have people come to town, buy bread milk and coffee, and when they return home they tell their mates about the good time they had.

(3) if the locals can put on an exhibition match that'd be awesome.

(4) if the locals can put on cultural activities then that'd be awesome.

(5) The Collingwood lads would be training in heat and humidity.

(6) The Collingwood lads put on some coaching clinics.

(7) Daytrip out to community (if the locals are open to that)

(8) Maybe turn it into an annual festival if the locals are open to that.

It might not seem like it from the comfort of a chair in front of a computer screen in suburban Melbourne ...

... But a week out to a place like Tennant Creek would be trip of a lifetime stuff. It's not for everybody - but it'd be memorable for everybody.

I'd imagine the Collingwood lads would get a heap out of it - at least as much as they'd be giving back.

Then how would Academy be Set-Up?

MATHEW GREEN BARKLY.
Saints roll through Warriors
NT News-17Jan.,2016
the NTFL Premier League but sit second on percentage. ... Waratah were enthusiastic. early but ... Tennant Creek AFL prospect Matthew Green shone for Waratah, despite his youth. 12647204_565618150261213_3801767456246302710_n.jpg

Is he counted as Aboriginal or Not?
You would have to ask his parent's if he has indiginous bloodlines but good to see a Barkly kid with some football ability doing ok in NT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys just a bit of clarification? Does this mean we can draft Aboriginal players from our Northern Teritory zone using the same acadamy system as teams in NSW and QLD ie bidding system?
Also what is the deal with the Oakleigh region and how do you clasify non football background or diverse background ? Is a first generation Aussie classified under that category? Also who else would be regarded as diverse or non football background?

Hi guys just a bit of clarification? Does this mean we can draft Aboriginal players from our Northern Teritory zone using the same acadamy system as teams in NSW and QLD ie bidding system?/QUOTE]

Not Sure at the Moment. AFL said to be Still working on the Finer Details.

So Liam the U-15 AA Kid still might not be a Definite Magpie Acadamey Yet

Then how would Academy be Set-Up?

My guess is that Collingwood would provide training and equipment to existing Barkly coaches. Probably fly them to Melbourne rather than have Collingwood folks fly to Tennant Creek (unfortunately).

My guess is that Collingwood would provide training and equipment to existing Barkly coaches. Probably fly them to Melbourne rather than have Collingwood folks fly to Tennant Creek (unfortunately).

Could Collingwood Hire some People who would work at Tennant Creek?

That sounds a bit pathetic really. Throwing a bit of money from a distance. They'd be well used to that approach up there. I do hope a lot more happens than that.

That sounds a bit pathetic really. Throwing a bit of money from a distance. They'd be well used to that approach up there. I do hope a lot more happens than that.

I completely agree with you, couldn't possibly agree more!

Not casting aspersions specifically at Collingwood, but I have seen what happens when not-for-profit organisations get their hands on development largesse, and it has made me a bit cynical about these things.

And it gets worse - holding onto a considerable percentage of the funds to cover "management expenses".

I can see that it can be difficult subject: you have a footy club with 80,000 'passionate' supporters who want to win a Premiership. Many wouldn't take too kindly to the club spending any of their own money or resources on non-core activities like this. Yes, the AFL has given us money to spend on this, but how much? And how do we split it with our activities in Oakleigh?

And if we do send people to Tennant Creek - who do we send? And how long for? Not everybody is in a position to pack up and go bush for a period of time. It probably takes two days travelling just to get there. And not everybody is suitable to do that kind of work - these things can very easily go pear shaped - you can't just send anybody.

And Tennant Creek already has the Clontarf academy which looks like it does a similar kind of thing. How do we dovetail in with that effectively?

These are all challenges, but I wouldn't think any of them are insurmountable. Just takes a bit of vision, a bit of homework, and a bit of creative thinking.

I believe this could represent a fantastic opportunity for Collingwood if we do it properly - which is the primary reason we should embrace it. And it also might do something good for the people of Barkly which would be a nice bonus.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you, couldn't possibly agree more!

Not casting aspersions specifically at Collingwood, but I have seen what happens when not-for-profit organisations get their hands on development largesse, and it has made me a bit cynical about these things.

And it gets worse - holding onto a considerable percentage of the funds to cover "management expenses".

I can see that it can be difficult subject: you have a footy club with 80,000 'passionate' supporters who want to win a Premiership. Many wouldn't take too kindly to the club spending any of their own money or resources on non-core activities like this. Yes, the AFL has given us money to spend on this, but how much? And how do we split it with our activities in Oakleigh?

And if we do send people to Tennant Creek - who do we send? And how long for? Not everybody is in a position to pack up and go bush for a period of time. It probably takes two days travelling just to get there. And not everybody is suitable to do that kind of work - these things can very easily go pear shaped - you can't just send anybody.

And Tennant Creek already has the Clontarf academy which looks like it does much the same thing. How do we dovetail in with that effectively?

These are all challenges, and they wouldn't think any of them are insurmountable. Just takes a bit of vision, a bit of homework, and a bit of creative thinking.

I believe this could represent a fantastic opportunity for Collingwood if we do it properly - which is the primary reason we should embrace it. And it also might do something good for the people of Barkly which would be a nice bonus.

Be Good IF Both Parties get Postive Outcome out of this.

Would Collingwood work with the Clontarf Acadamey?

Would Collingwood work with the Clontarf Acadamey?

It looks like Clontarf is focused just on boys, whereas the AFL development funds are specifically for boys and girls. And Clontarf has a wider mission in the community than just AFL - it covers a range of sports and community engagement activities.

It would seem to make good sense to work with Clontarf to make sure the program is complimentary, but I don't think it should just be outsourced to them.

It looks like Clontarf is focused just on boys, whereas the AFL development funds are specifically for boys and girls. And Clontarf has a wider mission in the community than just AFL - it covers a range of sports and community engagement activities.

It would seem to make good sense to work with Clontarf to make sure the program is complimentary, but I don't think it should just be outsourced to them.

Fair Enough and I guess we will do the Footy Work but as Clontarf to keep eye on the Boys when club people are not there. Women I am not sure about

Remove this Banner Ad

Back