Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Scrimmers definitely did. Not sure about Frosty?
I was more sure Frost did so assuming I'm not mistaken that's quite odd that 3 tall defenders have got the same injury within 12 months.

I hope he enjoys exercise bikes/zwift….Dgb in 12 weeks time…
Formula 1 Gym GIF by Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport
of months…

Can you still do squats and jumping with turf toe?
Surely not with the below explanation :(

From Google:

Turf toe typically happens when you have your toe planted on the ground and your heel raised. Turf toe occurs if you apply a force to your toe that makes it angle upwards more than it should. For example, it may happen if you are pushing off from a sprint and your toe gets stuck on the ground.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 11.35.46 am.png

Can you still do squats and jumping with turf toe?
I wouldn't advise it. Certainly not jumping. Squats can be do-able with a shoe that has a solid enough base, but even so you're not going to get the same force output through the entire foot on that side. A lot of people might think that you shouldn't squat through your toes and simply use your heel or the outside of your foot but using the entire thing including midfoot and toes is so important for stability.

He's going to need significant time of just rest, some low effort active recovery before he'll be doing anything too strenuous using his feet.

Which in theory sounds fine, but if he can’t keep up the fitness base it’ll just exacerbates all the worst parts of his game if he’s coming back top heavy.

Can still do plenty of cardio without running.

I wouldn't advise it. Certainly not jumping. Squats can be do-able with a shoe that has a solid enough base, but even so you're not going to get the same force output through the entire foot on that side. A lot of people might think that you shouldn't squat through your toes and simply use your heel or the outside of your foot but using the entire thing including midfoot and toes is so important for stability.

He's going to need significant time of just rest, some low effort active recovery before he'll be doing anything too strenuous using his feet.
Rough, I remember it did a number on Sandilands but he was giant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can he do non-load bearing cardio?
I’m thinking swimming, exercise bike and even pool running with the flotation vest.

Can he do non-load bearing cardio?
I’m thinking swimming, exercise bike and even pool running with the flotation vest.
I'd suggest he'll be doing a lot of cycling, eventually anti-grav running. Ultimately you don't want to keep him off it entirely, you want him to progress through as much pain free movement as possible.

Worst timing for him. Might have got a few games early on to show something. Can't see him being offered another deal now.

I can't see any reason why we wouldn't offer him another deal.

Worst timing for him. Might have got a few games early on to show something. Can't see him being offered another deal now.
Sam, the other coaches, Burge, teammates have all said this summer when asked about DGB that he is progressing nicely and there is acknowledgement that some taller players take longer to find their way at the level than others.

You don't have to agree with that line of thinking but do realise that the club isn't going to run with that type of messaging about a player just to do a 180 on the position when they cop a 3 month injury before round 1.

I can think of more than a few.

Such as?

Let's not forget we have arguably the worst KPD grouping out of any team not named North Melbourne and he is one of the very few developing KPD/KPP on our list.

He's 21 years old soon to be 22.

Sam, the other coaches, Burge, teammates have all said this summer when asked about DGB that he is progressing nicely and there is acknowledgement that some taller players take longer to find their way at the level than others.

You don't have to agree with that line of thinking but do realise that the club isn't going to run with that type of messaging about a player just to do a 180 on the position when they cop a 3 month injury before round 1.

It's such a shame both he and Blanck have copped these injuries. This year is/was a crucial year for their development on a personal and a team level. Hopefully DGB's fitness doesn't take too much of a hit so he can get straight back into games once he's cleared.

I agree he would almost certainly get another contract offer but I think sometimes we can put too much stock in to the clubs public comments. Unless he was just a lazy slacker (no indication he is) they aren’t going to say much else other than what they have. Clubs will almost always stick by its guys especially during the pre season.

If they gave Chad who's is in the twilight of his career and coming off a ruptured achilles an extra year then I cannot see why they wouldn't give DGB an extra year at the bare minimum

I'd suggest he'll be doing a lot of cycling, eventually anti-grav running. Ultimately you don't want to keep him off it entirely, you want him to progress through as much pain free movement as possible.
Unfortunately a few recent high performance studies show you can do the aerobic work, but unless the training is specific to the event there isnt any benefit as far as keeping that fitness up.

It may give a mental benefit though as far as being able to train and being involved with the group .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back