Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

For the first time in a while opposition defences have some questions to answer. How do we organise our back structure so one of two 2m marking forwards isn’t vs a running back. Chol is a handful, with Mitch we have formidable marking power.

back shoulder physical. curtail his jump & space.
Possible. I remember Archer did this very well vs N.Holland, but he wasn't so quick off the mark.
Doubt it would work so well vs Chol.

1. You're giving up the lead
2. He's very strong and can push back, unless you get under his hips for the high ball.
3. There's no way you'll reach the ball over his shoulder, around his back, or get above him when he leaps, so at worst crumbers gonna love it.

Chol will do as well as Chol wants to IMO.
Few defenders can match him if he becomes the focused and motivated player we need him to be.

Footy journalists don’t know shit about what players are getting paid.

Being that they like to pretend to breach privacy laws for shits and gigs maybe it’s time to start letting players tweet out what journos earn from peddling gossip.

Really have a feeling that way we get the ball fast from one end to the other will really suit Marbior's game. Looking at all his highlights he loves to isolate his man and tap it backwards to space where he knows it's going and for 200cm he's pretty bloody agile and good below his knees which is rare for a guy that big. Also have a feeling that this lazy stigma that he has labelled on him is overblown and I'm confident he'll look great up forward for us.

I can’t figure out if he looks lazy or he actually is.

In his highlights he does a fantastic little lead back at the kicker at one point and it looks so laconic and lazy but his defender was in all sorts cause of it

laconic is different to lazy, but i guess we will get to know quite well next season.
I trust the judgement of MM and SM.
Yes, they have had some pretty good picks so far. I hope Sam and the coaches can turn his vast talent into consistent high level performance. Like a famous ex hawk, he's a big man with the speed and agility of a little bloke, could be anything if they find the switch.

450K per season is peanuts for a kpf who kicks +40 goals a season.
Putting aside that I think it's a fine salary to pay Chol, particularly considering the AFL average is probably going to be near enough $400k with the TPP increases... Chol doesn't kick 40+ a season. He's done it once, 2 years ago. Averaged out he kicks just over 10 a season.

Putting aside that I think it's a fine salary to pay Chol, particularly considering the AFL average is probably going to be near enough $400k with the TPP increases... Chol doesn't kick 40+ a season. He's done it once, 2 years ago. Averaged out he kicks just over 10 a season.
Using that average is just as misleading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of averages/performances for Chol, I'd prefer to look at his last two or three seasons given he's a KPP, and thus the first few seasons are generally rough on them.

In terms of averages/performances for Chol, I'd prefer to look at his last two or three seasons given he's a KPP, and thus the first few seasons are generally rough on them.
Yes, averaging over 6 seasons when a lot played at VFL not AFL is nonsense.

Using that average is just as misleading.
Agreed Tony. Goals per game matter along with the other role that Chol plays in the team (relief ruck). There will not be a need to play 2 ruckmen meaning a spot is freed up for a utility (e.g. Weddle) to link up around the ground.
Chol is important not just for the goals he kicks but also for the balance of the team and the goals that creates.

Yes, averaging over 6 seasons when a lot played at VFL not AFL is nonsense.
Great. So a 40 goal a year forward is being played at VFL level? How does that not prove my point?

Having one 40 goal season is not the same as being a 40+ goal a season forward. He hasn't had another season above 10 goals.

That sums up this user
Yeah, I'm a real debbie downer.

You're not wrong, you're just being a Debbie Downer
I'm being realistic about what we've got. He's a serviceable key forward who suits our structure a lot better than Kosi did, and we're paying him a bit above the league average to be that. Expecting him to be a 40 goal a year forward because he did it 2 years ago is unrealistic, I'm just trying to frame expectation so that this board doesn't go through another 4 year period of constant pissing and moaning about a player not meeting their expectations like we did with Wingard and O'Meara.

The highlight package shows two different styles of play. For Richmond a typical big forward's game, but for the suns, much more of a crumbing mid size player's goals (apart from the last one). So, has the way he has been coached part of the perception of his abilities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back