Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

Rapt. Watched him dismantle BH in that final, and thought, we need to get him!

Cant wait to see him get to work with Lewis. 200cm forwards who can hit the scoreboard and provide ruck relief are hard to find.
I am the same. Lewis is a great athlete but Chol has rare explosiveness for a player his size and they should complement each other.

Looking forward to seeing how Chol goes in the ruck especially the Centre bounces.

Rapt. Watched him dismantle BH in that final, and thought, we need to get him!

Cant wait to see him get to work with Lewis. 200cm forwards who can hit the scoreboard and provide ruck relief are hard to find.

Could he play the Hale role I can’t remember how much Hale did ruck work at North before we got him did he do alot was more a Forward from memory.

Marboir and Ramsden on permanent rotation with Ramsden taking majority ruck? Although if he can kick close to 50 goals might not be worth it.

Marbior really suits this side well.

We now have a proper MARKING full forward in Marbior Chol who can kick straight to complement Mitch Lewis.

It beggars belief that the ability to kick straight as a fwd is not often talked about. If a FF takes a brilliant mark and then butchers the kick at goal their ability to mark is moot. Worse, if great play by the team ends up in the FF hands and that FF massacres the kick, then they are a liability to the team.

Not Chol. He is a reliable kick. Edit: not perfect but good.

Marbior fixes our team‘s structure like few others in the AFL could. He is athletically supremely gifted with a prodigious leap and is faster than expected.

He may struggle to keep up in the 2km time trials but hey, few could with the Hawks group.

I could not be more pleased to see Marbior on our list.

Good times will follow.

Last edited:
Let's be real, this guy is worth a late first/early second round pick.
He is a legitimate KPF who is a threat in the air and when the ball hits the ground.
Also a viable second ruck - just look at some of his centre-clearance breakaway runs.

He's not perfect but we got an absolute bargain!

That is an absurdly good highlights package for a player of his standing in the game.

If you had never watched him and just looked at that highlights package you would swear he is an elite key forward.

Has the talent just gotta hope the penny has finally dropped for him.

That is an absurdly good highlights package for a player of his standing in the game.

If you had never watched him and just looked at that highlights package you would swear he is an elite key forward.

40 goals in a sh!tty team is the result you'd expect from an elite KPF!

Watching him in the VFL final against us he dominated while simultaneously looking like he had checked out. Took hangers and kicked a bag of goals but barely showed any emotion.

Except for when one of his teammates did something great and then he was all smiles and rushing over to celebrate.

Hopefully a good indication that he’s a great teammate and all that’s been needed to get the best out of him is for him to have a club respect and love him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've watched his highlights a few times now, and while I know they are literally his best moments, I can't help thinking to myself he deadset looks like one of the best KP forwards in the league in those clips.

I can't wait to see his fuller performances because I see some exceptional talents in the way he plays.
Very good kicking and finishing.
Good ball handling.
Strong as an ox.
Huge leap.
Fast.

One thing in our favour is the he hasn't had much continuity in coaching, and if by the sound of things Hardwick did not rate him at all, Chol might benefit from a bit of faith the club and Mitchell have shown in him, as well as guidance on his game. He probably didn't get much at Richmond. When the big boss says you're s**t, not too many will put their heads above the parapet and take a chance on you.

Chol has the makings of a superstar KPF imho.
I know the club will give him every chance, so it's up to him whether he becomes Buddy-light, or the AFL's Balotelli.

He's got such unique athleticism for someone his size.

I really hope he (and Ginnivan) pulls his finger out and is prepared to work hard to get the best out of himself. There's a spot for him in the side and he needs to own it. Hopefully he works out a partnership with both Lewis and Reeves/Meek.

Watching Chol streak out of the ruck contest with pace will be such a refreshing change compared to watching essentially all the rucks we've had for years trudge along.

I honestly got the opposite from it. It looked like the highlights package of a small forward which, while interesting, is not necessarily ideal when you've traded for a tall marking target. There's some great goals streaming back towards goal in there, but it's lacking in big contests and big marks.

The centre clearance against West Coast was great though, I remember watching that live with family.

Let's be real, this guy is worth a late first/early second round pick.
He is a legitimate KPF who is a threat in the air and when the ball hits the ground.
Also a viable second ruck - just look at some of his centre-clearance breakaway runs.

He's not perfect but we got an absolute bargain!

Terrific highlights package. Of course highlights are just that but with both Chol and Ginnivan we have guys who are capable of doing some things other players are not capable of. We just need to unpack the discipline and work ethic

There has never been any questioning of Mabior's talent. He is big, athletic, great leap, and usually kicks straight. However, he is accused of sometimes being lazy and chucking the towel in when things get tough. A big challenge for the coaching staff but a huge upside if we can get him playing consistent footy.
Yes, he is a bit of a gamble. 5 years on reasonably good salary and a second round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back