Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

We have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with CJ/Weddle streaming out of the backline. I'd rather they be the option on the wing using endurance and speed to get separation as the the outlet. And then stream forward to either hit up a forward or take the shot.

We have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with CJ/Weddle streaming out of the backline. I'd rather they be the option on the wing using endurance and speed to get separation as the the outlet. And then stream forward to either hit up a forward or take the shot.
Its more that the game is won and lost a lot of the time from the half back line. It is why teams have quick / skillful players playing there. Transition football wins games more often than not.

Its more that the game is won and lost a lot of the time from the half back line. It is why teams have quick / skillful players playing there. Transition football wins games more often than not.
Seamus, Amon, Sicily, Scrimshaw and Impey all meet that criteria. And you have to transition to someone as the link.

Seamus, Amon, Sicily, Scrimshaw and Impey all meet that criteria. And you have to transition to someone as the link.
These positions are FLUID!

FLUID!!

These positions are FLUID!

FLUID!!
Seamus isn't currently in the side. Sicily will mostly likely get tagged every week. Scrim is now playing KPD which leaves Impey and Amon. If and when we have more options to run and carry we definitely be fluid

They are both headless chooks at times, they need to work on when to dish it off before running down a blind alley.

But when it works they generally flip the field, or at the very least force teams to adjust their set-ups quickly.

Hopefully Sam shows them footage of peak Hill and Smith.

Seamus isn't currently in the side. Sicily will mostly likely get tagged every week. Scrim is now playing KPD which leaves Impey and Amon. If and when we have more options to run and carry we definitely be fluid
I think Seamus would have been in the side if he hadn't had his jaw broken. I'd rather Phillips and Frost to play KPD, but that is just my opinion. Think that we partially waste Scrimshaw's assets to fill in a list management hole.

I think Seamus would have been in the side if he hadn't had his jaw broken. I'd rather Phillips and Frost to play KPD, but that is just my opinion. Think that we partially waste Scrimshaw's assets to fill in a list management hole.
I think Scrimshaw assets are not being wasted mate. They are being enhanced. Phillips is not quite ready but i am sure he will come in at some stage to fill a role if he is good enough

I said to my Essendon mates that nobody will catch Weddle once he is off.
A few minutes later he got caught HTB..:oops:

I don't feel he looked super comfortable defending on Saturday.

I think Scrimshaw assets are not being wasted mate. They are being enhanced. Phillips is not quite ready but i am sure he will come in at some stage to fill a role if he is good enough
Agree they are being enhanced. But if we had two well established KPDs, with depth, would we even entertain the current approach?

Agree they are being enhanced. But if we had two well established KPDs, with depth, would we even entertain the current approach?
We have been since last year. Scrim is a long way down the path. He actually rolled on Lewis and Chol in match practice in pre season. It's part of his development. To add he was really good defensively on his opponent

We have been since last year. Scrim is a long way down the path. He actually rolled on Lewis and Chol in match practice in pre season. It's part of his development. To add he was really good defensively on his opponent
I understand that this is part of his development. But you haven't really answered my question, if we had really good KPD stocks would we have gone down this path to make him a KPD?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue was with Sicily being tagged by guelfi, and scrim following jones meant the bombers still had wright, stringer, Langford to cover. Frost and Hardwick generally took wright and Langford which left stringer on weddle at times. Or when weddle went up the ground we had a smaller defender and bombers found the mismatch.

Weddle did look pretty uncomfortable defensively however.

I understand that this is part of his development. But you haven't really answered my question, if we had really good KPD stocks would we have gone down this path to make him a KPD?
It's a question that immortal because Luke Hodge was midfielder and so was Sam Mitchell. They play where it best suits the team. Sometimes it even makes them better players. Scrim has the height and the build to play in the role. He will roll through different opponents once we get more adept at team defense. This apprenticeship serves him in good stead. His days of playing on smaller opponent may happen in the future but you do what's necessary for the team. Here is a question for you if we had better KP defenders would Scrim even make the team?

Probably not, but it serves two purposes.

Short term, it fills a hole (to an extent) that a physically bigger player ideally would.

Longer / medium term it instils in Jack a more committed defensive mindset which will make him a better player.

The issue was with Sicily being tagged by guelfi, and scrim following jones meant the bombers still had wright, stringer, Langford to cover. Frost and Hardwick generally took wright and Langford which left stringer on weddle at times. Or when weddle went up the ground we had a smaller defender and bombers found the mismatch.

Weddle did look pretty uncomfortable defensively however.

He looks as uncomfortable as Sicily forward.

It's a question that immortal because Luke Hodge was midfielder and so was Sam Mitchell. They play where it best suits the team. Sometimes it even makes them better players. Scrim has the height and the build to play in the role. He will roll through different opponents once we get more adept at team defense. This apprenticeship serves him in good stead. His days of playing on smaller opponent may happen in the future but you do what's necessary for the team. Here is a question for you if we had better KP defenders would Scrim even make the team?

Didn’t hodgey win a normie at CHB? 2008

They are both headless chooks at times, they need to work on when to dish it off before running down a blind alley.

But when it works they generally flip the field, or at the very least force teams to adjust their set-ups quickly.

Especially Weddle able to kick a long goal like smiss or suckling or Sicily could/can

Still a work in progress based on the Dons game, but I felt his runs with the ball were a lot more purposeful than last year where it often felt like he was just running and hoping something would come up before he ran himself into trouble.

He probably should have lowered the eyes and hit Croc up for a certain goal, but I also don't mind our players backing themselves to just take a shot if they've got one. It's less frustrating to see than pieces of play that don't even result in a shot because players are over using it trying to setup a certain goal or be unselfish and end up turning it over.

And that one handed speckie?

Oh My God Wow GIF by MOODMAN

He probably should have lowered the eyes and hit Croc up for a certain goal, but I also don't mind our players backing themselves to just take a shot if they've got one. It's less frustrating to see than pieces of play that don't even result in a shot because players are over using it trying to setup a certain goal or be unselfish and end up turning it over.
This exactly. If you have the ball within 50m of goal and you're in space you should really be having a shot. Nothing frustrates me more than being too cute with it. You're an AFL player, you should be able to kick it from 50 more often than not.

This exactly. If you have the ball within 50m of goal and you're in space you should really be having a shot. Nothing frustrates me more than being too cute with it. You're an AFL player, you should be able to kick it from 50 more often than not.

MacDonald was free next to the goal square with no one near him. Taking a shot from an angle whilst on the run is excusable when the 50 is congested, but when someone is free in plenty of space then you just have to do the team thing.

Last edited:

This is also why half back suits them more, especially on turnover. Getting it facing up field and being able to run and evade is easier than doing u turns which is more in Impey and Amons skill sets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back