List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Bailey Williams (Pick 35)

Remove this Banner Ad

He is by far and away the most improved (Long the only real competition) on the list in 2023.
One of the few shining lights in what has been a lights out coal mine of a season.

Should get more recognition.

The rate of improvement this year has been such that the need for English has dropped from 'we need a ruck, what do we pay?' to 'he'd be nice to have if we can get him on a free or really, really cheap'.

He is by far and away the most improved (Long the only real competition) on the list in 2023.
One of the few shining lights in what has been a lights out coal mine of a season.

Should get more recognition.

The rate of improvement this year has been such that the need for English has dropped from 'we need a ruck, what do we pay?' to 'he'd be nice to have if we can get him on a free or really, really cheap'.
Don’t think you can count Long as an improved player in his first season

Briggs is the one you want to compare him with. Taken one pick earlier in the same draft and played fewer games but is tracking to be a genuine A grade ruckman now.

Bailey is better than a few other developing rucks but the Briggs comparison makes the most sense

Briggs is the one you want to compare him with. Taken one pick earlier in the same draft and played fewer games but is tracking to be a genuine A grade ruckman now.

Bailey is better than a few other developing rucks but the Briggs comparison makes the most sense

D786362F-5778-47F2-9289-EAF4ED1F8EE8.jpeg
A1B9C719-A30A-4B20-87AF-42E38BB5678F.jpeg

Briggs seems to have a slight advantage in most stats.

But...
impossible to judge how much of that is due to him playing in a better team with better players in support etc.
I'd also rather look at BW's stats for 2023 vs. G stats for 2023 to better track how they are progressing.
Let's be honest, BW struggled and largely looked a spud until this year. Kept showing enough for hope without real impact until 2023.

But...
impossible to judge how much of that is due to him playing in a better team with better players in support etc.
I'd also rather look at BW's stats for 2023 vs. G stats for 2023 to better track how they are progressing.
Let's be honest, BW struggled and largely looked a spud until this year. Kept showing enough for hope without real impact until 2023.

Williams stat line averages for 2023:

Kicks 6
Handballs 7.6
Marks 1.9
Goals 0.26
Clearances 4.3
Hitouts 27.6

So superior to Briggs on pretty much all stats (stats aren't everything though).

EDIT: I was going Williams 2023 v Briggs career (not really thinking). Keys shows Briggs with better stats over 2023.

Last edited:

But...

2023 stats

E8BACFE6-4052-4BB2-8F1E-991CF9AB7D08.jpeg
1D5CF7A2-58A0-43EC-88D5-4E1667F95AAA.jpeg

From memory we bid on Briggs, forcing Giants to match.

From the eye test, Briggs seems a bit more of a natural footballer and Bailey is a bit more athletic and prone to a few more brain fades. (Like Cleffy, Briggs also in my SC team haha.) They are really comparable in how they can win their own ball from stoppages, pretty good overhead.

I really like how BBW is starting to use his athleticism more in his follow-up efforts as the year's gone on. Cos of this, I reckon Bailey can become a dangerous resting forward too if he keeps gaining confidence like he has been. This seems pretty important POD in rucks given how the modern game is played. Briggs is a good mark but not sure he's the guy you want putting pressure on post-clearance.

But yeah, this is where it's at. Get some more fleet-footed mids around BBW instead of the plodders he's been serving this year, then it'd be interesting to compare.

Had a super year. I think it should force the clubs hand to retire Nic. If Nic was to come back next year, all it is going to do is stunt Bailey's growth as he will go back to being a forward/ruck with a 75/25 split.

I think if Nic does go, the club should rookie or give the last list spot to a experienced big as insurance. If Bailey goes down and Barnett still isn't quite ready then at least we have some coverage in that area.

Had a super year. I think it should force the clubs hand to retire Nic. If Nic was to come back next year, all it is going to do is stunt Bailey's growth as he will go back to being a forward/ruck with a 75/25 split.

I think if Nic does go, the club should rookie or give the last list spot to a experienced big as insurance. If Bailey goes down and Barnett still isn't quite ready then at least we have some coverage in that area.
We've got Jamieson, J.Williams and Harry Edwards for that though.

Then there's Rotham who WCE can chuck in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've got Jamieson, J.Williams and Harry Edwards for that though.

Then there's Rotham who WCE can chuck in there.
J.Williams needs to be developed as key forward, not a ruck.

With TB on the way out Harry needs to play down back full time.

Rotham if still on the list is not a ruck, will need to help cover down back.

Without Nic, Leaves us with Bailey, Jamo and Barnett.

If Barnett is considered still a year away from being ready to play senior footy, and one of or both Jamo or Bailey gets a long-term injury, then we a very light on in the ruck department.

Need 4 genuine rucks I believe on your list, especially with one very much in a development phase.

Bailey Williams (2022) vs Bailey Williams (2023)

If he can maintain the same rate of improvement into next year and beyond we’ve found a more than serviceable ruckman

109D4B4D-293A-4E28-8A91-2A44E6B6E1AF.jpeg
0CA222FF-2038-4E86-9212-C467985EC0FB.jpeg

Definitely thought he would be delisted at the end of this year. Great to see the improvement in his game. Hopefully he can also add to his game by becoming a legitimate scoreboard threat.

Definitely thought he would be delisted at the end of this year. Great to see the improvement in his game. Hopefully he can also add to his game by becoming a legitimate scoreboard threat.
Whilst that would be good, his dropping into holes in defence and clunking marks is pretty useful too. If he doesn't come on as a forward but can be that defensive ruck, that also works (although would prefer him kicking goals).

He is still too slight for the 1st choice ruck role. He got destroyed in the hitouts by Goldstein/Xerri. All year he has had a issue in the centre square bouncedowns with players who simply run at him, push his body out of the way and grab it out of the ruck. Goldstein did that more then a few times , Tim English has that same weakness mind you

In the off season, Williams needs to improve his centre square ruck work big time and I guess ultimately needs to put on more muscle. For a 100kg guy he is moved off the ball easily

He is still too slight for the 1st choice ruck role. He got destroyed in the hitouts by Goldstein/Xerri. All year he has had a issue in the centre square bouncedowns with players who simply run at him, push his body out of the way and grab it out of the ruck. Goldstein did that more then a few times , Tim English has that same weakness mind you

In the off season, Williams needs to improve his centre square ruck work big time and I guess ultimately needs to put on more muscle. For a 100kg guy he is moved off the ball easily
1690854720807.png

:think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back