News West Coast / Essendon Australian Farming Tribute Game

Remove this Banner Ad

a

That's a pretty narrow minded opinion champ.. They're the ones battling drought, cyclones, plagues, flooding, salinity etc to put fresh produce on your table. A lot of my family just lost all their crops in Carnarvon and some are now facing an uncertain future - something that any normal person would feel for and hopefully support where possible.

Farmers are supposed to be some of the toughest, most resilient citizens in Australia so why farmers suicide rates the higher of any occupation? But who cares right when you can buy cheaper imports and ruin our entire agriculture industry. Hope you enjoy your Hep A.

I for one think it's one of the more relevant tribute matches going around and think it's fantastic that local farmers will be getting a large endorsement by a nation wide corporation that attracts hundreds of thousands of viewers. Anything to help our true aussie battlers.
I think in some ways that's the easy way out. I'm sure they were fully aware of the risks of farming in the area. Also, you can't blame woolworths and Coles, they move ahead with the times, why can't the farmers too? They need to come up with new technology that reduces the cost of running a farm.

Not quite the same but it's like Nokia complaining that Samsungs screens, which they use in their phones, are too expensive and because they don't have enough customers they're no longer profitable and it's not fair

Happy to be the team supporting WA's farming community.

Here's our tagline for the bumper sticks.

West Coast Eagles - The heart and soul of the WA community.
As opposed to the mob down the road 'The heart and soul of Pfizer'

I think in some ways that's the easy way out. I'm sure they were fully aware of the risks of farming in the area. Also, you can't blame woolworths and Coles, they move ahead with the times, why can't the farmers too? They need to come up with new technology that reduces the cost of running a farm.

Not quite the same but it's like Nokia complaining that Samsungs screens, which they use in their phones, are too expensive and because they don't have enough customers they're no longer profitable and it's not fair

With the best interest of the Australian consumer close to their hearts.

The Aussie farmer has a pretty rough time of it. On one side he has a government adding a stack of compliance cost (OH&S, environmental etc) into his business which limits his competitiveness on the global market and on the other he is faced by a cynical consumer who refuses, by and large to pay any premium for his product and tells him to lift his game.

Luckily the dollar is dying in the arse so the grain exporters have a chance. Would be good for the live export guys too but Jimmy the voter has basically ****ed that industry because "we" think it's right to punish the aussie farmer for someone elses unpalatable practices.

Anyway I digress....Aussie farmers - lazy campaigners really aren't they? :drunk:

OT- I would hope the club would keep anything Essendon at arms length for the forseeable future.

West Coast and Essendon are set to play a Rural Farmers tribute game each year , similar to the Essendon Dreamtime game and Anzac games .

"AFL legend Kevin Sheedy has nominated West Coast as potential partners for Essendon in a new "project game" similar to the Anzac Day & Dreamtime at the 'G clashes." So not really set in stone to play. A Rural Farmers tribute game sounds worthwhile but this sounds like more thought bubble dribble coming out of Essendon to avert our eyes from all the PED crap! Nice try Sheeds but even he will be hard pressed to improve Essendons image. Would prefer another team involved & not involving Essendon!

Last edited:
West Coast and Essendon are set to play a Rural Farmers tribute game each year , similar to the Essendon Dreamtime game and Anzac games .

Kevin Sheedy has been talking to WCE about the tribute game which could be started this season , West Coast also keen on the showcase game to be played each season to raise awareness for Australian Farmers .

Other teams in Geelong and GWS could also be considered .

Sheedy reckons its okay if West Coast fans turn up waving Potato Sacks

Great way to recognise our farmers. Hope this eventuates. But with another club.
Essendon have enough stand alone games. PLUS Sheedy is trying to put the spotlight on them being so innovative rather than a team of drug cheats. Stay away from these flogs.

Because Kevin Sheedy is back at Essendon as Marketing Operations Manager .

zoolander.jpg

Look, I don't have a problem with the round as such - but since when was the hard work and economic risk of farmers greater than that of other professions? A low paid factory worker might not contend with cyclones, but they do contend with global economic downturns - also a force of nature. I'd be far more interested in a Workers Tribute Game, or something, frankly.

Look, I don't have a problem with the round as such - but since when was the hard work and economic risk of farmers greater than that of other professions? A low paid factory worker might not contend with cyclones, but they do contend with global economic downturns - also a force of nature. I'd be far more interested in a Workers Tribute Game, or something, frankly.
It's not just the economic risk, but the growing mental stresses that many in the country face in terms of isolation and personal hardships. Suicide in rural areas is a big problem that often gets overlooked, and as such I think it's a great idea.

It's not just the economic risk, but the growing mental stresses that many in the country face in terms of isolation and personal hardships. Suicide in rural areas is a big problem that often gets overlooked, and as such I think it's a great idea.

Again, no argument as such - except to say that suicide amongst men of low socioeconomic status is a problem whether they're city or country. I just think it's a slippery slope to say that some professions are somehow more inherently noble than others. Try being a not-high school graduated city boy in a low socioeconomic area with no discernible skills or access to social mobility - it's just as bleak as being a farmer is all I'm saying. Why not school cleaners tribute game? Why not council garbage collectors round? Equally important, equally economically isolated, less cherished by the community.

Edit: Why not "Christoper Pyne priced me out of a higher education and all I have to show for it is this crappy tribute game" game? :D

Again, no argument as such - except to say that suicide amongst men of low socioeconomic status is a problem whether they're city or country. I just think it's a slippery slope to say that some professions are somehow more inherently noble than others. Try being a not-high school graduated city boy in a low socioeconomic area with no discernible skills or access to social mobility - it's just as bleak as being a farmer is all I'm saying. Why not school cleaners tribute game? Why not council garbage collectors round? Equally important, equally economically isolated, less cherished by the community.
Equally important is debatable, and the isolation for farmers as opposed to those professions is pretty clearly geographic and more inherent. Either way, you can not have Rounds or days for every group, why not just celebrate this one which is a worthy cause?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Equally important is debatable, and the isolation for farmers as opposed to those professions is pretty clearly geographic and more inherent. Either way, you can not have Rounds or days for every group, why not just celebrate this one which is a worthy cause?

I would argue school cleaners and garbagemen are exactly as important as farmers - for one, I can import an apple; I can't import a clean classroom for my kids. Anyway, that's clutching at straws - again, the spirit is right, but why are we picking winners? A workers tribute or something along those lines would honour a larger group of people that are just as suitably recognised in my view.

Also, I'm not especially crazy about taking part in a cynical Essendon FC legacy-cleaning exercise.

...but why are we picking winners? A workers tribute or something along those lines would honour a larger group of people that are just as suitably recognised in my view.
That's just the world we live in. Workers tribute sounds fine in theory but it would be too broad to mean anything significant IMO. Anyway, it's a pointless debate really and I have work to do. :)

That's just the world we live in. Workers tribute sounds fine in theory but it would be too broad to mean anything significant IMO. Anyway, it's a pointless debate really and I have work to do. :)

Bah, this is totally interesting. Way to ruin our fun thorne89.

Also - I wouldn't say it's too broad. It was the cornerstone of Fremantle's inaugural recruitment drive, and it has done particularly well in a state market not predisposed to lefty-cuddly values.

When they have a good season its very profitable but the isolation and the uncertainty of farming is always prevelent .

I reckon this blockbuster game every year would be great for West Coast especially with WA's vast farming regions .

Farming is a lifestyle choice for most - they want to live on the farm

Unfortunately the taxpayer gets slugged supporting farms on marginally viable land and the "poor farmer" line gets trotted out

People go bust everyday in poor businesses, losing homes, livelihood and having to make do with accommodation they wouldn't have chosen

Yet a farmer sitting on an unviable farm is somehow afforded low interest loans and government support to prop them up for a few years

Classic boom and bust business's - range rovers would be selling like hot cakes this year in WA with many having bumper crops

Of course the poor bloke to Far East not getting enough rain will cry poor whilst many are squirrelling away millions

Farming is a lifestyle choice for most - they want to live on the farm

Unfortunately the taxpayer gets slugged supporting farms on marginally viable land and the "poor farmer" line gets trotted out

People go bust everyday in poor businesses, losing homes, livelihood and having to make do with accommodation they wouldn't have chosen

Yet a farmer sitting on an unviable farm is somehow afforded low interest loans and government support to prop them up for a few years

Classic boom and bust business's - range rovers would be selling like hot cakes this year in WA with many having bumper crops

Of course the poor bloke to Far East not getting enough rain will cry poor whilst many are squirrelling away millions

We need to look at why farms that have been viable for a hundred years now arent - salinity, less water and the massive rise in fertiliser prices as well as superfarms and economies of scale added to unsustainable farming practises bought about by predatory price wars paid for by farmers passed down by colesworths

Just saying a farm is marginal when its been forced onto its knees by the worst grocery duopoly in the western world is a bit harsh

Also a farm on land that historically has had good rain but over the last 20 years has seen that rain decline to 1/4 or less - rivers that were full now permanently empty - thats not a farmers fault

Then you have other things like water contamination/ overuse by fracking companies

Theres more to it than your incredibly simplified version of events

We need to look at why farms that have been viable for a hundred years now arent - salinity, less water and the massive rise in fertiliser prices as well as superfarms and economies of scale added to unsustainable farming practises bought about by predatory price wars paid for by farmers passed down by colesworths

Just saying a farm is marginal when its been forced onto its knees by the worst grocery duopoly in the western world is a bit harsh

Also a farm on land that historically has had good rain but over the last 20 years has seen that rain decline to 1/4 or less - rivers that were full now permanently empty - thats not a farmers fault

Then you have other things like water contamination/ overuse by fracking companies

Theres more to it than your incredibly simplified version of events

Technology, industry and cost pressures affect every single business.. why are farmers so unique?

Technology, industry and cost pressures affect every single business.. why are farmers so unique?

Cost pressures? We have a duoploly unlike anything in the western world - people in america lament the market penetration of walmart and its a fraction of coles / woolworths

The accc should have stepped in a long time ago and stopped it

They are arsewipes

• Persistent demands for additional payments from suppliers, above and beyond that negotiated in their terms of trade;
  • The imposition on suppliers of penalties that did not form part of any negotiated terms of trade, and which apparently do not relate to actual costs incurred by the major supermarket chains as a result of the conduct which has led to the penalty being imposed;
  • Threats to remove products from supermarket shelves or otherwise disadvantage suppliers if claims for extra payments or penalties are not paid;
  • Failure to pay prices agreed with suppliers; and conduct discriminating in favour of homebrand products.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/pred...on-at-coles-20130214-2eev4.html#ixzz3V4zRiRqD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back