News West Coast Lure Baseball Star Home

Remove this Banner Ad

Very unlikely based on the video clip the club broadcast the other day.

His speed and agility look amazing, but it is the other little things that make him look a long way off senior footy.

One that stood out for me, when he marks the ball on the run, he is leaping far too early, then marking the ball with bent elbows. This makes it very easy to spoil for two reasons, he can be nudged whilst off the ground and send him sprawling, or a defender can get a fist in due to the bent elbows.

It is a relatively small thing, but those types of habits are coached out of kids at colts level through hours and hours of training. If he works his butt off over the off season on his rig and little things like that, then he will push for senior selection at East Perth. From there on it is up to him if he can push for game at AFL level.
yeah it will be interesting to see how he develops.

if we look at him as if he was a top-age first year recruit with a reasonably well-developed physique, then you can probably set realistic timeframes for his development.

as with all first year guys, he is probably 2 pre seasons away from getting his endurance right to play full games of top level football. he will probably struggle for consistency in his first 3 years. his goals for his first year will be to play all the pre-season games, and then good enough WAFL football to get a 2-3 game taster of AFL. if that happens early in the season his might be able to get a foothold in the side and play some more games, but thats fairly unlikely.

Being a category B rookie does he take 1 of our 4 rookie spots or is he seperate ?

Edit - just found info we can have 1 category B rookie outside our rookie list . Every cat B rookie after that is on our rugular rookie list .

So it really is a free hit not even using a spot on our normal list :)
Yes, but if it doesn't work out then sack Vozzo, sack Woosha and the match committee, and especially sack Priddis.

On a serious note as to when he might play we need to bear in mind that he will be a rookie listed player so will require someone to be placed on the LTI so he can be elevated.

Newman and maginess are also likely to remain on the rookie list for next year so adamson will be competing with them to be elevated

In short i think it's unlikely he'll play next year other than perhaps a run in the preseason

On a serious note as to when he might play we need to bear in mind that he will be a rookie listed player so will require someone to be placed on the LTI so he can be elevated.

Newman and maginess are also likely to remain on the rookie list for next year so adamson will be competing with them to be elevated

In short i think it's unlikely he'll play next year other than perhaps a run in the preseason

Hoping Maggs gets elevated, I think he has done enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd have to be pretty confident of the depth of this draft for Maginness to miss out on elevation.
Couldn't agree more. Pencil him in for the Michael Tuck medal 2015 - he's going to have a blinder after a full pre-season in the gym

We'd have to be pretty confident of the depth of this draft for Maginness to miss out on elevation.

Another way of looking at it:

Option 1 - no elevation - means we use a r4 pick in the ND

Option 2 - elevation - means we instead use a r2 pick in the RD (assuming Powell and Newman remain rookies)

Using this logic, scepticism in the depth of the draft would mean we don't elevate him.

I wouldn't be surprised if my logic is flawed but that's how I was thinking about it.

Very unlikely based on the video clip the club broadcast the other day.

His speed and agility look amazing, but it is the other little things that make him look a long way off senior footy.

One that stood out for me, when he marks the ball on the run, he is leaping far too early, then marking the ball with bent elbows. This makes it very easy to spoil for two reasons, he can be nudged whilst off the ground and send him sprawling, or a defender can get a fist in due to the bent elbows.

It is a relatively small thing, but those types of habits are coached out of kids at colts level through hours and hours of training. If he works his butt off over the off season on his rig and little things like that, then he will push for senior selection at East Perth. From there on it is up to him if he can push for game at AFL level.
Not quite corect. By jumping early you get your whole body behind the ball rather than just your arms. Also bent arms are a lot stronger than straight arms. If you have seperation from your opponent, much better to go with bent arms

Another way of looking at it:

Option 1 - no elevation - means we use a r4 pick in the ND

Option 2 - elevation - means we instead use a r2 pick in the RD (assuming Powell and Newman remain rookies)

Using this logic, scepticism in the depth of the draft would mean we don't elevate him.

I wouldn't be surprised if my logic is flawed but that's how I was thinking about it.
Why would we elevate him? No chance hell be ready any time soon

Not quite corect. By jumping early you get your whole body behind the ball rather than just your arms. Also bent arms are a lot stronger than straight arms. If you have seperation from your opponent, much better to go with bent arms

We must have had different coaches, unless you are a going for a mark inside 50, we were taught to stay grounded to keep your feet and/or be able to dish off hands or play on quickly.

Either way, I think we can both agree that Adamson is a fair way off senior football.

They will no doubt take it very slowly with him given he hasn't played competitive football for more than half a decade.

I think his aim should be playing consistent WAFL league in his first year, personally.

I can't be bothered looking up the info personally, but wouldn't be a bad idea to check out how long it took others who have changed sports just prior to being drafted to crack a game in the seniors.

Ricky Henderson from the Crows might be one. Craig found him at some camp for the NBL and the Crows rookied him after he played half a game of Vic country footy iirc. Not sure how many others there are who have made the late transition though.

He will be fine. He's not some guy who's never played the sport before, he was a top level junior at our sport who went to play another top level sport in America. Once he gets his fitness up and his body adapts he'll get his touch back and will impress. He's bloody quick, strong bodied and is used to a professional environment. If a Mike Pike or Karmichael Hunt can adapt without having played as much of the game as Corey, then he'll have no trouble.

Wonder if Mitch Marsh (WA cricketer & cousin of Brad Sheppard) wants a go at footy?

Apparently he was a fairly accomplished junior footballer.

The way he gets injured playing a non contact sport he'd be lucky to get 5 games a year in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back