Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Still waiting to hear how my gold reserved seat will work at Ballarat. Will be pissed if i miss out on attending the game due to small capacity.
Hope the AFL hurry up and buy etihad or build another venue closer for us to us. Melbourne show grounds would be perfect.

I don't mean to trivialise your situation, but I'm a terrible person and as a rule can't help myself. Sorry!

IMG_6904 copy.jpg

Dogs reveal ideal foes for Ballarat debut
Peter Ryan
August 31, 2016 7:00 AM

361871-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

The Western Bulldogs hope to play for premiership points at Eureka Stadium in late 2017

THE WESTERN Bulldogs hope to play either Adelaide or Greater Western Sydney in its first game for premiership points at Eureka Stadium in Ballarat.

The club will ask the AFL to schedule the game late in the 2017 season to ensure the stadium is in perfect shape for the historic encounter.

Bulldogs president Peter Gordon told AFL.com.au he hoped the five-year agreement between the club, the AFL and the state government to play games in Ballarat would turn into a 100-year commitment.

The club will play one AFL game at the stadium in 2017 and two games a season in the following years.

Gordon said anticipation was building for the game.

"That demand for the first game in particular might significantly exceed supply," Gordon said.

"If the opponent is Adelaide, for example, we would be hoping to get people driving from Adelaide and increasing the tourist return for Ballarat. We would be hoping for a strong local interest from the people in Ballarat and we would be hoping for our own supporters from Melbourne to turn up.

"That might produce a result where there is 13,000 [spectators] inside and 30,000 outside."

The Western Bulldogs have employed former player Brett Goodes in their Ballarat office and are represented on several committees relating to the upgrade of Eureka Stadium, which is renowned for having one of the best surfaces for football in the state.

Gordon said the initial redevelopment was just the beginning for what he described as an exciting venture.

"The government understands that if it works as well as we all think it will, there needs to be a phase two to the construction of the stadium," Gordon said.

"The capacity of the stadium is going to need to increase."

But until that upgrade happens, Gordon said the Bulldogs were focused on making sure their current members weren't disadvantaged in any way.

"We need to ensure in our membership offerings for next year everyone understands what they are getting," he said.

"To the extent that we may not able to accommodate every member and every reserve seat holder for the Ballarat game, we must get an adequate replacement game at Etihad Stadium," Gordon said.

He said playing an AFL game in Ballarat was a great opportunity for the Western Bulldogs.

"When you think about it, it is probably going to be one of the hottest tickets in town," Gordon said.

Ballarat is a great town, but is playing two games a year in front of 12/13k really going to help you guys become a bigger club?
Surely once your Etihad deal expires in 2024, you will play all 11 games in Melbourne.

Ballarat is a great town, but is playing two games a year in front of 12/13k really going to help you guys become a bigger club?
Surely once your Etihad deal expires in 2024, you will play all 11 games in Melbourne.

Sure, but 2024 is a long way off is it not ...?

That's an odd statement from a supporter of a club that plays FOUR home games interstate at a venue with a capacity of 20,000.

But to answer your question, we have to take responsibility for our own destiny. History has shown that the AFL tolerates us but never kisses us on the dick like it does with some of the bigger clubs (I'm not particularly thinking Hawthorn but that's open to discussion). When the Etihad contract expires can we trust the AFL to deal fairly (like it didn't last time)? I doubt it. We have to diversify and have some bargaining chips. Also Ballarat is a natural growth corridor for a western suburbs club. It will help grow our membership base there.

This is ultimately going to be better than being forced to play a game each year in FNQ where we make more from one game than we do from our entire home season at Etihad.

That's an odd statement from a supporter of a club that plays FOUR home games interstate at a venue with a capacity of 20,000.

But to answer your question, we have to take responsibility for our own destiny. History has shown that the AFL tolerates us but never kisses us on the dick like it does with some of the bigger clubs (I'm not particularly thinking Hawthorn but that's open to discussion). When the Etihad contract expires can we trust the AFL to deal fairly (like it didn't last time)? I doubt it. We have to diversify and have some bargaining chips. Also Ballarat is a natural growth corridor for a western suburbs club. It will help grow our membership base there.

This is ultimately going to be better than being forced to play a game each year in FNQ where we make more from one game than we do from our entire home season at Etihad.
Not really. About 50% of Hawk fans would like us to stop playing four games in Tas including me. Our four games there was great 15 years ago, but now holds us back from becoming a truly 'big' club. And it means only seven games per year for reserved seat holders.
I am a supporter of clubs taking games to regional areas. I reckon one per club per year would be perfect.

"That demand for the first game in particular might significantly exceed supply," Gordon said.

"If the opponent is Adelaide, for example, we would be hoping to get people driving from Adelaide and increasing the tourist return for Ballarat. We would be hoping for a strong local interest from the people in Ballarat and we would be hoping for our own supporters from Melbourne to turn up.

"That might produce a result where there is 13,000 [spectators] inside and 30,000 outside."

Am I reading this correctly? Is Gordon actually making light of the fact that capacity will be so low that thousands of supporters will be disappointed that they can't get in to see the game? Or, does he mean that these 30,000 spectators/supporters have just turned up for a nice day out in Ballarat? I'm confused.

Not really. About 50% of Hawk fans would like us to stop playing four games in Tas including me. Our four games there was great 15 years ago, but now holds us back from becoming a truly 'big' club. And it means only seven games per year for reserved seat holders.
I am a supporter of clubs taking games to regional areas. I reckon one per club per year would be perfect.
Right now our club would probably be happy if we could be where you were (developmentally) 15 years ago so the strategy is probably suitable for us. Besides we are only talking two games a year, not four and as noted it's still easily accessible from Melbourne, especially the western suburbs. The biggest problem is stadium capacity but Gordon is addressing that with his pitch for an Etihad replacement game (away) for members.

Your idea of every club playing one regional game a year is a good one but the old money (clubs) and the new money (networks and sponsors) would be indignant. Carlton, Colliingwood, Essendon and Richmond currently play all their home games at the MCG or Etihad. Hard to see it happening.

Dogs reveal ideal foes for Ballarat debut
Peter Ryan
August 31, 2016 7:00 AM

361871-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

The Western Bulldogs hope to play for premiership points at Eureka Stadium in late 2017

THE WESTERN Bulldogs hope to play either Adelaide or Greater Western Sydney in its first game for premiership points at Eureka Stadium in Ballarat.

The club will ask the AFL to schedule the game late in the 2017 season to ensure the stadium is in perfect shape for the historic encounter.

Bulldogs president Peter Gordon told AFL.com.au he hoped the five-year agreement between the club, the AFL and the state government to play games in Ballarat would turn into a 100-year commitment.

The club will play one AFL game at the stadium in 2017 and two games a season in the following years.

Gordon said anticipation was building for the game.

The Western Bulldogs have employed former player Brett Goodes in their Ballarat office and are represented on several committees relating to the upgrade of Eureka Stadium, which is renowned for having one of the best surfaces for football in the state.

Gordon said the initial redevelopment was just the beginning for what he described as an exciting venture.

"The government understands that if it works as well as we all think it will, there needs to be a phase two to the construction of the stadium," Gordon said.

"The capacity of the stadium is going to need to increase."

But until that upgrade happens, Gordon said the Bulldogs were focused on making sure their current members weren't disadvantaged in any way.

"We need to ensure in our membership offerings for next year everyone understands what they are getting," he said.

"To the extent that we may not able to accommodate every member and every reserve seat holder for the Ballarat game, we must get an adequate replacement game at Etihad Stadium," Gordon said.

He said playing an AFL game in Ballarat was a great opportunity for the Western Bulldogs.

"When you think about it, it is probably going to be one of the hottest tickets in town," Gordon said.

Well, playing GWS there means that the stadium will only be Bulldogs. I can't see the AFL signing off on GWS playing away there since they do want it to seem like GWS actually has fans.

Am I reading this correctly? Is Gordon actually making light of the fact that capacity will be so low that thousands of supporters will be disappointed that they can't get in to see the game? Or, does he mean that these 30,000 spectators/supporters have just turned up for a nice day out in Ballarat? I'm confused.
I wouldn't say he's "making light of it" but is trying to make a positive out of it ... in a perverse way. A lot of people might like to claim they were at the very first AFL H&A game at Eureka. A lot might turn up from Adelaide as well.

I think he's trying to boost value and interest through scarcity but he know he's treading a fine line because a lot of loyal paying members are going to be unhappy if there's no room for them.

We make more from selling one home game to Cairns then we do from all of our Etihad home games combined.
We don't want to just sit and do nothing for 8 years. Ballarat is an hour away from most of our supporter base so it's not the same as selling interstate games and I know many neutrals that would go to a Ballarat AFL game.
I like the initiative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say he's "making light of it" but is trying to make a positive out of it ... in a perverse way. A lot of people might like to claim they were at the very first AFL H&A game at Eureka. A lot might turn up from Adelaide as well.

I think he's trying to boost value and interest through scarcity but he know he's treading a fine line because a lot of loyal paying members are going to be unhappy if there's no room for them.
Things could become very interesting if, indeed, we do schedule a game V Adelaide at the venue and a lot of their supporters wish to make the journey. Depending on what the seating packaging will be for our own reserved seat members, the demand could create a messy scenario. The positive, as you infer is that we could then genuinely promote the match as "the hottest tickets in town". The negative is the possibility of a 'lockout'. We shall just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Umm is a hawks supporter really saying that....tassie?

The club need manage this extremely well. People want value for money with their reserve seating / membership arrangements. We already sell a game to Cairns (extending that deal too!!!) and now Ballarat. I would think Ballarat should replace the Cairns game, not keep both of them.

I used to be a full member home and away as I never missed a Melbourne game. One year there we had two interstate home games. I added up the cost of the home and away membership and it was more than paying to the gate. I wrote to the club and they said you could go to and interstate games? Now I'm a home reserved seat member who pays at the gate on away games.

Point is if they can't guarantee that we can get into the Ballarat game, then membership has to come down for people. Yet that reduces revenue and makes the Ballarat expansion unsuccessful. I would not have signed up to the deal until at least 20k capacity.

Is the ground capacity only 20,000? You would think that 30,000 would be a minimum for first up. The ground is certainly going to be filled and over-filled. The ground is so close to Western Melbourne and easy to get to.

How is the club going to fit 40,000 members and 5,000 visiting Adelaide fans and miscellaneous others into a ground with 20,000 capacity? This is going to be disappointing. Tickets and seating are going to be at a premium price and sold out. I am going to have to sacrifice be able to afford a ticket. My all grounds entry plus Social Club membership may not get me in.

What about parking? I went to the ground early in the year for the practice matches and the parking was full.

The ground capacity is outrageously too small.

It is evident that Peter Gordon knows that the capacity is too small. What plans if any has he to rectify this situation in the years to come?

I think it's only 13,000 capacity or maybe as little as 11,000, certainly not 20,000. That's Aurora.
And that's not Eureka's capacity right now, but after they've done the first stage of the upgrades.

There's a whole thread on the plans.

In fact it would be better if these two threads were merged, Mods.

Is the ground capacity only 20,000? You would think that 30,000 would be a minimum for first up. The ground is certainly going to be filled and over-filled. The ground is so close to Western Melbourne and easy to get to.

No....it is much lower. They will make money no doubt due to the demand and the premium they can put on, but I wonder at what cost to members satisfaction

Umm is a hawks supporter really saying that....tassie?
Did you read my posts? Many Hawk supporters are anti Tassie. That is the whole point - some short term cash (like we needed in 2001) but you will not like that there two less home games for most supporters.
One match would be good but I was surprised to read it will increase in 2018.
Do you think it will increase membership?
If you sell 5k memberships there and they expect 3k fan to travel, there will only be 4k left for diehards.
I just reckon the Bulldogs can do better than a freezing Ballarat match in front of 12k.

This is Paw Printing.

I can't believe that the ground will only have room for 11,000 members. You could fit 30,000 into the Western Oval in the old days. Most of us standing up to be sure. Making a ground that will fit less than 20,000 is nuts. They have to put in bigger earth terraces.

I notice that there were several gaming machines at the North Ballarat Oval, home of the Roosters, where we are going to play. I think at the moment that our gaming machines are somewhere way south of Melbourne down Rosebud way. I wonder if there are any other partnerships anywhere.

I wonder if the club is going to make a Pokey venue at the Ballarat Oval. Wonder if they will have a partnership with The Roosters. Some of their famous people are Adam Goodes and Tony Lockett.

Here are parts of a report from 2009, no mention of Ballarat.
4. In addition, the Club is involved in the management of the following venues:
a, The Spotswood/Kingsville RSL, 16 Mary Street, Spotswood, which
does not operate electronic gaming machines; and
b, The Bacchus Marsh Golf Club, Links Road, Bacchus Marsh, which
operates 30 electronic gaming machines.

7. However, importantly, the Club still truly represented its 'back-yard', namely,
the western suburbs and western region of Melbourne with the majority of its
members being located in the western suburbs and related regional area.
Despite the growth of the Australian Football League (AFL), the Club had not
and still has not, lost sight of its geographical origins.

8, Accordingly, the management team needed to undertake a number of actions
simultaneously, namely:
The Club had to significantly increase revenue across a range of areas
to stem the losses and ensure that our debt did not balloon out any
further.
To further represent the Club's diverse geographic spread over the
western region, a strategy was established for the Club to "Paw Print
the West". A key plank of this strategy was to increase the presence of
the Club's Social venues within the western suburbs and to aim to have
social venue representation in the key municipalities of Maribymong,
Hobson's Bay, Wyndham, Brimbank and Melton,;
The Club needed to significantly improve the productivity of its
operations to ensure both increased revenue and increased profits so
as to provide additional funding to improve our football operations and
to therefore become more competitive;

Three (3) major events had occurred
a. Firstly, the Club had been the recipient of one of the first Club gaming
licences back in early 1992 at Whitten Oval with the provision of 105
gaming machines from Tabcorp The Whitten Oval facility had
undergone a number of renovations since that time which mostly
related to improving football facilities and catering for increasing staff
numbers in line with the growing football industry. Very little had been
spent on the actual social venue itself. This was particularly so since
September 1997 when Whitten Oval ceased to operate as a VFL / AFL
match day venue,

The social club facility offered a gaming lounge, members bar and a
bistro,

Tabcorp had slowly removed gaming machines from the venue -
probably in line with the diminishing returns from the social club - and
in 2003, a decision was made by Tabcorp to remove a further seven
(7) machines so as to reduce the total number of machine from 62 to
55. In return for removing these machines, Tabcorp assisted with a
_make-over' of the facility, including the gaming room, As a
consequence of this "make-over", patronage returned and total social
club revenue temporarily improved

The turnover from food, beverage and gaming derived from the Whitten
Oval venue again approached $2,300,000 (a level not previously
attained since 2000 and 2001), However, by 2004 / 05, net profit from
the Whitten Oval social club had fallen again to approximately
$700,000 per annum.

b. Secondly, in 1995, the Club, in conjunction with the Hoppers Crossing
Sports Club Inc, became involved in the operation of the Hoppers
Crossing Sports Club at Hogans Reserve, Hoppers Crossing. Whilst

Some other stuff
Provisional funding for stadium redevelopment was obtained during the 2014 State Election Campaign. In June 2015 the newly elected Victorian government reaffirmed their election commitment to fund a $31.5 million upgrade to the stadium and the wider Ballarat Major Events Precinct (with approximately half of this funding to be directed to the first stage of a planned three stage development).

The Ballarat Major Events Precinct Master Plan (Released in June 2015), detailed the development of the stadium over three stages. Concept designs for the first stage were announced on 18th November 2015 that included a new grandstand and covered terraced seating for over 5000 spectators flanking approximately half the oval and temporary construction of a 4000 capacity spectator earth terrace to increase capacity of the ground to 11,000. Other first stage development works were to include re-alignment of the main oval and reducing its dimensions to replicate Melbourne's Etihad Stadium, installation of four 300 lux (VFL Football grade) light towers, and installation of a video scoreboard. In addition, the North Ballarat Number Two Oval was to be rebuilt to the same playing standard and conditions as the main oval with the main oval's original (200 lux) light towers of the Eureka Stadium relocated to the second oval.

The only club we should play here is GWS.
We want every available ticket for Western Bulldogs members.
Playing Crows or Port would be a very stupid decision, they are the clubs that would have supporters prepared to travel.
We don't need away supporters travelling for this stadium.

I really can't understand how this has gone ahead with a capacity of 11,000.

The only club we should play here is GWS.
We want every available ticket for Western Bulldogs members.
Playing Crows or Port would be a very stupid decision, they are the clubs that would have supporters prepared to travel.
We don't need away supporters travelling for this stadium.

I really can't understand how this has gone ahead with a capacity of 11,000.

From memory I don't think it is anywhere near train station either so logistically it will be fairly difficult to get to the game anyway I would suspect. I wouldn't expect that they would have enough parking for all the Bulldogs supporters coming up from Melbourne

i think its great for the doggies to expand their brand to other areas, but one minor thing that bugs me a little is that we are going to play one game in cairns and two in ballarat in 2018. This takes away three games from etihad were we play our best footy. I know that we make more money from these games and that we should be able to adapt to all grounds, but i just think its robbing us from putting the team in the best position come september

Remove this Banner Ad

Back