PC2011/12RP "We've Got The Power to Win" - Port Adelaide

Which top line midfielder should Port recruit in the off season?

• Patrick Dangerfield

• Bryce Gibbs

• Steele Sidebottom

• Jobe Watson

• Nathan Fyfe

• Joel Selwood

• Gary Ablett

• Sam Mitchell

• Brett Deledio

• Kieran Jack

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

No they're not. They can't seem to get any flow going and seem to have no attacking options up forward despite having Ryder, Schultz, Westhoff, Monfries and Wingard in the attacking 50.

Am going to target another top midfielder (Murphy, Beams) and another key defender in the trade period

ROUND 15 vs ST KILDA SAINTS!

Round 15 sees Port Adelaide take on St Kilda at the Adelaide Oval.
Port Adelaide have made two changes with Mason Shaw and Jake Neade coming in for Jay Schulz and Tom Jonas (both injured).
St Kilda are without midfielders Jack Steven and Leigh Montagna and Billy Longer and Jimmy Webster

Lets have a look at the teams!

Port Adelaide:
B: Karl Amon - Alipate Carlile - Jack Hombsch
HB: Matthew Broadbent - Jackson Trengove - Hamish Hartlett
C: Robbie Gray - Kane Cornes - Brad Ebert
HF: Brendon Ah Chee - Justin Westhoff - Chad Wingard
F: Jake Neade - Patrick Ryder - Angus Monfries
FOL: Matthew Lobbe - Travis Boak - Ollie Wines

I/C: Mason Shaw - Jared Polec - Matt White
SUB: Kane Mitchell

St Kilda Saints:
B:
Sean Dempster - Sam Gilbert - Luke Delaney
HB: Dylan Roberton - Sam Fisher - Jarryn Geary
C: Adam Schneider - David Armitage - Seb Ross
HF: Blake Acres - Nick Riewoldt - Ahmed Saad
F: Lewis Pierce - Patrick McCartin - Farren Ray
FOL: Tom Hickey - Luke Dunstan - Jack Billings

I/C:
Cam Shenton - Jack Newnes - Arryn Siposs
SUB: Shane Savage

INEXPERIENCED SAINTS TOPPLE POWER, POSES QUESTION WHERE TO NOW FOR THE POWER!

A St Kilda side without Jack Steven and Leigh Montagna have defeated Port Adelaide 15.19.109 to 12.10.82 in front of 29,989 at the Adelaide Oval.
Half back Jarryn Geary led all comers with 33 touches and laying 5 tackles. Adam Schneider, Ahmed Saad and Nick Riewoldt were also prolific in the win. Second gamer Lewis Pierce kicked 4 goals while also rucking against Lobbe and Ryder getting 5 hitouts. Ahmed Saad kicked 3.2, while skipper Nick Riewoldt kicked 2.5. St Kilda had 9 goal kickers, showing the spread and ease they played with against a hopeless Power.
For Port Adelaide, it was yet again midfielder Brad Ebert getting 27 touches and 10 inside 50s, to be the Power's best player. Robbie Gray got his highest disposal tally for the year with 22 touches, while Karl Amon, Jackson Trengove and Kane Cornes all got 20+ touches. Key forward Justin Westhoff kicked 3 goals, while young forward Brendon Ah Chee kicked 2 goals. Ruck duo Matthew Lobbe and Patrick Ryder won the hitouts 38-20, which led to a 30-16 in the clearances, but the St Kilda backline was stopping almost everything that came in.

Here are some of Power coach Ken Hinkley's comments.
"I don't have much to say about that game, because I think I have told you guys everything in the other 14 losses about what we've done wrong and need to work on. We had 55 inside 50s and to kick 12 goals is woeful. Congratulations to the St Kilda backline, they just kept stopping what chances we had."
"Brad Ebert has been magnificent all year and the performances that he puts out week to week are what we expect from him now, he has taken his game to another level this year. I think 5 times this year he has had under 20 touches, so he has been very consistent."
"We have the bye next week, so we will take this week off to relax and prepare ourselves for the game against West Coast in two weeks. We will change our structure and a few positional changes but nothing too major."

4ea89d8202d33d7edbd2f574f43a29eb.png

ROUND 17 vs WEST COAST EAGLES!

Round 17 sees West Coast host the struggling Power on Sunday.
Port Adelaide has made 4 changes to their side with Mason Shaw, Karl Amon, Jake Neade and Jared Polec all omitted.
John Butcher, Jasper Pittard, Cam O'Shea and Tom Jonas will all come in.

Lets have a look at the teams

Port Adelaide:
B: Matthew Broadbent - Alipate Carlile - Jack Hombsch
HB: Cam O'Shea - Patrick Ryder - Jasper Pittard
C: Robbie Gray - Kane Cornes - Brad Ebert
HF: Matt White - John Butcher - Chad Wingard
F: Matthew Lobbe - Justin Westhoff - Angus Monfries
FOL: Jackson Trengove - Travis Boak - Ollie Wines

I/C: Hamish Hartlett - Tom Jonas - Kane Mitchell
SUB: Brendon Ah Chee

West Coast Eagles:
B:
Beau Waters - Will Schofield - Mitch Brown
HB: Liam Duggan - Eric Mackenzie - Shannon Hurn
C: Andrew Gaff - Matt Priddis - Chris Masten
HF: Josh Hill - Josh Kennedy - Mark LeCras
F: Scott Lycett - Jack Darling - Luke Shuey
FOL: Nic Naitanui - Sharrod Wellingham - Matt Rosa

I/C:
Scott Selwood - Sam Butler - Jamie Cripps
SUB: Brad Sheppard

Key forward a late withdrawal!

Angus Monfries has withdrawn from the selected side.
Jake Neade will be his replacement.

PORT ADELAIDE WOEFUL AS WEST COAST ROMP HOME AN 11 GOAL WIN!

West Coast has defeated Port Adelaide by 11 goals at Domain Stadium to win their 8th of the year.
Forward Mark LeCras was best on ground with 40 touches, 23 marks 18 inside 50s and 3 goals. Jack Darling and Scott Lycett kicked 6 goals each, while Andrew Gaff, Shannon Hurn, Will Schofield, Beau Waters, Chris Masten and Liam Duggan all got over 20 touches.
For Port Adelaide, the year has gone from worse to rock bottom, with star midfielder Brad Ebert breaking his jaw and out for about 3-4 weeks. Veteran midfielder Kane Cornes finished with 30 touches, 10 marks 4 tackles and a goal to be the Power's best player. Patrick Ryder was thrown into defence this week and finished with 27 touches and 7 rebounds. He also kept Josh Kennedy to 6 touches and a goal. Chad Wingard relished his new role from half back to finish with 22 touches and 8 marks. West Coast have the bye next week, while Port Adelaide has to travel to Sydney to take on the Swans.

Here are some of Ken Hinkley's comments after the game.
"We were beaten all ends up. For LeCras to have 40 touches is not on and those blokes know it. Hopefully next week we can turn it around after what will be a brutal week on the track."
"Paddy played brilliantly in defence this week. He was our best defender this week and he will play there again next week. Hopefully, our other big blokes can look at Paddy's performance today and replicate that next week."
"Brad's injury isn't too serious, it is a minor fracture of the jaw. Should be back within a month."
"Chad liked his role off half back this week, when I told him that he would be used as an attacking option off half back, he was thrilled and he delivered. It does mean that we lose a goal kicking option, but I was hoping we are able to cover that."
"Gus injured his back in the Friday training session and should miss 3 weeks."

4899091fd48ef421e33b4614488ea6d5.png

ROUND 18 vs SYDNEY SWANS!

Round 18 sees Sydney take on Port Adelaide at the SCG on Saturday.
Sydney will be without Craig Bird and Alex Johnson, while Port Adelaide are missing leading goal kicker Angus Monfries, star midfielder Brad Ebert and John Butcher.
Andrew Moore, Mason Shaw and Mitch Harvey will come into the side.

Lets have a look at the teams.

Port Adelaide:
B: Matthew Broadbent - Alipate Carlile - Jack Hombsch
HB: Cam O'Shea - Patrick Ryder - Jasper Pittard
C: Robbie Gray - Kane Cornes - Mason Shaw
HF: Matt White - Mitch Harvey - Chad Wingard
F: Matthew Lobbe - Justin Westhoff - Brendon Ah Chee

I/C: Hamish Hartlett - Andrew Moore - Kane Mitchell
SUB: Tom Jonas

Sydney Swans:
B:
Nick Smith - Ted Richards - Xavier Richards
HB: Alex Brown - Heath Grundy - Rhyce Shaw
C: Gary Rohan - Josh Kennedy - Luke Parker
HF: Adam Goodes - Lance Franklin - Lewis Jetta
F: Tom Derickx - Kurt Tippett - Daniel Hannebery
FOL: Mike Pyke - Jarrad McVeigh - Kieran Jack

I/C:
Ben McGlynn - Tom Mitchell - James Rose
SUB: Isaac Heeney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Late withdrawal for the Power!
Young forward Mitch Harvey is a late withdrawal from the side.
Jared Polec is his replacement

SWANS BURN THE POWER TO WIN BY 10 GOALS!

A fiery Sydney Swans side were relentless, piling on 10 goals in each half to win by 61 points, in front of 33,608 at the SCG.
The Swans kicked 5.4 to 0.1 in the last quarter, with Kurt Tippett kicking 7 goals and Lewis Jetta kicking 6. Ben McGlynn got 33 touches, Jetta 30 and Alex Brown 23. Josh Kennedy laid a game high 8 tackles, while Jarrad McVeigh had 16 touches and all were contested. The Swans doubled the Power's tackle count to highlight their attack without the ball. For Port Adelaide, full back Alipate Carlile got 30 touches, but they didn't mean much as Tippett kicked 7 on him. Half backs Cam O'Shea and Matthew Broadbent got 23 touches, while Jared Polec, Jasper Pittard and Robbie Gray got 20+ touches. Defender Jackson Trengove proved the surprise packet up forward, kicking 4 goals. Justin Westhoff and Brendon Ah Chee kicked 2 each.

Here are some of Ken Hinkley's comments
"Sydney's attack of the ball, both with and without, was second to none. To lay 64 tackles to our 32 was exceptional. Our boys were pathetic in that area, i think our highest individual tackle count was 4, so it was pathetic."
"We really missed Brad and Jay this week, but Jackson was able to step up and kick 4 so that was good and very surprising. No one was able to step up in Brad's absence, which was really disappointing."
"There may be a few changes, but don't expect any big changes."

1a3b86bd52deb113cb966486944261bc.png

ROUND 19 vs WESTERN BULLDOGS!

The Power will face the Western Bulldogs in round 19.
The Bulldogs will be without key midfielder Tom Liberatore.
Port Adelaide will welcome back Jay Schulz and Jarman Impey, who will come in for Mitch Harvey and Hamish Hartlett.

Port Adelaide:
B: Matthew Broadbent - Alipate Carlile - Jackson Trengove
HB: Cam O'Shea - Jack Hombsch - Jasper Pittard
HF: Matt White - Jay Schulz - Chad Wingard

I/C: Tom Jonas - Andrew Moore - Kane Mitchell
SUB: Jarman Impey

Western Bulldogs:
B:
Matthew Fuller - Jordan Roughead - Joel Hamling
HB: Lukas Webb - Dale Morris - Easton Wood
C: Josh Prudden - Matthew Boyd - Jack Macrae
HF: Lachie Hunter - Stewart Crameri - Tory Dickson
F: Ayce Cordy - Tom Boyd - Robert Murphy
FOL: Will Minson - Jake Stringer - Luke Dahlhaus

I/C:
Liam Picken - Marcus Bontempelli - Bailey Dale
SUB: Clay Smith

POWER LIFT TO WIN THEIR SECOND OF YEAR AGAINST THE DOGS!

Port Adelaide has won their second game of the year against the Western Bulldogs, in front of 26,913 at the Adelaide Oval.
Chad Wingard was the star, winning 34 touches, 5 marks, 1 goal, 11 contested possessions and 13 insides 50s for the Power. Matthew Broadbent was ever so reliable down back, with 28 touches and 5 spoils, while ruckman Patrick Ryder got 22 touches, 15 hitouts, 7 tackles and kicked 2 goals. Young forward Brendon Ah Chee kicked 5 goals in the stunning win.
For the Bulldogs, young defender Joel Hamling won 31 touches, while Jake Stringer and Lukas Webb got 28 and 27 touches respectively. Young key forward Tom Boyd kicked 3 goals for the Bulldogs, while Will Minson and Robert Murphy kicked 2 each.

"I thought our boys played their first 4 quarter game this week. It was really pleasing. Our defenders were magnificent today, not letting anything in. Winning the contested ball was really important and went a long way to us winning this week."
"Chad Wingard was fantastic today. We can't ask anymore of him, hopefully in a couple of seasons he will be able to become more consistent and be able to play those games more often."
"Hopefully, next week we are able to replicate this performance and win 2 in a row."
"Jake Neade and Hamish Hartlett played well in the SANFL, with 21 touches and 6 goals for Neadey and Hamish getting 27 and kicking 1. It will be hard for Neadey to come back into the side after Brendon kicked 5."

dab9a6cc052b00f32e090fd694ad02a5.png

Do you sim your matches or do you coach them? If you are coaching what tactics or strategies are you using during the games?
I coach them and the tactics i use are my three small forwards as crumbing forwards, short options, just towards kick, slow tempo and 50% flooding

ROUND 20 vs MELBOURNE DEMONS!

Port Adelaide will be out for revenge against Melbourne in round 20 after they lost by 1 point in their clash earlier this year.
Melbourne will be without key midfielder Bernie Vince and half forward Jack Watts.
Port Adelaide will make one change with Hamish Hartlett coming in for Jarman Impey.

Lets have a look at the teams!

Port Adelaide:

I/C: Tom Jonas - Hamish Hartlett - Kane Mitchell
SUB: Andrew Moore

Melbourne Demons:
B:
Heritier Lumumba - Lynden Dunn - Tom McDonald
HB: Matt Jones - Colin Garland - Dean Terlich
C: Jimmy Toumpas - Nathan Jones - Jack Viney
HF: Jay Kennedy-Harris - Chris Dawes - Jeff Garlett
F: Max Gawn - Jeremy Howe - Jack Grimes
FOL: Mark Jamar - Jack Trengove - Daniel Cross

I/C:
Jordie McKenzie - Christian Petracca - Dom Tyson
SUB: Rohan Bail

PORT WIN TWO IN A ROW AGAINST INACCURATE MELBOURNE!

Port Adelaide has won its 3rd game for the season, and its second in a row, against an inaccurate Melbourne side, in front of 34,340 at the MCG.
Young forward-turn-midfielder Mason Shaw collected a career high 37 touches (36 kicks) and 27 marks in the win. He also had 13 inside 50s. Jackson Trengove, who played as the loose man in the last quarter, finished with 27 touches, 3 spoils and a whopping 19 rebounds! Jasper Pittard, Alipate Carlile and Matt White all had over 20 touches. Jack Hombsch kept Chris Dawes to 1 goal and 11 disposals, while Carlile kept Jeremy Howe to 2 goals and 4 touches. Young forward Brendon Ah Chee kicked 4 goals, while twin towers Jay Schulz and Justin Westhoff kicked 2 each.
For Melbourne, full back Lynden Dunn had 24 touches along with Heritier Lumumba. Jimmy Toumpas, Matt Jones, Nathan Jones, Jack Grimes, Colin Garland and Jeff Garlett all finished with over 20 touches. Mark Jamar was too strong in the ruck for Matt Lobbe and Paddy Ryder, finishing with 22 hitouts to Ryder and Lobbe's 8.

"I thought our boys played spectacularly. A lot of our blokes are really starting to gel and becoming use to playing with one another. Mason Shaw was exceptional today. He played out of his skin. So did Brendon for a second week in a row."
"I thought our defensive pressure was a real highlight of today's game, we had 46 rebounds to their 22, so it shows that we were able to stop most of Melbourne's attacking plays. Jackson Trengove had 19 rebounds, as he was playing as the loose man which is a role he really enjoyed. This is also highlighted by Carlile's 21 spoils."
"Hopefully Brad and Gus will be back next week, nothing is certain because at this moment, it is very hard to get into this team, especially with Mason and Ah Chee performing."

7467dd6d7c746b5e16ff2d86d89d24b1.png

ROUND 21 vs COLLINGWOOD MAGPIES!

Round 21 sees Port Adelaide take on Collingwood in the friday night game.
Collingwood will be without big, hulking key forward Travis Cloke, tagger Brent Macaffer and key defender Lachie Keeffe.
Port Adelaide are unlikely to make any changes to their side after the win over Melbourne.

Port Adelaide:

I/C: Tom Jonas - Hamish Hartlett - Kane Mitchell
SUB: Andrew Moore

Collingwood Magpies:
B:
Tom Langdon - Nathan Brown - Darcy Moore
HB: Jackson Ramsay - Ben Reid - Alan Toovey
C: Taylor Adams - Scott Pendlebury - Clinton Young
HF: Alex Fasolo - Jesse White - Jamie Elliott
F: Brodie Grundy - Tyson Goldsack - Travis Varcoe
FOL: Jarrod Witts - Dane Swan - Steele Sidebottom

I/C:
Levi Greenwood - Matt Scharenberg - Nathan Freeman
SUB: Jack Crisp

PORT ADELAIDE WIN 3 IN A ROW WITH A UPSET WIN OVER THE PIES!

Port Adelaide has won its 3rd in a row and has moved off the bottom of the ladder with a 11 point win over Collingwood.
Forwards Brendon Ah Chee and Jay Schulz kicked 5 goals each in the win, while Jackson Trengove has continued his good form with 28 touches and 16 rebounds. Alipate Carlile and Cam O'Shea finished with 25 and 24 touches respectively, while Chad Wingard and Mason Shaw got over 20 touches. Matthew Lobbe dominated in the ruck against Jarrod Witts, finishing with 26 hitouts to Witts' 20, which lead to a +15 in the clearances to Port.
For Collingwood, half forwards Alex Fasolo and Jamie Elliott collected 31 touches each and kicked 4 goals between them. Adam Toovey and Taylor Adams got 27 touches each. Adams was dominant in the first half, having got 19 touches in the first half, before Port sent Kane Cornes to him to curb his influence. Make shift key forward Tyson Goldsack kicked 4 goals in Cloke's absence and almost won the game for the Pies before some good pressure from Port Adelaide and a couple of late goals took the game out of Collingwood's reach.

"Our boys had the composure and poise to respond to Collingwood's late charge, it was really pleasing from our perspective to see that we were able to do that."
"Brendon is something special, isn't he? Absolutely fantastic in the past 3 weeks and charging towards our leading goal kicking award, despite having only played 10 games. We are hoping he, Monfries and Wingard are able to form a formidable trio in the forward half."
"There might be a couple of changes this week, just to get back some big names like Ebert and Monfries. Jared Polec is a chance depending on how he plays this week in the SANFL."
"Lobbe and Ryder's chemistry is becoming really good. They are able to read each other's movements and coordinate between them who will take the ruck duties without any input from the coaches. It is really pleasing."

cf6c83d2ae946b0b2919a29a9561e325.png

Back