Politics & Government What changes would you make to your city?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh and a smart card system that actually works, say modeled on PASMO.

Reliable, no overcharging and you can simply tag on as it reads through a thick wallet. Myki is such a scam, I am so suspicious of the chronic overcharging. It needs a complete overhaul, or we have to, I mean absolutely have to, bring back temporary ticketing to go along with Myki.
Myki is an absolute joke of a system. I am so glad I now live out in the 'country' and use V/Line tickets. My mains gripes with Myki are:
1) If I wanted to get from Melton to Reservoir and back it was cost me near 20+ dollars on a full fare. That is around 8 dollars more expensive than getting an all day ticket using the old metcard system, and that is excluding travel on trams and buses. 8 dollars doesn't sound like much but if you have to catch multiple trains and other forms of public transport everyday, it kills you, and I am a Uni student so I don't have a whole lot of money to begin with haha.

2) Nobody I knew really wanted a smartcard system, most that I knew were perfectly content with metcards.

3) There is no real temporary ticketing. This is a pain for anybody from interstate or overseas visiting Melbourne. I have a friend from England who would like to visit me, and it would be cheaper to have just gotten a weekly metcard than to buy a myki for 6 dollars and spending 10-20 dollars just to catch two trains. Apparently there is temporary ticketing, but I am not sure, and that is the issue, normal people do not know whether or not there is! At least gives tourists the courtesy of giving them a free 'temporary' myki for the duration of their trip.

4) It has done absolutely nothing to stop fare evasion. In fact (on V/line services anyway) it is easier to do so with Myki than it was with Metcard/is with V/line tickets.

1) If I wanted to get from Melton to Reservoir and back it was cost me near 20+ dollars on a full fare. That is around 8 dollars more expensive than getting an all day ticket using the old metcard system, and that is excluding travel on trams and buses. 8 dollars doesn't sound like much but if you have to catch multiple trains and other forms of public transport everyday, it kills you, and I am a Uni student so I don't have a whole lot of money to begin with haha.
It caps out at $11.84 for a full fare daily. And just under $6 for concession. It works out slightly less expensive then metcards, its really not that bad of a system. Prefer the metcards but overall it isn't that bad, the fact that it cost them so much to put into place seems to make people judge it harshly.

I live in Thornbury and have access to two tram lines and a train line. I work in Carlton which is not far from thornbury but it takes me over an hour to get there via PT. There's no agility in our transport routes, meaning, if you want to go to a suburb that isn't on your train line then you have to go into town and out again. It would be fantastic if we had something like the 'Tube' in London. I don't know why we didn't originally build something like that when melbourne was first settled given that there were examples of it working well in other big cities.

I agree 100% but this statement is ridiculous. Assuming that the two tram lines are the 86 and 112 and the train line is South Morang there are three ways in which you can get to Carlton well within an hour. One, you can train it to Parliament, on the door of carlton, should be no more than 10 minutes walk to lygon street. Two, tram 86 to corner of Nicholson and Gertrude, 5 minutes walk from lygon street. Three, tram down st Georges road to corner of brunswick and smith, catch bus up to corner of lygon street and elgin. In a worst case scenario in which you have to wait 15 minutes for a ride, you should still get to lygon within 40 minutes. Went on a rant, but admit it Nicky, you've exaggerated. #Detective Flethisgun #sickdog1er

Get the F3 to M7 link started ( at least )
Imagine being a truckie needing to traverse sydneys roads :eek:

As a truckie mate of mine famously said once - " ya know the BEST thing about Sydney ??.......*en LEAVING it " :D

Also , destroy Parramatta " road "

I don't mind Myki, being a uni student and getting the train in to the city 3-4 times a week it's a lot easier chucking 50 bucks on my card and not having to worry about buying a ticket all the time.

But it was totally unnecessary to implement - does anyone know how much it cost?

I agree 100% but this statement is ridiculous. Assuming that the two tram lines are the 86 and 112 and the train line is South Morang there are three ways in which you can get to Carlton well within an hour. One, you can train it to Parliament, on the door of carlton, should be no more than 10 minutes walk to lygon street. Two, tram 86 to corner of Nicholson and Gertrude, 5 minutes walk from lygon street. Three, tram down st Georges road to corner of brunswick and smith, catch bus up to corner of lygon street and elgin. In a worst case scenario in which you have to wait 15 minutes for a ride, you should still get to lygon within 40 minutes. Went on a rant, but admit it Nicky, you've exaggerated. #Detective Flethisgun #sickdog1er

haHA!

No i haven't at all. Melb Central is closer to my work than Parliament which is a good thing anyway as my train goes to flinders first then around the loop. If i catch the 8.42 train from Thornbury then i will get to work at 9.30, i'd leave my place at 8.37, ok so i've exaggerated by 7 minutes. I think you should forgive me :)

The trams, well all i can say is that you're waaaaay off. There is no way the trams would get me to where i need to go within an hour, no chance. They're stuck in peak hour traffic and take forever.

So last night i met my parents for dinner in clifton hill. We said goodbye at about 10.30. Of course we get to the station and their train is there. The next train is a south morang and is due in 10 minutes. As the time passes over the time my train was supposed to arrive, without any announcment the next train is displayed as being an Eltham train. My train was cancelled without an announcement. I pressed that green button to find out the next train and it wasn't coming for another 18 minutes. So i decided to catch the tram. The next tram was due at 11pm. So i decided to wait the 11 minutes.

By 11.09, no tram had arrived so i waved down a cab.

In 40 minutes i waited to get home 2 modes of transport failed to arrive at all. Our transport isn't good enough.

And myki.... We should have the ability to top up on trams and more options should be available to tourists and short term guests.

It would be fantastic if we had something like the 'Tube' in London. I don't know why we didn't originally build something like that when melbourne was first settled given that there were examples of it working well in other big cities.

London was already home to shitloads of people in a small area (by Australian standards) when they built it so it had to be underground. And no cars for folk back then either.

And Melbourne was founded 30 years before that.

haHA!

No i haven't at all. Melb Central is closer to my work than Parliament which is a good thing anyway as my train goes to flinders first then around the loop. If i catch the 8.42 train from Thornbury then i will get to work at 9.30, i'd leave my place at 8.37, ok so i've exaggerated by 7 minutes. I think you should forgive me :).

8.42 Thornbury
13 stops later
9.13 Melbourne Central

Maybe you should walk faster, or move house/job.:)

250px-SimCity_2013_Limited_Edition_cover.png

8.42 Thornbury
13 stops later
9.13 Melbourne Central

Maybe you should walk faster, or move house/job.:)

It never gets to Melbourne Central by 9.13 and you don't know where i work let alone where it is in relation to melbourne central.

Most of the time i ride my bike anyway, the PT is just terrible.

Compare that to SmartRider, which apparently cost $35 million.

Even given Melbourne has a larger network, that is an absurd cost.
Yep. Couldn't use one of the dozens (plus) of existing smartcard systems, we had to reinvent the wheel :rolleyes:

*Should add that I've never actually used myki, just going on comments from others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most annoying thing about myki is that i dont get any price breaks for using it heaps
Like a monthly metcard would work out a lot cheaper.

I like living where I do, except I'd like to see a bridge/tunnel system built from NE Tas through the Furneaux Group to Wilson's Promontory, so I can drive overnight to Melbourne on a whim should I choose to go to footy/cricket/music

The most annoying thing about myki is that i dont get any price breaks for using it heaps
Like a monthly metcard would work out a lot cheaper.
Buy a 365 day Myki or however many days you want. Price upfront is a bit hefty but works out to like $2.35 a day. Full fare, not sure if you can do that concession and if so what the price is.

ANZAC Highway man, and then you end up in Glenelg at the end of it, no thanks.
The only inhabitable suburbs in Adelaide are within 5 kms of the city anyway, so traffic is never really much of an issue.
You don't know the half of it....i had to take ANZAC all the way to MORPHETT ROAD :eek: :eek:

Still didn't take me as long as it takes me to go to Woolies up here though o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back