What has the Abbot government achieved

Remove this Banner Ad

Not in Africa. There is a huge wealth of evidence to suggest foreign aid does bugger all to reduce poverty. Free trade (which NGO's tend to hate) tends to be far better. I think its a big call to say that our aid to Indonesia for example gives us a lot of influence over them. PNG another example: all the money we have spent there and how good is governance?

Whilst some projects have merit (IIRC Australia paid for a bridge in Vietnam that was supposedly very worthwhile) a huge amount will always be wasted.

In any event how does us giving money to Oxfam assist Australia in gaining influence etc?

How else could we have gotten access to Manus? Agree with you on governance though.

It's wonderful isn't it.

The worry is these idiots who protest and moan all the time who empower Governments to make stupid news laws.

How do we create a society that craves for less government?
It involves deaths, weapons and gaol time....
Aussies can't be bothered so they just put their disgust in the old memory bank and then vote the **********s out next election.
Rinse and repeat.....

The best thing about Abbott as PM is that I've barely seen him, unlike his predecessor.
Luckily he shies away from scrutiny like many reptiles.;)

I don't think anything with Union involvement is representative of the wider populations views.

If you want a number i'll say 100,000 plus in each of the major cities would suggest a strong ground swell.

So the anti-Abbott campaign worked so well in S.A they lost 3 seats to the Liberals. Sorry, I don't buy the Abbott factor when they've actually taken seats off Labor.

Labor and the Greens got smashed in Tasmania. The Anti-Abbott factor is a myth imo.
I don't buy into the federal/state influence. They're two completely different governments. I'm more concerened with the national liberal policies than the state ones. Having said that, I do know swinging voters who are influenced in state elections by federal governments.

Will achieve 1 term minister. Bookmark it.

Then the party will be governed by Pyne and Hockey....****!!!!

You're probably right but I feel Turnbull will be well placed to take over.

So the next election will be Turnbull vs ?

Pyne would be suicidal. Yet to meet anyone who likes him.

Turnbull will get the leadership when Abbott is well and truly hated (late 2015).
Turnbull is too left for the libs. Labor supporters actually like him believe it or not. when I had facebook, I kept up to date on his page.

Its a bloody good thing that the Greens hold a major balance of power in the senate, otherwise Abbott would destroy the environment. He already denies climate change.

Turnbull is too left for the libs. Labor supporters actually like him believe it or not. when I had facebook, I kept up to date on his page.

Its a bloody good thing that the Greens hold a major balance of power in the senate, otherwise Abbott would destroy the environment. He already denies climate change.

I would suggest he is the only person who could "save the furniture" come 2016, although I may just be optimistic. ;)

Abbott - Unpopular LOTO, already unpopular as PM.
Hockey - Blood on his hands surrounding Holden/SPC/QANTAS
Bishop - Would perhaps win a few female voters, but otherwise no.
Pyne - Comes across as condescending, would not sell the Coalition well.
Dutton - lol
Morrison - Has neutralised the boat issue, some might take issue with his secrecy.
Turnbull - Well liked, would win swing voters.

Of course it could be someone who seems completely unrealistic now. Had someone, following the '07 election, told you Abbott would lead by the next election, you'd have a chuckle. If they told you he'd become PM, you'd have laughed them out of the room.

It all depends on how dire things get. Anything more than a consistent 54-46 to Labor within a year of the election would see Abbott booted. When MPs have their seats under threat they're wiling to abandon ideology in favour of their jobs.

A lot of this is speculation though and there may be issues arise within the next year or two that make of break those above.

And a bit of trivia to exclude Pyne, Bishop and Dutton - for all bar 8 months, the Liberals have been lead by a NSW MP since John Hewson took over in April 1990.

That can be contrasted with having Victorian MPs as leader for all bar 20 months from the party's inception to 1985.

Shorten and Abbott, then someone will boot abbott, or he'll step down. I think Labor learnt from the past in the Gillard/Rudd shitfest.

I can almost guarantee Shorten won't see out to the next election. The wheels within Labor are already turning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure who to take it up to him, Albanese may not influence enough voters.

I don't know who will step up but there is a big push within Labor to move away from some recent traits. Let's wait and see, as 2 years is a long time in politics

Can you tell us what's happening?

The current focus is on culture, internal influences, breaking down barriers between the factions, corruption and relevance of the party. Quite a few factions are jostling for power but I feel this will be resolved at a later date.

I don't think its unique to Labor but political parties are full of freaks (religious nuts, communists and just the straight out weird). That said, there are many really good people within the party and it is these types we are trying to encourage.

How else could we have gotten access to Manus? Agree with you on governance though.
We pay PNG to take, what some consider to be, our garbage out.
If the practice continues, another government, Australian but not Abbott's, will have to foot the bill to resettle these people one way or another, either here, where they should have been resettled in the first place or at even greater expense by proxy in another 3rd world country like PNG willing to trade lives for income.
I don't see how Abbott spending our money to buy himself an immoral political victory by sending asylum seekers to uncertain futures in economically nonviable countries is any different than people smuggling.
He is paying to have someone else hide and ignore the problem for purely selfish political gain.

The man has the morals of a Catholic priest.

Quoted for accuracy...

Howard did his job well. That's why he's the second longest serving PM in our history.

Your accuracy metre seems to need a retune.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back