What role do you hope Danger plays next season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely will do different things throughout a game.

That said, I'd prefer the majority of his time to be as an outside mid at stoppages and the like.

The thinking I have is that we'll have the crouches, Thommo, lyons, Sloane in the middle. An outside mid still has a shitload of contested ball to win, it's just that it's a bit clearer than having 5 guys to work through. So Danger is perfect for this - hell, he usually wins a contest against 2 blokes. So, as an outside mid, he'll be unstoppable. Anything loose is his. Once it's his, good luck stopping him running away with it. It will be bloody hard to catch him or stop him. It will be amazing. I think the role plays to his strengths more.

And of course depending on midfield rotations he'll get bursts right in the thick of it, no problem. And rests in the forward line. Again no problem.

Would love to see him and sloane both spend time inside mid but also off half back, other inside mids thompson (m crouch thommo relief) and brad crouch . Would love Smithers /McKay /Henderson on the wings and McGovern also a smoky for wing/half forward depending on development

We should take note of how Richmond used Martin last year and successfully isolated him up forward on a number of occasions and he kicked the match-winner on a few occasions IIRC (including one I would rather forget).

I called for this to happen in so many games, and of the 20%of the times that it actually did happen (thanks Sando), Danger beat his opponent and kicked the goal. More of this please.

I'd like to see him learn some evasive skills, as that is one facet of his game that is lacking. He can't use his pace to advantage all the while he keeps running headlong into the tackler. I don't think I've ever seen Danger feint around someone or spin out of trouble like McLeod, Gray and Pendlebury can. Even Tex seems to be able the time/space to be able to use the ball to advantage.

In terms of role, he should rotate with Kerridge/Lyons in the forward line when he is not playing on the ball.

I'd like to see him learn some evasive skills, as that is one facet of his game that is lacking. He can't use his pace to advantage all the while he keeps running headlong into the tackler. I don't think I've ever seen Danger feint around someone or spin out of trouble like McLeod, Gray and Pendlebury can. Even Tex seems to be able the time/space to be able to use the ball to advantage.

In terms of role, he should rotate with Kerridge/Lyons in the forward line when he is not playing on the ball.

After reading this I was about to post that some players just don't have that movement.

However why isn't it taught more in AFL? It's clearly taught in sports such as Boxing, MMA, Rugby, Soccer, NFL even basketball. In AFL it almost seems like if a player doesn't have this sidestep/movement in there first year they rarely develop it.

Quite strange when you think about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back