What the supporters want - A message to Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Fages' latest email has been sent out to Members.

Dear Member,

It seems like only yesterday that I arrived at the Club, but in reality the past couple of months have flown by because there has been so much to do and a great deal more lies ahead!

Our push towards season 2015 is gaining momentum every day. Walshy is lifting the intensity and pushing the coaches and players to a new level, while staff across all our operations are working very hard.

We have welcomed four new players, and their families, into the Crows family, with Jake Lever, Harrison Wigg, Mitchell McGovern and Harry Dear joining us through the national draft. As you will discover in coming weeks and months, they are all quality young men with no shortage of talent. I must also congratulate our entire recruiting team for executing our draft strategy so well, with their hard work and attention to detail paying off last Thursday night.

We are also now entering a significant period because for the first time you, our Members, can have a say in how the Club is run by voting for up to two Board Directors. This exciting move comes from having a new Constitution, which we needed to establish after gaining independence from our traditional owner the SANFL earlier in the year.

We are expecting a number of outstanding Director nominations and the successful candidates will play a crucial role in guiding our Club into the future. I urge you to make the most of this opportunity and cast your vote. Nominations for Directors will be called from January 15, while the online ballot commences February 9. Our website afc.com.au will have all the information you need, including the full Constitution, election rules and nomination forms.

The Adelaide Oval review is a talking point for many in the South Australian football community, and negotiations are proving to be time consuming and remain a work in progress. A great deal of confidentiality surrounds these talks, but what I can say is that we are doing all we can to ensure the best possible result.

Finally, I am pleased to say that some of you may have received your 2015 Membership Packages, and those who haven’t can expect them very soon. The release is later than previous years and while we have been ready internally, the Adelaide Oval review, coupled with transport levy arrangements, have forced a delay as some of our offerings are linked to the negotiations.

You will find there are price increases across the various Membership types but we are conscious of the need to keep them to a minimum. The packages continue to be good value for money, with the cost of our base 11-game Membership going up by less than a dollar per game.

We are going to invest in offering you greater Member benefits, while also focussing on providing the best possible game day experience. The Club has also confronted higher costs associated with playing matches at Adelaide Oval, which is undoubtedly one of the best sporting venues in the world.

Above all else, we appreciate your loyal and ongoing support, and want you to be part of our team in 2015!

Speak again soon,

Andrew

The club has a doing everything it can to do everything right feel about it right now, hopefully it continues.

Online ballot? I was certain we would have to go to a meeting at 4 pm on a Tuesday or something like that.

Any chance we can see the email in its entirety? (Only an Adelaide Oval football member so don't receive emails from the Club)

Crow-eater included the whole email text, you just have to expand the box to see it all. Otherwise if you want the actual email send me your email in the inbox thing and I can forward it.

I'll put this here, Andrew Fagan's SA Press Club luncheon audio. http://sapressclub.com.au/mp3/14/AndrewFagan.mp3

Good information, interesting to listen him speak to a different audience.

Some information, at the first half - the club pays almost $5 million a year in taxes, AFL/SANFL development, levies and equalisation and he breaks that down.

Bottom quarter across AFL clubs in online merchandise sales.

Non-football revenue has become a requirement.

Last edited:
Hi all, Thought you might like to hear this.
A few weeks ago I put together a letter that I emailed directly to Fagan. In my letter I expressed disappointment over our marketing and match day experiences and gave a few suggestions as to how it might be improved (some of which came from BigFooty).

Hey DJ, I am interested in your suggestions for improving the match-day experience. Can you share?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Match day experience". What a load of tosh. Win games and people will show up. Look at Adelaide United.
This 1000 times over and I've said it before. Win games - that's it. Then everything works.

Imagine 20,000 Port supporters turning up for another belting on a cold Sat afternoon - then spontaneously bursting into song?

Win games

This 1000 times over and I've said it before. Win games - that's it. Then everything works.

Imagine 20,000 Port supporters turning up for another belting on a cold Sat afternoon - then spontaneously bursting into song?

Win games

I want us to win games, and our reserves to play as the curtain raiser.

That's all I want; I don't care about the PotBelliez and stuff like that; if I wanted to go to a concert... I WOULD GO TO A CONCERT.

Probably also part of the reason we dominate in corporate sales compared to port, the board makes sure the 'rich white man' gets looked after. This makes me feel conflicted.

'rich, well fed, old white man' is what I'm seeing. :eek:

ETA: That is pretty disgusting, actually. What a lack of member representatives, smh.

"Match day experience". What a load of tosh. Win games and people will show up. Look at Adelaide United.

You can still put on a good match day experience in addition to winning matches, though.

As long as winning matches has the vast majority of your focus, it doesn't hurt to have something extra. If nothing else it will help to draw in borderline fans/children.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back