What the supporters want - A message to Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Sammys Street Talk footage, sorry DJ
Probably not far wrong.

Was picked partly at random, but seemed to be mostly people who had already been in touch with the club. Was some newer members, some older long term members, one or two normal people and two from The Pride I think.

It took every ounce of my self control not to slap a few people. One guy introduced himself by saying his name followed by "I am the 19th man". I wanted to leave at that point. He later suggested we bring back the 19th man chants. I died a little as he said it.

OH FFS
Probably not far wrong.

Was picked partly at random, but seemed to be mostly people who had already been in touch with the club. Was some newer members, some older long term members, one or two normal people and two from The Pride I think.

It took every ounce of my self control not to slap a few people. One guy introduced himself by saying his name followed by "I am the 19th man". I wanted to leave at that point. He later suggested we bring back the 19th man chants. I died a little as he said it.

The good news is that Fagan was really good. He is professional and yet very much down to Earth. He allowed people to say what they needed (some just basically wanted to have a whinge but presented no actual ideas), but didn't suffer fools and shut them down when needed.

It was focussed on two areas;
Match day Experience
Communication from the club

Most discussion was on Match Day experience. Fagan openly admitted the club got it badly wrong last year, but pointed out that in terms of the AFL community ours and Ports match day experiences are considered to be well above everyone else's and that we spend more money on this area than any other team in Australia.
He also pointed out that some of it has to be led by groups of supporters and the whole crowd stuff needs to be developed organically. The club can't tell people what to do - it just won't work.

A few items mentioned that people don't like;
OTR
Crowell
The 3 minutes it takes to name each player as a player introduction

Of course it is clear that with over 50,000 members, it is nearly impossible to have something everyone likes.

Fagan asked if as a club we could or should have an overriding theme to our match day experience. After about 15 minutes of people talking crap about themselves and wanting something fixed that effects them only, only one actual idea was presented for the theme. It was a good one as well ;) but don't want to mention it in an open forum as I hope the club might actually use it.

I certainly left a bit dismayed at the stupidity of people, but hopeful that the club have at least recognised that they let the fans down last year and a clear indication that they are on top of it now. I'm expecting something pretty good next year.

I must say it was really good for Fagan, Tom Rayner and Shutts to be there. It can't have been easy giving up your night to listen to some of that crap. Fagan said they want to do something like this with a different group each month.

Oh Fagan also specifically said in response to one guys comments that "I can assure you we will not be bending over for the AFL". He is a champ.

Probably not far wrong.

5v80oj.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a bloody AA meeting!

You should've asked if he realised that fans of every other club were laughing at us for the chants rubbish.

The OTR symbol gimmick at half time.
3/4 time it is. It sucks. As does the Ripper Roasts running hot (was ale mentioned at the meeting). I find it hilarious when we pick a running hot player who has had 3 possessions for the game and we are 6 goals behind!

You should've asked if he realised that fans of every other club were laughing at us for the chants rubbish.
This guy wouldn't have realised anything. Complete idiot. Unfortunately one of those people who despite being a complete idiot, thinks they are a genius with all the answers.

Havent seen it, is there a YT vid anywhere?

No-one would record it.

It's in the vein of the arm movements of YMCA. Except 1) people can't keep time. 2) they give the money to the person standing near the presenter, so there's no reason to do it in other bays 3) people can't follow instructions.

Port power fans do and some crows fans have this anxiety and inferiority complex over them doing it.

Nothing wrong with the 19th man. It's a good concept. Only people who hate it are those who give a s**t what the Port Power fans say.

Port power fans do and some crows fans have this anxiety and inferiority complex over them doing it.

Nothing wrong with the 19th man. It's a good concept. Only people who hate it are those who give a s**t what the Port Power fans say.
The only issue I have with the 19th Man thing is when it is flogged to death.

It is a great concept when it is subtle.

The website being 19thman.com.au - good
Having a forced ceremony for a 19th man flag that holds no meaning to anyone - bad

The only issue I have with the 19th Man thing is when it is flogged to death.

It is a great concept when it is subtle.

The website being 19thman.com.au - good
Having a forced ceremony for a 19th man flag that holds no meaning to anyone - bad

And I think they learnt from that after about 4 or 5 rounds rounds.

They don't need to have the huge 19th man flag paraded onto the ground but raising the flag on the hill with supporters (not corperate) is a concept they need to continue with.

19th man branding is good.

I personally couldn't care less what Port fans think when it comes to the Crows, but the video I saw of that chant night made me cringe harder than I've ever cringed before. Just plain awful.

I personally couldn't care less what Port fans think when it comes to the Crows, but the video I saw of that chant night made me cringe harder than I've ever cringed before. Just plain awful.

And they learnt from it. They no longer use it.

Some things are trial and error.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back