Analysis Whats eating Gryan Miers .

Remove this Banner Ad

Also playing to far away from goal. He is not a midfielder
Big problem, I think. Looked like a good small forward. Lot of nous around goals. Doesn't look strong playing as a midfielder. Why play him there? We need dangerous scoring options, and he's not helping us much in the midfield. Not every promising young talent needs to become a midfielder. Some guys are just good at kicking and setting up goals in the forward half.

Big problem, I think. Looked like a good small forward. Lot of nous around goals. Doesn't look strong playing as a midfielder. Why play him there? We need dangerous scoring options, and he's not helping us much in the midfield. Not every promising young talent needs to become a midfielder. Some guys are just good at kicking and setting up goals in the forward half.

Yep closer to goal I think the best option for him.
Let dollhouse moved up the ground more, hes not a big goal kicker anyway.

Stop him from running onto his preferred side and he is useless.

Also playing to far away from goal. He is not a midfielder

Only concern if you are to play forward is you need to be able to take overhead marks and Miers has a poor leap.
It makes him a little one-dimensional so perhaps adding another string to his bow is in his best interest.

I have always been a big believer in high jumpers. Our forward has none of them. Hawkins has not gotten off the ground since 2015. Ablett has never been a spring heeled Jack and Miers, Dahlhaus, Rohan, Atkins are all opportunist ground players.

Only concern if you are to play forward is you need to be able to take overhead marks and Miers has a poor leap.
It makes him a little one-dimensional so perhaps adding another string to his bow is in his best interest.

I have always been a big believer in high jumpers. Our forward has none of them. Hawkins has not gotten off the ground since 2015. Ablett has never been a spring heeled Jack and Miers, Dahlhaus, Rohan, Atkins are all opportunist ground players.

We lack at 2nd/3rd marking target..

Jack Steven?

What about Jack ?
He has not he has straps yet .
I though he was building with b2b 17 touch games playing mainly forward.

He still looks underdone.
But he's played well before looking like that way he does.

Pity Clark injured he adds something to the team.

I posted something similar in the autopsy thread but also appropriate here - I agree we are seeing Miers further up the ground then we'd maybe like to see him, especially as he looks more dangerous the closer to goal he is

When he is playing further up the ground is that coaching instructions & trying to add/develop a different side to his game - because I'm not sure I remember him starting in the middle or on the wings at too many, if any centre bounces, seems he's always starting in our forward 50 when on the ground

Or is him getting possessions further up the ground & even in the oppositions 50, just systemic of where the games at - players don't purely play in their own area of the ground, but rather they do or are expected to have flexibility to be more rounded in their play. Also seems that especially for forwards, that if the ball isn't really coming into the forward line that we do see them playing further up the ground to try and get involved in the game

The latter can be good for the individuals stats but more disposals doesn't necessarily equate to having a better impact

Diverting away from Miers for a minute, I used to work with a mad St Kilda fan and we'd often talk footy - one thing he'd say before & after Geelong/St Kilda games is that when he saw Stevie J going into the middle he'd breath a sigh of relief; he'd rather see Stevie get 20/25+ disposals playing in the middle compared with 10/15 disposals playing in our forward 50.

I feel it could be much the same with Miers - the closer to goal he is the more damaging he is

He hasnā€™t been bad this year. Only last night he was bad due to pressure and hesitation due to coaching out his instinct but mostly for the fact every time he got the call 60m out there were no options further afield.

Miers is an instinctive twitch player. If he gets the ball sbd has to wait 5 mins because the rest of the forward line is in defensive 50, itā€™s not his fault.

All players have things to work on and there are plenty worse than him this year in that department.

Play him closer to goal
Tell him to play on instinct
Coach the forward setup better
Work on his left foot

Simple.

Iā€™ve got no doubt he will be one of our better players. Heā€™s probably our second best young player after Clark. No one else comes close.

Kreuger should get a look in shortly. Super athletic kid with nice spring.
Hoping we can develop a really handy small forward though. Linc McCarthy always showed glimpses and along with Cockatoo, injuries just stalling our chances of seeing one come through.

I would like if we had more than one goal kicking small forward...a young one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think specifically last night he got called holding the ball a couple of times early and he tried to adapt and ended up rushing his disposal. I don't think he'd repeat that performance simply on the basis that umpiring like we saw last night is thankfully rare.

More generally, this hasn't been his best season and yes he has limitations, but part of his impact last year was that he was sneaking up the ground. I think what's happening is that teams are aware of it and send someone to defend him when it happens so he's no longer this loose player in space in the middle. Could be a sign that sides aren't having a much trouble with our named midfield as they did last year. I wouldn't stop it but I would try and use him to draw oppo players out of midfield stoppages if they're eager to drop a number through there to defend him

What about Jack ?
He has not he has straps yet .
I though he was building with b2b 17 touch games playing mainly forward.

He still looks underdone.
But he's played well before looking like that way he does.

Pity Clark injured he adds something to the team.
He means that Jack Steven is eating Miers.

For dinner I presume.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back