What's happening in the Bendigo Football League #3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other matter relevant to football in Bendigo is the Bendigo Bombers.
(A very generous name). In two years time they should be replaced in the VFL by Golden Square - a real football club like North Ballarat is. Golden Square is strong enough to field teams in the VFL and the BFNL. I bet a lot more people would watch them than the Bombers. What North Ballarat can do Golden Square can do.

Decent post but this last bit is not the way to go.

To compare Golden Square and North Ballarat is not comparing apples to apples. North Ballarat was one of, if not the most powerful clubs in country Victoria. 14 flags between 1975 and 1995. 5 flags in the 1990's and then the entrance to the VFL. Their record is significantly better than most major league teams.

A major problem North Ballarat encountered going into the VFL was that they had a large base of haters from their BFL days. People from Golden Point, East Ballarat, Ballarat and etc were not going to support a team that 'stole' their players for decades and won most of the flags. It is still a major issue they have to overcome.

Noting that they have won the last two premierships in the VFL they seem to be coping with this problem OK!

Noting that they have won the last two premierships in the VFL they seem to be coping with this problem OK!

They are still having trouble being embraced as "Ballarat's team". Also, they dominated the BFL for a long time. Square has hardly done that. North have massive money also.

They are still having trouble being embraced as "Ballarat's team". Also, they dominated the BFL for a long time. Square has hardly done that. North have massive money also.

Being an ex-Ballarat Swan and now a Hurst Dragon and seeing both leagues in detail, I'd have to agree with you. North did a huge redevelopment in the early 90's and turned their mud-heap into an AFL standard surface... and put the pokies in to create an on-going revenue stream.

Square have neither of these and Bendigo being Bendigo, people despise change so I doubt whether the Square members would go for it.

Non-North supporters still hold a great deal of resentment towards the black&white so&so's... look at their games on ABC VFL... noone there! Just like Bendigo Bombers... The Roosters have been more successful for a number of reasons, one being North Melbourne have embraced the concept better than Essendon.

Crowds in Ballarat and Bendigo local footy are terrible, so why would going to see a VFL side filled with non-locals motivate you to do something your local club can't? It can't be the standard, because it's not much better... and I'd argue that Bendigo local footy is just as entertaining.

My suggestion - Strathfieldsaye. It has the room to grow, it's parochial... and already most non-Storm footy people despise them.. hahaha! give them 5 years and then their Enterprise Group could make this their next project.

Look my real interest is not the VFL. I am just making a point in passing that Golden Square would do a much better job than the Bendigo Bombers and generate bigger crowds. (They can hardly lose more matches than the Bombers!). However it would be up to Square and its supporters to consider this and it clearly cannot happen in the near future under current VFL arrangements. (For the record both Square and Sandhurst considered joining the VFL in the 1970's).

My interest is seeing an improvement in the Bendigo League - crowds and standard. Ovens & Murray and the Goulburn Valley get crowds of up to 12,000 at their grandfinals - Bendigo 5,000 to 6,000 at best. This is just not good enough and I think I have made the point pretty clearly that this problem won't be tackled until it is at least acknowledged by its administrators and local media in the first place. This is the key point I am making. I have made suggestions (chasing Sunbury etc) and others may have alternatives.

In summary I just don't want to see the Bendigo League drift on as it is perfecting the art of being mediocre.

Has anyone got any news on the Kangaroo Flat coaching position?

Think Rochester.
Cant get a direct answer on which one from my source but will come out by tomorrow. The goat will be hanging around Flat tonight no doubt maybe he can let us know...............:cool:

BFL Finals 2009
Seniors biggest winning margin 108 pts lowest 31 pts average 57 pts.
Reserves biggest winning margin 92 pts lowest 12 pts average 34 pts
Under 18 biggest winning margin 109 pts lowest 24 pts average 54 pts

The CEO and Chairman of the BFL state that the BFL is a even and healthy league.

Think Rochester.
Cant get a direct answer on which one from my source but will come out by tomorrow. The goat will be hanging around Flat tonight no doubt maybe he can let us know...............:cool:

Lenny Schmidt?... would be a chance. Less travel for him which would appeal to him. Maybe Rochy's effort in the Prelim persuaded him that he got the most out that group that he could.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BFL Finals 2009
Seniors biggest winning margin 108 pts lowest 31 pts average 57 pts.
Reserves biggest winning margin 92 pts lowest 12 pts average 34 pts
Under 18 biggest winning margin 109 pts lowest 24 pts average 54 pts

The CEO and Chairman of the BFL state that the BFL is a even and healthy league.
The Seniors is a bit of a concern, to have the closest game in the entire finals series decided by over 5 goals, but I don't think that's really what determines the state of a league; I think you would have to look more at the bottom 5 sides and how they performed throughout the year.

The Seniors is a bit of a concern, to have the closest game in the entire finals series decided by over 5 goals, but I don't think that's really what determines the state of a league; I think you would have to look more at the bottom 5 sides and how they performed throughout the year.
I don't disagree with these comments, but I think the 'acid test' for measuring the state/health of a league is crowds. The Bendigo Leagues final crowds (grand final in particular) reflect those of district leagues - they are way down on ALL the other major country leagues. A lack of strong country clubs in the finals is hurting the league.

The fully understand the needs and concerns of the non bendigo clubs the BFL need to appoint a Board member that is not a Bendigo resident.

Over the years there has only been one member that didn't reside in Bendigo.

Can anyone tell me whether or not how much Ovens and Murray and Golburn Valley's top teams would flog Bendigo's top teams or vice versa...

Can anyone tell me whether or not how much Ovens and Murray and Golburn Valley's top teams would flog Bendigo's top teams or vice versa...

I would suggest that the top 4 teams in the GV would beat Golden Square/South by 4 - 5 goals and flog the rest by 10.

I would suggest that the top 4 teams in the GV would beat Golden Square/South by 4 - 5 goals and flog the rest by 10.

Wahta bout the bottom 4 sides hwo would they go against the likes of Castlemaine, Maryborough, Slagheads??? Kynton would prob get a touch up from Heathcote and Charlton at this stage of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back