What's the big deal with Vernon Pielander?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jackfrost

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
All I've ever seen of him is getting schooled but a sometimes sub-standard Australian batting lineup and dealing with 'back issues' when he has to play on flat decks like Adelaide?

What is so good about this guy?

All I've ever seen of him is getting schooled but a sometimes sub-standard Australian batting lineup and dealing with 'back issues' when he has to play on flat decks like Adelaide?

What is so good about this guy?

115 wickets @21 in 26 tests. Very accurate and gets a good level of seam movement. Always at the batsman. Got 1/16 off 9 and 4/45 off 10 in the first two odis so not too sure what you're on about tbh

21 is the important number surrounding this guy. There is still plenty of water left to go under the bridge that is his career, but so far you can't argue against that.

Glenn McGrath wasn't much to look at when compared with the searing pace and vicious swing of others, but he does much the same as philander - Obviously for a lot longer.

Rides on the coat tails of Steyn and Morkel and picks up cheap wickets when they are rested

115 wickets @21 in 26 tests. Very accurate and gets a good level of seam movement. Always at the batsman. Got 1/16 off 9 and 4/45 off 10 in the first two odis so not too sure what you're on about tbh
There's been three ODIs hasn't there?

There's been three ODIs hasn't there?

Alright I'll cut to the chase. You're alluding to his 0/70 off 9 last odi and him having an unsuccessful test at the GABBA and then pulling out of that second test with a Back injury on what was a road. You allege that this test was against a 'weak' Australian Batting lineup in that test when it actually contained Clarke ( in the form of his life at that point) and hussey who was also in very good form. Compare this to his body of work over a test and one day career and the only conclusions can come to is that you are wrong in saying he is a pie chucker. He is one of the best bowlers in the world

Oh dear.

All hail The Vern.
bKiUi4dsipkl.jpg

At this point we have his measure. He is a bit of a show pony and we have got in his head. Aside from those two tests in 2011 he has been pretty ordinary against us.

However, that doesn't mean he isn't good. Pretty much every player has a bogie country or two. For him, it's us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this point we have his measure. He is a bit of a show pony and we have got in his head. Aside from those two tests in 2011 he has been pretty ordinary against us.

However, that doesn't mean he isn't good. Pretty much every player has a bogie country or two. For him, it's us.
Must have had Jacques Kallis as a mentor

Though I think he is slightly flattered by his 21 average. He is still a quality operator and is a great foil for Steyn and Morkel.

Averaged of 21 with the ball, economy of 2.8 which is gold in this higher scoring era and probably the best number 8 bat in test cricket.

Haven't see a lot of him at odi level but even then he averages 23 with an economy of 4.4, i mean 4.4 who goes at just 4.4 in odi cricket now?

Philander is a great bowler and I love the way he bowls. He certainly isn't Pielander

I saw him bowling against New Zealand a year or two ago and * me he was awesome: deadly accurate, swinging both ways and moving it off the deck, was impossible to play. Perhaps the question remains whether he can be effective if the ball isn't moving but it's the same with a lot of bowlers (Jimmy Anderson I'm looking at you).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back