What's the big deal with Vernon Pielander?

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent bowler, but he can be exposed through aggressive batting. Warner's successes against him early on in the innings has a marked effect upon his confidence. If allowed to settle into a line and length against a timid batsman, he'll inevitably make them look very stupid. I'm not one to back a reckless approach to batting, but have to acknowledge that calculated cross batted hitting has been very effective in negating his influence. We are fortunate that Warner is one of the few batsman with the ability to do this.

Looks like he's taken over the eating duties from Jacques as well.

Is it Vernon Pielander? Or Vernon Pieeater?

198023.jpg

He is a very good bowler. Probably the best example in the world that you don't have to be express pace like Johnson or Steyn, to be a very good wicket taking bowler. In my opinion the best swing bowler in the world.

And as day turns into night, Vernon Pielander will 'tweak' something when required to bowl on a flat pitch or did he come up with a better excuse this time?

Last edited:
I wonder what Ponting's average would be if he selectively chose his decks and avoided playing at grounds like the WACA, Egbaston, Galle, Kolkatta, Mumbai, Trent Bridge, Newlands, Wanderers, Lords etc? Wow his average shoots up to 64.95... well done Punter.

Terrible thread. Philander is a gun. We're just his bogey team. Jobe Watson always struggles against Sydney, but does that make him a bad player? Of course not.

Terrible thread. Philander is a gun. We're just his bogey team. Jobe Watson always struggles against Sydney, but does that make him a bad player? Of course not.
There were questions about him not playing on decks that didnt suit him last time he was here and that he was protecting those stats. I don't follow the South Africans enough to know if this is true or not. Just that the rumour has been around for a while

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must have had Jacques Kallis as a mentor

Dunno how I staggered into this, but lol.

1. Philander’s two bogey teams are actually, bizarrely, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. Only sides he averages higher than 28 against. In fact, even his batting average against Australia is better than it is against all but one opponent.

2. Kallis averaged 42 against a side who for most of his career, was the second best team of all time. And that was after scoring about 60 runs in his first 7 innings against them. It’s not like he couldn’t figure out how to play cricket against Australia.

Has he been injured when South Africa have played on the sub-continent or they don't play him due the pitches not been his style of bowling? I can't remember him playing a series in India or Sri Lanka. Great bowler though.

Jackfrost... There's an old name... He was a pretty rubbish poster. Which rates him somewhere in the middle of this board :drunk:

Big Vern is a gun. Whilst his average is comparable to all time greats like McGrath, Lillee, Akram, Marshall, Ambrose et al, I don't think I'd quite have him in that class. Definitely one of the best bowlers of this era. Probably helped by playing a lot of cricket in SA, although I haven't really seen him play anywhere else but Australia (so may be ignorant to his other overseas performances)

Big Vern is a gun. Whilst his average is comparable to all time greats like McGrath, Lillee, Akram, Marshall, Ambrose et al, I don't think I'd quite have him in that class. Definitely one of the best bowlers of this era. Probably helped by playing a lot of cricket in SA, although I haven't really seen him play anywhere else but Australia (so may be ignorant to his other overseas performances)

He averages about 27-28 outside SA so he’s still cut the mustard but it’s fair to say he’s not the overall destructive force of some of the players you mentioned

Remove this Banner Ad

Back