Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Bittersweet Life (2005) - A very sharp well directed action film. Contained the right mix of drama and black humour. The Koreans can really excel at this sort of stuff. Never seen brutality dished out so stylishly. 8/10

One of my favourite movies, the dude in my avatar pic is Lee Byung-hun who was the lead actor in that film. He is an awesome actor and very versatile, I've seen most of his films. Better looking than the Hollywood wannabes too.

The Raid 2.

To be honest I missed the start and found the exposition throughout confusing as a result (shithouse subs didn't help) but with a movie like this it doesn't really matter. Fighting lots of campaigners because crime and revenge, too easy.

Probably a bit long but the fights scenes were pretty amazing as expected, the full on courtyard "brawl" (blood bath) was spectacular, the first fight scene very reminiscent of Old Boy and the cramped space fighting impossible odds. Don't know if it was a bit of an homage to Jackie Chan but I loved all the useless s**t they used as makeshift weapons or simply threw (pretty sure at one stage a cup of ramen was thrown).

Good to see the mad dog go out in a blaze of glory.

Is that the shark movie or the 2011 drama?

Going to watch these soon

The shark movie, I think the drama has a 'The' at the front from memory. Deep Blue Sea's effects are quite dated, but it stands up well as a deliciously inventive creature horror. It's the best of the bad shark movie sub genre, a worthy guilty pleasure.

Hope you enjoy them, seminal 70s cinema.

Watched Disclosure for the first time today. Not great, Michael Douglas (whilst I like his work overall) is just so smug that it's hard to feel empathy with any of his characters. 4.5/10

The Machine

A British sci fi low budget flick that has an interesting story, is well acted & has good special effects. Enjoyed it.

7/10
I'd give it a 6/10 but pretty much agree with what you said. I've just taken one mark off for the clunky script. I enjoyed it too though.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - If I take this movie on it's own terms, which is what I should be doing, its in the upper echelon of Marvel films. Chris Evans is great, Scarlett Johansson is perfect as Black Widow (I say that with no notion of what the Black Widow's supposed to be like in the comics) and Anthony Mackie is a welcome addition. The problem I've got thought is that it seems like comic book adaptations are starting to wear me out. There's no end point in sight, and I think I need something like that with these films. Even with the teen novel franchises, though they are milking that for all its worth, at least there a definite conclusion there. With these films I worry that as soon they get to Cap 3 and Evans decides enough, they either get someone else or reboot the thing all over. I'll still watch them sure, but my excitement levels are diminishing with every passing film.
7/10

Escape from Tomorrow - For those that don't know, this one was filmed guerrilla style at Disney World about a man's last day on vacation with his family there. From a filming perspective, the fact that they pulled it off, and have for now not encountered the wrath of Disney is probably the film's most remarkable achievement. Aside from a few obvious green screen scenes, which end up being a little jarring, the rest of the film does actually look like alright. But then you get into the story and it just gets into some really weird, even sinister places that aren't really all that coherent. Might need a rewatch but I might just need to have some sort of attachment to the place which I don't have. Still if you do, or just curious enough it's still probably worth seeing.
4/10

TRAINSPOTTING
9/10

Hadn't seen it in 10 years , lost none of it's impact.
The movie that convinced me ( and million more ) never to try Heroin.
McGregor is brilliant in this , and Carlyle ??....what more needs to be said there :D

The Lone Ranger - 5/10

Overlong and dull, this movie dragged on for so long that by the time big finale happens you're too bored to really care what happens which is a shame because it really is a pretty good scene. Predictable 'twist' as well but there were some decent parts and I did laugh at times, it just needed to be cut down by about 20 - 25 minutes or so and the movie would of come out from it a lot better. Kinda worth a look if you like seeing Depp playing kooky which he does in pretty much every movie he is in and what $250,000,000 looks like on the screen. Entertaining enough for kids but yeah it's just a disappointment considering this is the team behind Pirates Of The Caribbean although that series probably shouldn't have gone past a 3rd movie but they are making a fortune from the franchise so who can blame them really.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TRAINSPOTTING
9/10

Hadn't seen it in 10 years , lost none of it's impact.
The movie that convinced me ( and million more ) never to try Heroin.
McGregor is brilliant in this , and Carlyle ??....what more needs to be said there :D

Agree with what you say, however for me it was a movie I saw prob 25-30 years ago, Christiane F, which I had all but forgotten about until I read your post.

I recall it left a fairly powerful impression at a time when the group I was hanging with were all trying a few things if & when they were available, which given where we grew up, wasn't very often, probably a good thing.

I see there is a copy floating about so will have a trip down memory lane later in the week, thanks to your post:thumbsu:

Noah.

I have a new Worst Movie Ever.

In the Beginning there was an idea: make a biblical movie. There were some s**t special effects, character types out of the Lord Of The Rings, some of the worst performances by a group of good actors you could imagine, and some average looking 1960's type wildlife cutaways. The storyline can't make up its mind whether it is going to stay approximately with the original story, or just change completely into a Die Hard With A Vengeance type tale. Does neither - just dithers. Felt sorry for Crowe.

The Lincoln Lawyer (2011): Given the recent form of Matthew McConaughey, I thought I'd go back to some of his slightly older work. This movie was not a disappointment. Well acted by that man and a solid plot. 8/10

Fantastic film. Great performances and it's just beautifully crafted.
Yeah, it's a masterpeice, imo. I think I mentioned it way back when I attempted to breathe life into the sadly ignored Cinema of the World thread.

Watched an earlier del Toro last night, the hauntingly touching The Devils Backbone. Set in an orphanage in a war ravaged Spain, it tells the story of a young lad, Carlos, who is left parentless after his father dies fighting the Spanish Civil War.

Nods to Cronos and the brilliant later work of Pans Labyrinth evident throughout.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0256009/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Definitely worth a look.

Last edited:
Movie I have watched over the last few weeks:

Mud - 8.5/10
Disclosure - 4.5/10
Shortbus - 7/10
Norwegian Wood (Japanese) - 7/10
I Saw The Devil (Korean) - 8/10
Pretty In Pink - 6/10
Short Circuit 2 - 7/10 (one of those rare sequels that is better than it's predecessor)
The Prowler - 7.5/10
Peeping Tom - 8.5/10
The Dark Corner - 7.5/10
Y Tu Mama Tambien (Mexican) - 7/10
Inside Paris (French) - 7/10
Fermat's Room (German) - 7/10
What Richard Did (Irish) - 2.5/10

Fantastic film. Great performances and it's just beautifully crafted.
Yeah, it's a masterpeice, imo. I think I mentioned it way back when I attempted to breathe life into the sadly ignored Cinema of the World thread.
Was a complete movie experience with a beautiful soundtrack. I think this one topped 3-Iron as the director's best. I've watched many quality Korean films over the last few years and this one would go close to the top alongside Poetry.

BLADE RUNNER - The final Cut

Now i remember my Dad taking me to see this at the drive-in ( i was 6 ffs lol ) and only remember parts.
Hadn't seen it again since then but geez , what a cluster*.

6/10 cos it has Harry Ford in it and for the ahead-of-it's-time sets-effects
I also seem to remember Deckard screaming more when he had his fingers errrrrr....repositioned

Last edited:
Being a great day to do nothing, I've caught up on a few movies on my foxtel IQ.
..... And they both sucked really bad. I watched the Hobbit. Boring I just couldn't get into it, and Die even harder or die hard 5. Seriously Bruce didn't need the money so why even bother with this gigantic piece of crap.

Going to check out Argo and this is the end now, hoping for a much better result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back