Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched Drag Me to Hell again for about the fifth time. It has turned into my favourite horror movie of all time, along with The Shining. Great movie.

Twilight: Eclipse

There were actually a few moments of levity in this one.

Of course the humour was bludgeoned out of them by grim direction/delivery.

Judging by the SBS trailer, it looks like Bella and Edward might finally root in the next one...

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1
An adaptation of the novel of the same name by Suzanne Collins

The saga continues in this dystopian world. However the very thing that captured audiences world wide is now gone - the Games itself. What replaces it is a nation wide uprising against the big bag government. This is done well.....

Starring iClouds Jennifer Lawrence, who reprises her role as Katniss Everdeen, the rebellion is up and running. Lord Snow (Donald Sutherland), the manipulative and evil overseer of the country, is doing all he can to protect his interests. Assisting in the uprising are White Men Can Jumps (Billy Hoyle) Woody Harrelson - who plays a mere supporting role, Julianne Moore as the rebels leader, the other Hemsworth - who steps up as the man muscle, and Phil Seymour Hoffman in his last ever role before an untimely death. Oh yeah, Sol Campbell lookalike Mahershala Ali also plays a role. Prison Break fans will be pleased to see Robert T-Bag Knepper makes an appearance with both hands in tact.

It is a shame that Elizabeth Banks doesnt have the platform to shine as she once did like a beacon in the previous chapters.

I didnt like the cat.

The contrast of costume colour for me was stark. Rebel districts in dreary, drab grey matching their mood. Snows city extravagant and bright costumes glorifying the rich. However for me, the movie was more rebel than snow. Perhaps it was the lack of air con in the cinema that caused me to fall asleep....or maybe not.

The penultimate flick clearly is building towards something big. This is a filler and plays the role of the setter in volleyball I feel. If you're looking for something like its preceding cousins with a controlled, dog eat dog contest, then look away.

6.4/10

Preview - the new Night at the Museum. Robin Williams final movie. It was sad that in one session I saw RW and PSH in their final hurrahs. This film features a scene where two characters watch youtube clip of a cat chasing a laser light. Remember this - it (the concept) is featured in THGP1.

The Graduate - decided to finally get around to this one after news during the week of the directors death & not being a big fan of Hoffman, I didn't have my expectations set too high. Enjoyable? yes. Ridiculous at times? yes. & the final scene I thought was brilliant, one of the best endings to a movie I have seen.
I did however have a major issue with the daughters reaction to the apparent rape of her mother, comedy or not, I just didn't think that scene worked & had me wondering how audiences at the time reacted to it - considered marking it down but the ending entitled it to a reprieve
- 7.5/10

Last edited:
Like Father, Like Son: Fans of Ozu should enjoy this poignant family drama by Hirokazu Koreeda. 8/10

12 Angry Men: Classic 9/10

The Uninvited Guest: 6.5/10

Wadja: 6/10

Jump: Excellent 8/10

Really enjoying a Japanese binge at the moment and nobody does introspection better than the Japanese.

Last edited:
You guys inspired me to watch King of Kong. Great doco, I can't believe that Billy Mitchell guy is a real person, surely playing up for the camera!
Nah mate, he's for real. There's a few other docos on the subject and of course he has cameos in all of them. How could they ever leave out the "Video Game Player of the Century" in such an important documentation..?

I heard he's now doing promos for hair dryers btw...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the aussie film "the mule" very bad taste but I enjoyed the aussie dark humour. Hugo Weaving was great as usual. Great if u dont mind poo humour. 7/10

The Castle (rewatch) - Still got it. One of those comedies you can rewatch over and over. 4/5

The Last of the Mohicans - Just didn't do it for me. 2.5/5

The Cold Light of Day - A very frustrating film. Can't believe Bruce Willis agreed to do this. Possibly the worst movie of Sigourney Weaver's career. Phoned it in. 1/5

John Carter - Kept me entertained despite the criticism it gets. Would like to see it remade as a more adult film though. 3.5/5

In Time - Really interesting premise to the film, but didn't really pull it off. Another I'd like see remade. 3/5

Last edited:
Random BILLY MITCHELL quotes...

“Two hundred and fifty boards. Over many, many hours. Never dying once. Never missing a point. I had all kinds of people: ‘Oh, you can’t do it. Oh, no-one’s ever done that. There’s no way you can do that. Betcha you can’t.’ I say don’t betcha life.”
- on getting a perfect Pac-Man score.

“The all around most seasoned person in the hot sauce chicken wing industry? Yeah, for sure. Me. There’s a production end of it. There’s the preparation. When there’s the sales end of it, there’s not somebody who encompasses all of those areas like me that I’ve ever met.”
- on his hot sauce.

“Mr. Nakamota, who’s the father of Pac-Man, he presented me with an award... for having done the world’s first perfect game. So sometimes when I’m with someone: ‘Oh, you think you know more about the games than the people who made them?’ Ah, yeah. They told me I do.”

"No! What? How’s that even possible?”
“Coz I’m Billy Mitchell.”
- after doing an impossible move on Pac-Man.

“In front of what we believed was the 20 best players in the world, I played him a game of Donkey Kong. He got 190,000 in his game. I got 849,000 points on my first guy. That was the end of the questions. I forever put him in his place. My gameplay absolutely intimidated him.”
- versus Steve Sanders, 1983. Sanders claimed to be the best Donkey Kong player in the world.

“Basically he walked away with head down. Humbled. I’ve pointed out to Steve that he’s the person he is today because he came under the wrath of Bill Mitchell.
- again on the match-up with Sanders.

“There’ll always be the argument that video games are meant to be played for fun... But competitive gaming - when you wanna attach your name to a world record, when you want your name written into history - you have to pay the price.”

“Billy Mitchell always has a plan.”

I like how he compares himself and his achievements to the Red Baron at the start of the film.

Anyway, saw Interstellar tonight. Very nice looking film with another strong performance from MM. It's nearly the end of the year and I still rate Grand Budapest Hotel as the film I most enjoyed in 2014, this would be inside the top 5. 8/10

I like how he compares himself and his achievements to the Red Baron at the start of the film.

Haha! That was awesome. There's another clip where he compares himself and his main Pac-Man rival to the Sammy Sosa-Mark McGwire race for the MLB season home run record.

Got a costume party coming up with the theme of "Favourite movie/TV character."

Reckon I'm now gonna go as Billy Mitchell...

Finally got around to watching Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Id rate it a 7.5/10.

It was good entertainment but overplayed some of the big moments to try to make them too much of a big deal. Sometimes less is more.

An Alternate Reality - The Football Manager Documentary

An interesting look at the history of the game, the amount of work that goes into the research, and how much its grown. Also at some of the people that play it. Did enjoy Paolo Nutini saying he was backstage about to go on at Glastonbury thinking "I need a new Right Back".

Also enjoyed the guy who got so wound up in an FA Cup final that his neighbour called the police.

3.5/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back