Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

American Fiction - At times a cutting satire on the literature industry and popularity, and at others a family drama on loss in its many forms. Which is to say both stories work, and could stand alone on it's own, but together in a single film...it probably bites off more than it chew. Still, stay for the laughs and a top-shelf cast, led by the incomparable Jeffery Wright. 7/10
Well summed up, I quite enjoyed it but it does feel like two movies happening at once. The fact that it works at all is probably a credit to it.

Great cameo from Adam Brody too. Thought there was a bit of Adaptation influence on it towards the end which I enjoyed also.

Lamb. It's an Icelandic movie I stumbled across. Very strange to say the least. :think:

Part way in I was thinking there's not much happening, and questioning what it was all about. Then a really understated shock moment. Brilliant. Then more weirdness as though it was just normal in remote Iceland. I loved the landscapes and the cinematography.

Dune Part Two: really good epic filmmaking. It’s so technically proficient and skilled that I guess as a criticism it does feel a bit soulless to stop it from being an all time favourite for me, but as a pure spectacle it doesn’t get much better.

The Third Man (1949): one of the greatest films of all time. I’d seen it before but it had been a while, and I think I loved it even more than in previous viewings. The score, cinematography and performances all working in perfection towards maybe cinema’s greatest final scene.

Dune Part Two: really good epic filmmaking. It’s so technically proficient and skilled that I guess as a criticism it does feel a bit soulless to stop it from being an all time favourite for me, but as a pure spectacle it doesn’t get much better.
They even got a Monty Python joke in there.

The Zone of Interest

Hot tip, have your sound up loud and don’t concentrate too hard on the images. Probably needs to be listened to in another sitting.

The black and white negative scene is a glimmer of hope in a pit of despair. Interesting ending as well, I wonder if he smelt the death on the stairs?

Went and saw Dune 2 today
Haven't seen part one since the original run at the cinemas

Extremely well made film that largely doesn't feel like a 2.5 hour movie

also watched Poor Things last night now that its on Disney

really enjoyed it, liked the old hollywood soundstage feel that suited the period of the movie as well

Dune 1 and 2.

Look it's not my genre. Houses, chosen ones, destinies, prophecies, purity of bloodlines, loyalty, bow before the leader, prove your worth with a contrived one on one fight. A bit trite.

I'm sure the book has a lot more depth but in a movie it seems these concepts get reduced to corny dialogue that leaves the actors all deserving awards for not breaking out in laughter when saying their lines.

I felt some of it required prior knowledge, that woman recrording a diary and the Christopher Walken scenes didn't make sense to me.

I feel a director's cut might be worth seeing, some of the editing seemed to make the story 'leap' a bit.

That aside, on a superficial level it's easy enough to know who the good guys and bad guys are and the action scenes really are worth seeing on a big screen. The interspersed humour could seem out of place in such a movie but they got this part right.

If you already know the story I feel this would be an excellent movie. If you want to wach this to be told a profound or meaningful story you might be disappointed. If you don't care about any of that you'll like it

For me, 2.5 stars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dune 1 and 2.

Look it's not my genre. Houses, chosen ones, destinies, prophecies, purity of bloodlines, loyalty, bow before the leader, prove your worth with a contrived one on one fight. A bit trite.

I'm sure the book has a lot more depth but in a movie it seems these concepts get reduced to corny dialogue that leaves the actors all deserving awards for not breaking out in laughter when saying their lines.

I felt some of it required prior knowledge, that woman recrording a diary and the Christopher Walken scenes didn't make sense to me.

I feel a director's cut might be worth seeing, some of the editing seemed to make the story 'leap' a bit.

That aside, on a superficial level it's easy enough to know who the good guys and bad guys are and the action scenes really are worth seeing on a big screen. The interspersed humour could seem out of place in such a movie but they got this part right.

If you already know the story I feel this would be an excellent movie. If you want to wach this to be told a profound or meaningful story you might be disappointed. If you don't care about any of that you'll like it

For me, 2.5 stars.

Most Dune fans understand the compromises required to make a commercially viable movie.

The essence of the movie remains faithful to the book and it does demonstrate Frank Herbert's message of not blinding following charismatic leaders. The "chosen one" may start off with fantastic ideas but these can have devastating consequences to the masses if left unchecked.

You see this transformation with Paul during part 2 which will lead into the horrors of part 3.

Poor Things
A fabulous movie that I shouldn't have gone to see with my dad. The visuals were incredible and the content was both funny and appalling. Some of the scenes looked like a Dali painting, so sumptuous with colour and surrealist elements.

I thought it was a pretty accurate depiction of a girlhood exploration of sexuality, as confronting as some of the scenes were. I also thought it captured how girls and women can be used and trapped by men (#notallmen), often before they even reach maturity - and then as the girls age and decide they want liberation and autonomy, they're no longer as desirable to those same men.

Dune part 2

Masterpiece of a movie. The first was good but very slow, this never felt like that

Graphics, acting, music and storyline were all amazing

8.7/10

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Dune 1 and 2.

I'm currently cramming the 2006 audiobook to flesh out my understanding, so hopefully I will have a good time with it.

It's pretty good! Well produced and with a decent cast of voice actors.

The Third Man (1949): one of the greatest films of all time. I’d seen it before but it had been a while, and I think I loved it even more than in previous viewings. The score, cinematography and performances all working in perfection towards maybe cinema’s greatest final scene.
"I never knew the old Vienna..."

It is possibly the most perfect film ever made.

I first saw it around 1983 when the old Carlton Moviehouse would screen classics during the daytime in summer. I was about 13 or 14. I left the cinema stunned by how great a film could be. Few have come to match it since.

"I never knew the old Vienna..."

It is possibly the most perfect film ever made.

I first saw it around 1983 when the old Carlton Moviehouse would screen classics during the daytime in summer. I was about 13 or 14. I left the cinema stunned by how great a film could be. Few have come to match it since.
Watched this a long time ago, I think I need to see it again I forget a lot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back