Where are they now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not worth the effort comparing players of different eras IMO, but the half back line of J Devine/P Walker/S Lord was far and away the best half back line in the competition from 1962-1964.. Devine was tough and hard ( as Ray Card was) and as vice captain made sure he looked after his teammates.

I recall Alec Epis giving John Sharrock a very hard time physically during a game at KP…Devine ran to Sharrock and sent him to half back for 10 minutes…Epis continually bumping into Devine from behind as he had to Sharrock…yapping in his ear to let him know of his intentions. It became more and more physical and the Kookaburra gave as good as he got….Eventually.. Devine ran his stops down the front of Epis's shin…and trotted back to his position….Epis was very restricted eventually replaced...and Sharrock had a good day after that….

Was Devine a sniper? I wouldn't call him that … it was a different era and the game was played differently. He took plenty, and he handed it out. What Devine did wouldn't be acceptable today, but he got a standing ovation that day.

Not that he had much to work with? Malcolm blight took the same squad to within a kick of a flag the very next year! Do you even watch football?

Devine wasn't much of a coach, I think we all agree with that ….. but during his tenure 86-88 he recruited Garry Hocking, future captain Mark Bairstow, Billy Brownless, Bruce Lindner, Gavin Exell, Barry Stoneham and David Cameron. He made sure Blight had some talent to work with and that shouldn't be forgotten.

Why Geelong appointed a man who hadn't coached at senior level for over a decade to replace Tom Hafey defied belief, but probably reflected the utter hopelessness of the off field management team at the time.

How things have changed.

Not that he had much to work with? Malcolm blight took the same squad to within a kick of a flag the very next year! Do you even watch football?
Did you actually assimilate my post? I acknowledged Devine failed as a coach at the elite level. Repeat! Failed as an elite coach

As for Devine's track record. After a successful Tasmanian playing/coach career, winning three flags, coaching the State team on two occasions and winning State's B & F he was awarded legend status in the Tasmanian Hall of Fame.

Played State football for Vic and Tassie on 7 occasions.

Not only a premiership player but put up when it counted and where it counted. According to reports on the match in the Geelong Advertiser "John Devine was the star player to half-time"

Devine was a far more important and influential player for our club than Card. And that is not to suggest Ray wasn't a good player.

Assimilate what is written in a post before spreading your football ignorance here.

Did you actually assimilate my post? I acknowledged Devine failed as a coach at the elite level. Repeat! Failed as an elite coach

As for Devine's track record. After a successful Tasmanian playing/coach career, winning three flags, coaching the State team on two occasions and winning State's B & F he was awarded legend status in the Tasmanian Hall of Fame.

Played State football for Vic and Tassie on 7 occasions.

Not only a premiership player but put up when it counted and where it counted. According to reports on the match in the Geelong Advertiser "John Devine was the star player to half-time"

Devine was a far more important and influential player for our club than Card. And that is not to suggest Ray wasn't a good player.

Assimilate what is written in a post before spreading your football ignorance here.

Princess

You stated Devine didn't have much to work with. My comment was in response to that. All the other dribble you posted is irrelevant in regard to that. Finally - If you can find ONE player who played under Devine at Geelong who will tell you he was anything other than a campaigner of a coach, I'll pay for your membership to Fernwood for the year.

Princess

You stated Devine didn't have much to work with. My comment was in response to that. All the other dribble you posted is irrelevant in regard to that. Finally - If you can find ONE player who played under Devine at Geelong who will tell you he was anything other than a campaigner of a coach, I'll pay for your membership to Fernwood for the year.
As if someone who lives in California would have a clue what the players thought of Devine as a coach.

I repeat. I said Devine was not a success as an elite coach. Probably pointless AGAIN drawing it to your attention as you clearly have enormous trouble with assimilating information.

He was, however, an extremely good player. One who Davis rated highly and whose record shows his on-field value. Despite your closed minded prejudice.

As Thomas Paine wrote: “To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, .......................... is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavouring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

Now go away.

Any one know where Burbury and Hamling ended up?

Think it was the right call on Burbury, but not sure on Hamling. Perhaps the lack of Interest from another club indicates that right call. Be interested to see how both go at next clubs, whether they are.

Hamling went to the Western Bulldogs

its very possible he will play rd 1 for them.

And if he didn't play all NAB id be shocked.

Go Catters

Any one know where Burbury and Hamling ended up?

Think it was the right call on Burbury, but not sure on Hamling. Perhaps the lack of Interest from another club indicates that right call. Be interested to see how both go at next clubs, whether they are.
Not sure where Burbury ended up, but saw him in the gym here in Hobart about a week after he was delisted. Poor kid looked pretty bummed out and didn't hang around for too long. Probably didn't help that one of the TVs was tuned into Fox Footy.

Rather glad to be proven as misinformed on Hamling (that he actually did get picked up by an AFL Club). Hope he gets chances and does well (but not to champion level or I will indulge in some prolonged indignant "I f***en told you so" dummy spitting!).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Used to see Jason Snell at Uni back in the day... sad Football story, great bloke though.

He is. I met him at a MelCats function where he was MC along with Max Rooke and Moons.
We had a good chat and he shouted me a few beers.
The number one way to go up in my estimation.;)

good to see Mitch Brown get a (temporary) go at the Bombers for NAB Challenge. Right decision to let him go, but you hope that the players that have been delisted get another chance and/or find good homes somewhere, be it other AFL clubs, VFL, interstate or otherwise.

Would be grateful if some kind soul could indicate where the players let go over last two seasons ended up (no need of course for Bundy and Varcoe). Appreciate that this info might be in a number of different spots on the site.

What a terrible photo though , looks like a scrawny kid rather than someone who has done ( with interruptions) several AFL preseasons.

Not interested.

Seriously though, I don't think we ever saw the best of him. Friends of mine whose kids went to school with him(Scotch College) swear he was a super talent back then.
Some kids peak early but lose it through lack of application and hard work. Perhaps he's one of these?
The AFL are keen to grab hold of these young indigenous boys in particular, with their lightning reflexes and skills, and turn them into superstars. If they can get them into their academies early enough, they (the AFL) might succeed. So many of them are lost to the game, unfortunately.

Some kids peak early but lose it through lack of application and hard work. Perhaps he's one of these?
The AFL are keen to grab hold of these young indigenous boys in particular, with their lightning reflexes and skills, and turn them into superstars. If they can get them into their academies early enough, they (the AFL) might succeed. So many of them are lost to the game, unfortunately.

id say tearing the hamstrings completely off the bone in the middle of a game id say would be the reason there. Horrific injury that killed his career.

GO Catters

id say tearing the hamstrings completely off the bone in the middle of a game id say would be the reason there. Horrific injury that killed his career.

GO Catters
:( I didn't have any memory of that incident, Daz. Yes- that would surely do it!
Great to know that he's still out there playing the game, albeit at a lower level. He must really love it, to have returned after an horrific injury like that.

He is. I met him at a MelCats function where he was MC along with Max Rooke and Moons.
We had a good chat and he shouted me a few beers.
The number one way to go up in my estimation.;)
Li'l Bro! I met up with Jason Snell again for a coffee in Hawthorn today. Going gangbusters and moving along in the corporate world. Was interviewing him for an article in our local Footy Record in YVMDFL (Jason is the son of Upwey President, Ian).
He is still passionate about The Cats and hopes to get more involved in the business side of The Cats in the future. He is on the Cats Sports Foundation Board, but wants to do more. Would be a huge asset with his background, passion and experience. Living just the right side of the Yarra, too!
Great to catch up with him again.

GO Catters
Daz, are you sure you don't mean Ranga Edwickarama or whatever his name was?

And iirc, Adam Varcoe injured ACL & hamstring too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back