Where to next?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ching

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2003
Other Teams
Bulldogs
The way things are going it doesn't look like we can take much out of season 2004. We have very few injuries and probably playing as bad as in worst parts of 2003.

This question may have been asked before but I definetely need something to cheer me up and maybe others need a reason to buy a membership.

What needs to happen for us to get the most out of what left in 2004 and go into 2005 confidently?

(Please skip the obvious Sack Rohde - we all want to happened but unless he resigns it ain't)

In terms of game results - "winnable" games are v Collingwood, Hawthorn and maybe one of Essendon/Kangaroos. Anything beyond that would be a bonus, anything less than 3 wins we are in Hawthorn's class (if not there already).

In terms of personnel - if Rhode stays, an experienced assistant (and I mean one who has spent more 3-5 years in the AFL coaching system as an assitant elsewhere, discount to 2-3 years if spent time under Sheedy/Matthews/Malthouse). If Rhode goes, a senior coach who comes in with a broom and overhauls the coaching dept and player list.

Playing personnel:

Harris at FB (obviously)
CHB - give Morgan several consecutive games there to see if he can cut it and give Grant a break. At least then we know if Morgan is good enough (I only see value in him in defence, definitely not a forward).
Key forwards - for a few weeks, play Darcy as permanent FF, Bowden alongside him in a pcket. Play Rawlings and Skipper as twin CHFs, both able to lead up the ground and move their opponents into open spaces where one-on-one contests occur, so no extra defender jumping over the top of Rawlings. If Bandy is fit, rotate him thorugh as a CHF as well, but I see more value at this stage of the season in getting game time in a set position into Skipper.
Ruck - if Darcy and Bandy are forwward, ruck Minson a lot, with spells from Darcy and Skipper (and Bandy). Could use Street off the bench, but the match committee must know his capabilities by now - the option here would be to ruck Minson and Street and leave Darcy and Skipper forward (we could actually use that much-espoused height advantage which we seemd to have pre-season but has not really surfaced since!)
Third tall defender - McGuiness to play 3-4 (full) games in this role - see if he is up to it. (And yes, I realise these options mean there is no spot for Harro - but I accept the inevitable that he won't be there next year, so may as well make way now - sorry Harro).
Harro/Garlick/Croft - one farewell game each, home "winnable" game to at least milk some emotion . Harrison is an incumbent, so he may as well go first v Collingwood. Crofty farewell v Hawthorn, and Garlick v Kangaroos (only game for each of them for remainder of the season).
Johnson/Smith - Johnno FP, Smith on a wing (on opposite sides of the ground for all those clique conspiracy theorists - myself included). They can swap b/w the two possies, and use experience in both possies to kick into the forward line or kick goals.
Centreline - West in the centre. If he needs a break, Cooney in the centre. One wing already taken care of by Smith/Johnson - so give the other wing to Hargrave (2-3 games), Ray (3-4 games). Also maybe Power for a game or two.
Mid-field/onballers - McMahon/Cross/Guido (if shoulder ok)/Eagleton/Faulkner predominantly, and others as needed for general rotation.
Non-tall defenders - Murphy (plays tight), Koops (for attacking/rebounding), Gilbee, Birss
Small forwards - Johnno (see above), Robbins, Faulkner.
Hahn - use in the mid-field if appropriate match-up, otherwise where required (back or forward) as he is adaptable WITHIN a game, which I do not believe some of our other players are.
Boyd - also can be used in a variety of roles (back, mid-field forward - kicked goals in his first few games).

This is a list of my suggestions - others may differ and fair enough. I only make these because some young players would get extended time in fixed roles rather than being thrown around, which is not helping their development and occurring too early in their careers for the younger ones. If they are told they will have 2/3/4/5 weeks in a role to develop in it, may give them some confidence, rather than worrying about being dragged/dropped.

If I have missed anyone let me know - but have deliberately left out Walsh and B.Murphy as I have not seen enough of them and am not sure how ready they are - Murphy could be another option for rotation thorugh the mid-field perhaps??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back