Which player would you trust with your life?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I'd rather not have to make the choice, but if I have to, let's recruit Tory Dickson over the off-season.

Otherwise Jack for me. The goal against Carlton was a beauty, but also don't forget he kicked two rippers in the last quarter against Geelong last year in the 1st Semi. As things unfolded later, without them we would have been totally demoralised if we'd lost to Geelong that night.

If it was from my old club, Fitzroy, Tony Ongarello would have been my choice. I'd have just put the blindfold on and gone straight out and stood against the wall in front of the firing squad.

On second thoughts, no, I'd have handed the pill to the great Bernie "Superboot" Quinlan. Sorry to bring in another team.

If it was from my old club, Fitzroy, Tony Ongarello would have been my choice. I'd have just put the blindfold on and gone straight out and stood against the wall in front of the firing squad.

On second thoughts, no, I'd have handed the pill to the great Bernie "Superboot" Quinlan. Sorry to bring in another team.

You guys had heaps back in BQ's day. Richard Osborne was a virtual lock, as was Wilson, and you had guys like Bernie Harris and Micky Conlon goaling on the run at will.

As for us now.......

Set shot: Higgins
On the run: JMac

Since 1970......

Set shot: Sav Rocca
On the run: Peter German (The greatest)

And Tony Ongarello was a full forward wasn't he? I seem to recall he contemplated the place kick at one stage and at another stage he considered gluing carpet or underfelt onto the toe of his right footy boot.

As for Bernie "Superboot" Quinlan - nightmares. He was one of those blokes that we had no match up for. He could kick a looong way and straight too. I remember one game at the St Kilda ground where he had a shot from the wing, roughly between the stands, towards the Fitzroy St goal. I reckon it needed an 80 metre kick and Bernie went with a torp that hit the goalpost half way up and nearly broke the bloody thing in half. He was kicking with a healthy northerly but it was still a 90+ metre kick. Andy Swallow would need two and a half kicks to get there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Tony Ongarello was a full forward wasn't he? I seem to recall he contemplated the place kick at one stage and at another stage he considered gluing carpet or underfelt onto the toe of his right footy boot.

As for Bernie "Superboot" Quinlan - nightmares. He was one of those blokes that we had no match up for. He could kick a looong way and straight too. I remember one game at the St Kilda ground where he had a shot from the wing, roughly between the stands, towards the Fitzroy St goal. I reckon it needed an 80 metre kick and Bernie went with a torp that hit the goalpost half way up and nearly broke the bloody thing in half. He was kicking with a healthy northerly but it was still a 90+ metre kick. Andy Swallow would need two and a half kicks to get there.

That was Tony Mr R. He could take a screamer in the goal square and go back and miss from point blank range. he is credited with being the last player to use the place kick after missing several shots with old style punt kicks, he kicked two using the place kick. It will never happen in today's football but for blokes with chronic kicking actions it takes out the ball drop, which creates for so many the problem with kicking accurately. Somewhat ironic that Rugby, where the ball is run down the ground, utilises the place kick to convert after a try.

As for Bernie, he was an absolute champion. Very accurate shot from a long range. I remember in the 1983 qualifying final against Hawthorn, in the last quarter he almost single handedly dragged the Roys across the line, only to be cruelly denied by a shocking deliberate out of bounds given by an umpire (before they were sponsored by OPSM, not that that has changed anything) against Michael Nettlefold which led to Hawthorn kicking the winning goal. I like to think that if we had won that game we would have won the flag that year, because we had the wood over North, who we would have played in the 2nd semi final, and I'm tipping we would have won our way through to the GF.

Who knows how history might have changed if that decision hadn't gone against us in 1983. Not that I am in any way still bitter about it. :mad: :eek: :thumbsdown: :rolleyes:

Big Bad Lindsay Thomas for me. That goal he kicked after the siren Sat night vs Carl was a real crutch goal. LT would've known thousands of people would've backed us to win by 10goals plus and that kick sealed the deal.
Thanks LT - that goal pays my kids school fees for the year. Thanks Champ.

Jack for sure , you can tell he just loves the big moments & wants the ball when the game is on the line .

Scotty McMahon when he was played as a forward . His kicking for goal was a thing of beauty .

Depends if the player in question new what was at stake or not....... JZ would rise to the occasion. I'd hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back