Which R0 premos are you picking and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm interested in how many R0 players folks are going with, and who they are choosing.

For me, I struggle to assemble more than 5 premos with the 2024 bye fixture.

I'd love to add a Coleman, a Green, or a Gulden, but I just find it too hard to justify when there's 1-bye equivalents available.

These are the ones I'm currently rolling with:

Daicos - a genuine captain option in a year where there's not a heap of rolled gold def premo options
Gawn - the most historically reliable ruck option of those currently available, now with no job sharing
Grundy - the best value proven tier 1 ruck option, now with no job sharing
Touk- one of the most reliable scorers in the comp, consummate pro, now at a budget price
Sexy Flanders - everyone saw what he was becoming last year, Dimma says he's his new Dusty, and nothing I've seen in 2024 has made me doubt he'll be a bad pick.

What about you?

I'm interested in how many R0 players folks are going with, and who they are choosing.

I'd love to add a Coleman, a Green, or a Gulden, but I just find it too hard to justify when there's 1-bye equivalents available.

Daicos - a genuine captain option in a year where there's not a heap of rolled gold def premo options
Gawn - the most historically reliable ruck option of those currently available, now with no job sharing
Touk- one of the most reliable scorers in the comp, consummate pro, now at a budget price
Sexy Flanders - everyone saw what he was becoming last year, Dimma says he's his new Dusty, and nothing I've seen in 2024 has made me doubt he'll be a bad pick.

What about you?
Currently Coleman, Petracca, Grundy, Gawn, Flanders. Could see Daicos being added as well come round 1.

What about you?
Good thread, essentially the reason has to be upside or durability over the non Rd0 players or you are behind.

I've got yours + Trac at this stage. I see perfect age, elite durability and pre season plus potentially an increase in CBAs on last yrs 61% with some pieces moving on. Either way he can and always does score at an elite rate fwd. If no increase in CBAs a decent chance he can get DPP so one or the other. People may have to force him in if DPP so good to be ahead of that.

Gawn, Grundy and Flanders.

Trying to keep it as limited as possible. Really don't want to pick Taylor Adams, but he is probably the only other one in consideration after the news (but would probably rather a Sheldrick/James Jordon).

Edit: Should read the thread and add why. My view is that unless you view the player as smashing all other players at a premium plrice, just pick a non-bye player option. You are just giving away free points that you don't need to. Absolutely fine if you think there are 5/6 players like that, but otherwise, it seems like an easy way to lock in points and giving yourself more flexibility in key trade weeks.

Last edited:
Locked - Naicos, Coleman, Grundy, Flanders. Coleman a bit iffy but I swore I’d take him after his finals and finish to 2023. The other 3 are musts in their position IMO. Gawn I am steering clear of because I’m president of the Hodor fan club.

Maybe - Macrae or Gibcus, probably not both, let’s see who plays

Locks - Gawn, Grundy, Flanders
Probably - Duckcos - mainly cause I'm not starting Bont and don't want too many uber's to chase through the year. Ownership is through the roof.
Yep good call on not chasing through the yr. Happy to pay a touch of overs or miss an extra bye if it means more flex bringing players in later

Yep good call on not chasing through the yr. Happy to pay a touch of overs or miss an extra bye if it means more flex bringing players in later
Hard to fade him at 64%. Risk is he doesn't drop much (if at all) and you're pretty much forced to get him after his bye at a huge cost. Of course if he drops $100k it's a bad pick, but not many are winning there if that ownership holds.

Locks: Gawn, Grundy, Flanders

99% lock: Daicos. I mainly focus on my cash league even though that does seem to result in decent overall ranks, I can’t imagine not having Daicos for half the season.

Tempted to start but probably won’t: Whitfield and Gulden

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like every man and his dog, have locked Gawn, Grundy, Flanders and will most likely take Naicos.

That said, depending on Rd 0 I might be swayed on one of Green/Touk, as I only have Flanders off that week.

Premo locks: Daicos, Gawn, Grundy, Flanders.

Rookie locks: Sexton.

Tempting premo-mid: Touk, Coleman, Billings. Jordon

Tempting rookies: Gibcus, Macrae

Rookies don't really matter with byes given best 18, really just 1 less warm body

The only time I'd be super worried is if it's 3 or more premos in the same week. Most have Grundy / Daicos which makes it tough to look at Gulden or other Swans / Pie premos. A Flanders / Touk combo creates a similar issue

gawn - value keeper
grundy - value and potential keeper
flanders - clear best forward premium and value at price
adams - next best forward premium, value at price, prefer to start injury prone players than trade them in, likely to have improved scoring early with parker and mills missing
dunkley - scored better without ashcroft last year, seems the safest bet of mids between 600-650k and think he will have more license to hunt the ball this year due to neale's interrupted preseason

Gotta be significantly underpriced to entertain anyone with a double bye.

I've got the obvious 3 that everyone else does in Gawn, Grundy and Flanders.

Very keen to see how Baker goes tonight, like the idea of starting him as a defender to avoid those stinky KPD rookie scores, and then switching him forward once McKertcher and NMartin types pick up DPP.

I really wanna pick Tom Green but I just can't, 2 byes in the first 12 weeks is a nightmare.

Gawn, Grundy, Flanders, Daicos.

Different versions of my team have included Touk, but he's the only other that's a chance. Not going any more than five at most.

Last edited:
I really wanna pick Tom Green but I just can't, 2 byes in the first 12 weeks is a nightmare.
That, and the GWS factor.

GWS midfielders that have played every game in a season over the last five years (including finals, because I can't be bothered drilling into individual game logs):
  • Callan Ward (2022)
  • Callan Ward (2021)
  • Tim Taranto (2021)
  • Tim Taranto (2019)
Using a midfield that has been relatively healthy as a comparative example (Melbourne):
  • Christian Petracca (2023)
  • Ed Langdon (2023)
  • Christian Petracca (2022)
  • Angus Brayshaw (2022)
  • Christian Petracca (2021)
  • Clayton Oliver (2021)
  • Angus Brayshaw (2021)
  • James Jordon (2021)
  • Christian Petracca (2020)
  • Clayton Oliver (2020)
  • Ed Langdon (2020)
  • Christian Petracca (2019)
  • Clayton Oliver (2019)
  • James Harmes (2019)
  • Angus Brayshaw (2019)
  • Nathan Jones (2019)
Obviously there's no exact science to this, I'm just reinforcing my own decision to finally swear off GWS mids lol. Every year, they kill me.

Difficult keeping them down. Currently have a few

N. Daicos - Feels too good to leave out.
Grundy - Under-priced ruck difficult to leave out of any side.
Flanders - Could potentially be one of the best scoring forwards.
Sheldrick - Great money making potential if he hits 90-100 each week based on last seasons cameo. Although, it's great we get a free look at him against Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back