Votes: 17 2.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 126 19.1%
  • One of the rest

Votes: 17 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Red time is the worry. Seemed to be getting blown out late in quarters
The scoreboard flattered us. That should have been a 100 point demolition job, they missed some absolute sitters. We had close to our best 22 playing.

Imagine we had St Kilda‘s injury list with 15 players unavailable for selection.

The scoreboard flattered us. That should have been a 100 point demolition job, they missed some absolute sitters. We had close to our best 22 playing.

Imagine we had St Kilda‘s injury list with 15 players unavailable for selection.

That’s a good point…other than Mitch Lewis and Scrimshaw, we were at full strength on Sunday. We would have one one of the best injury lists in the league currently.

St Kilda have 14 players on their injury list, including 30% of their best team. Their forward line on the weekend had the likes of Zaine Cordy and Caminiti and they beat a supposed quality side.

Even if they lost, their supporters would have gone home somewhat satisfied with their effort.

When you’re “rebuilding” it’s all about how you lose..the way we lost on Sunday was incredibly worrying and hopefully its a rare occurrence.

We didn't have our two best forwards either tbf, we might have won it by that much if they were in

With Mitch Lewis suffering a setback in his recovery from his knee injury, I think we should be clear favourites for the spoon. Can’t see Lewis playing until the earliest round 10 when we will most likely be 1-9 or 2-8. He will take 3-4 weeks to get back to full match fitness as well.

Still think Hawks and North are the front runners. West Coast also look bad but I'm thinking they should win at least a few games at home, I'm not sold on North after one game where they just scraped by against them in Melbourne.

Hawks look a shambles at the moment, they lack leadership, experience and have lost a lot of talent over the last few years that is going to take some time to replace. Missing Lewis for the first third of the season isn't going to do them any favours either when they're already stretched for talent. They absolutely smashed Port last year though so I've seen first hand that they're very capable on their day.

North have got a good young player in Sheezel and Wardlaw still to come in, their midfield looks not too bad really but I think they are still a little young and unexperienced and will lack consistency. They have a gun key forward in Larkey and solid to good Key defender in Mckay if he can stay on the park, so if they keep this group together I think they have a lot to look forward to and the foundation is set to build around, even if they finish bottom again.
Although they will want these young guys to come on quickly with Shiels, Ziebell, Cunnington Greenwood and Goldstein all coming towards the end of their careers.
Also a bit of a worry Kayne Turner is still a starting 18 player.

I'm going

16.West Coast
17. Hawks
18. North

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still think Hawks and North are the front runners. West Coast also look bad but I'm thinking they should win at least a few games at home, I'm not sold on North after one game where they just scraped by against them in Melbourne.

Hawks look a shambles at the moment, they lack leadership, experience and have lost a lot of talent over the last few years that is going to take some time to replace. Missing Lewis for the first third of the season isn't going to do them any favours either when they're already stretched for talent. They absolutely smashed Port last year though so I've seen first hand that they're very capable on their day.

North have got a good young player in Sheezel and Wardlaw still to come in, their midfield looks not too bad really but I think they are still a little young and unexperienced and will lack consistency. They have a gun key forward in Larkey and solid to good Key defender in Mckay if he can stay on the park, so if they keep this group together I think they have a lot to look forward to and the foundation is set to build around, even if they finish bottom again.
Although they will want these young guys to come on quickly with Shiels, Ziebell, Cunnington Greenwood and Goldstein all coming towards the end of their careers.
Also a bit of a worry Kayne Turner is still a starting 18 player.

I'm going

16.West Coast
17. Hawks
18. North

I agree with your point about West Coast.

Yeo is a key piece for them and with Ginbey adding a similar defensive edge to Yeo and Nic Nat returning, their midfield is solid as Shuey is still more than decent.

Allen returning adds a different dimension to their forward line. Allen, Darling, Ryan and Cripps is still a forward line capable of kicking a winning score.

McGovern and Barass are obviously still a top line KPD duo.

Their holes are more in depth/flank areas and they need a good run with injuries.

I think they will win 3-4 at home this year.

Red time is the worry. Seemed to be getting blown out late in quarters
That's what happens with very young sides. Their mids collectively just don't have those multiple pre-seasons under their belt so can get outworked by more experienced opponents in red time.

As the season wears on the problem will get worse, as the kids tire without that solid base to work from.

A quarter of the way in iss a reasonable time to revisit this thread. The AFL did most of the spoon favourites a favour via scheduling early matches against each other.

The three faves in the poll have done little to suggest they will climb from the bottom three by seasons end. The three dozen or so who tipped the Don's are wearing some egg.

Each of the Hawks, North and West Coast can point to some improvements though each has suffered some embarrassing results with the suggestion of more come.

The Hawks. ave copped some fierce poundings but a good win v North and a near result v GWS suggest green shoots. Though their talented kids may tire I reckon they have 2 or 3 wins in them.

North started well but have arguably reverted to type. One maybe two more wins but a better % than 2022.

I reckon West Coast will jag 3-4 more wins all at home, so will narrowly escape the spoon their poor list and fitness management regimes arguably deserve.

At this stage I am tipping North and the Hawks to finish level on points with North completing the 3peat on %.

At this stage I am tipping North and the Hawks to finish level on points with North completing the 3peat on %.
Excited Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

The Hawks. ave copped some fierce poundings but a good win v North and a near result v GWS suggest green shoots. Though their talented kids may tire I reckon they have 2 or 3 wins in them.
This is fair based on this 1st qtr of the season. I think the WCE game in Tassie is winnable, plus a few shocks down the road.

We seem to also have a good record after the Bye for in the past few years for whatever reason. We'll see if that continues at all.

Bottom 3 seems a lock (imo) though of Hawks, WCE, North

Edit: In terms of other teams which have been really underwhelming, I'd say GWS, Freo & Gold Coast have all been really poor so far

2 kicks the other way and they’d be 18th
But that's not what has happened. We won those 2 games. Either way the Carlton and Hawthorn games were both really winnable but we threw them away either due to inaccuracy or our 2 best midfielders missing.

Swings and round abouts. 2 wins seems about right.

Back