Opinion Who has the least promising list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Scully 31

Debutant
Jun 16, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Red Sox
Who has the least promising list?

Taking a few factors into account which team has the worst list going forward
  • Age of current top players
  • Amount of future stars on there lists
  • Key Position players
  • An effective game plan
I am aware that West Coast does have a KPP in Josh Kennedy and a future ruckman in Nic Nat. I think they have many players who cannot kick the ball to a satisfactory level.
Other clubs that come to mind are

Port Adelaide
Brisbane (Because in 4-5 years Brown, Fevola, Black and Power will be gone)

Thoughts?

Not trying to be bias. But how could someone say Melbourne? We have so many young kids that are only going to get better. So with the tigers. Eagles and Brisbane are the two for mine.

Brisbane has some guns coming through- Rockliff, Redden, Leuenberger, Banfield.

Port don't have much, Travis Boak aside. Butcher is untested, Hartlett should be decent, but other than that there isn't a whole lot. For me they have *the* dud list, at present there don't look like too many stars coming out of their current playing group.

Not trying to be bias. But how could someone say Melbourne? We have so many young kids that are only going to get better. So with the tigers. Eagles and Brisbane are the two for mine.

Agree totally about Melb, Eagles development isn't too good at the moment, they got a lot of "could've been" players, but a few are too young to write off at the moment. Brisbane took a punt and built a list to contend for a Premiership, but that isn't working too well, Rockliff and Banfield are great prospects, but not enough young quality to suddenly replace the ageing midfield and forwards, can't comment too much on their young KP stocks, Leuey doing well so Clark may need to play forward more and not sure on Cornelius (sp?).

I'm not meaning to be crude here...But NicNat i don't believe is a star just yet...he will have one good quarter every so often. This does not represent a star of our game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast are in a heavy rebuilding phase and not everyone is going to come off.

Brisbane to me have potential issues in 4-5 years. They won't get the picks to replace the stars.

The poll shows a clear trend. What do the four 'favourites' have in common? They happen to be the teams which dominated the league for about a decade prior to the last few years!

Essendon - Finals 1998-2004, GF 2000-2001, Premiers 2000

Brisbane Lions - Finals 1999-2004, GF 2001-2004, Premiers 2001-2003

Port Adelaide - Finals 1999, 2001-2005, 2007, GF 2004, 2007, Premiers 2004

West Coast - Finals 2002-2007, GF 2005-2006, Premiers 2006

These four sides do have poor lists relative to the rest of the league simply because they were competing in finals and winning flags whilst teams like Geelong, St Kilda, Fremantle, Hawthorn, Carlton and the Western Bulldogs were building up their playing stocks. It's the way it's meant to be and shows the system is working.

Brisbane has some guns coming through- Rockliff, Redden, Leuenberger, Banfield.

Port don't have much, Travis Boak aside. Butcher is untested, Hartlett should be decent, but other than that there isn't a whole lot. For me they have *the* dud list, at present there don't look like too many stars coming out of their current playing group.

Gray(Gun if can get his body right),Krakeour,Boak(quality youngster), Hartlett(potential superstar) banner, broadbent, moore(pick 9 in 09), pittard(pick 16 in 09),jackson trengrove(pick 22 in 08) john butcher(pick 8 in 09)

Yes we do have alot of spuds logan,nash,carr etc butt there is some quality

These things are hard to predict because so much can change in a year or two, but I'd say Essendon are a lock for bottom 4 while Knights is there. It's painful watching them. Reminds me of the way Choco had our team play in the last 3-4 years.

Hopefully we'll see some shepherding and all the other stuff that went missing for so many years with our new coach.

Definitely Carlton. They can't kick goals because they destroyed their once fantastic forward line, have the most overrated midfield in the competition and a hopeless backline.

Brisbane, probably. A couple of good young players on their list, but mainly full of aging players that don't seem to be pulling their weight.

Port have much the same problem. A couple of good youngsters, but most of the team are aging, and not playing too well at the moment.

Essendon, whilst younger overall (probably - seems that way), lack any genuine up-and-coming talent. Some good players, not enough.

For me its Essendon easily, Watson is there quality player the rests are average players at best. I dont understand how every essendon supporter i speak to wants Kinights gone because they think hes ruining there list. I think he did amazing to get them to the finals last year. I asked an Essendon supporter who he thinks there stars are matched against other clubs. He said Watson obviously, but then winderlich, paddy ryder, david hille, stanton, welsh.
All these players contribute but if theyre your stars,your struggling. Ryder should be so much better than he is, to inconsistent. The rest all pop up every now and then but b graders at best.

Richmonds stars in Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Deledio, Newman, Foley. Missed any? Those top players are much better than essendons.

Sorry to say but Bombers are going no where.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back