Who is THE fastest player in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was talking about all round athletic ability, not football ability.

Oh and I totally forgot about Franklin. Complete freak. Another Essendon supporter was talking to David Myers one sponsors night about his 400m time. Myers said he ran a time of 51 in juniors, which is pretty bloody good for a junior. However, he said Franklin ran one in 49 seconds. Which is freakish for a kid. Lets not forget though that Bolt is 196cm too.

Thats not THAT quick, depending on your definition of juniors.

When was 17 in year 12 I ran 51.9 for 400m and ran 4th at my own school carnival and didn't even get a run the inter-school carnival. Bloke in my grade ran 3rd in the GPS (Brisbane APS equivalent) and ran 49.9.

I reckon Buddy would have been a sub 49 runner without a problem in the world.

Dennis Armfield has run down Dangerfield twice tonight in the first quarer and got him holding the ball.

Guess you gotta add him to the list of possibles.

Shaun Burgoyne is deceptively quick. He has a loping action but has rarely got caught when he goes for a run. He did a 5 bounce run and goal at footy park port v collingwood in 2004 or 2005 and looked like he was jogging but 2 or 3 collingwood blokes couldn't catch him.

Look at this footage from last years GF and Lewis Jetta's run on the outer wing by the boundary line. Cyril couldn't catch him but Burgoyne comes from 10m back and having to run from maybe 20m inside the boundary line on a 45 degree angle, starts off jogging, then turns on the after burners to almost catch him.

Shaun Burgoyne is deceptively quickly. He has a loping action but has rarely got caught when he goes for a run. He did a 5 bounce run and goal at footy park v collingwood in 2004 or 2005 and looked like he was jogging but 2 or 3 collingwood blokes couldn't catch him.

Look at this footage from last years GF and Lewis Jetta's run on outer wing by the boundary line. Cyril couldn't catch him but Burgoyne comes from 10m back and having to run from maybe 20m inside the boundary line on a 45 degree angle, starts of jogging, then turns on the after burners to almost catch him.

Good call. Looks to do it so effortlessly

Yeah Armfield has always been very quick, just showing off tonight. The Blues could be devastating with a counter attack type style - have Walker, Betts, Garlett, Simpson, Armfield and even Yarran running onto the fall of the ball into an empty inside 50.

That brings me to an interesting question - which team would win a 4x100 relay? Bit hard to do 20-50m relays, so even though they are the most relevant sprinting distances to AFL, we will stick with this.

Sydney - Jetta, Goodes, R.Shaw, Rohan
Carlton - Armfield, Garlett, Yarran, Betts
Hawks - Burgoyne, Rioli, Franklin, B.Hill

Any more clubs? Did I get the above 3 teams right?

Yeah Armfield has always been very quick, just showing off tonight. The Blues could be devastating with a counter attack type style - have Walker, Betts, Garlett, Simpson, Armfield and even Yarran running onto the fall of the ball into an empty inside 50.

That brings me to an interesting question - which team would win a 4x100 relay? Bit hard to do 20-50m relays, so even though they are the most relevant sprinting distances to AFL, we will stick with this.

Sydney - Jetta, Goodes, R.Shaw, Rohan
Carlton - Armfield, Garlett, Yarran, Betts
Hawks - Burgoyne, Rioli, Franklin, B.Hill

I'd slot in Lucas who is finally using his pace and showing players a clean set of heels.

Shaun Burgoyne is deceptively quick. He has a loping action but has rarely got caught when he goes for a run. He did a 5 bounce run and goal at footy park port v collingwood in 2004 or 2005 and looked like he was jogging but 2 or 3 collingwood blokes couldn't catch him.

Look at this footage from last years GF and Lewis Jetta's run on the outer wing by the boundary line. Cyril couldn't catch him but Burgoyne comes from 10m back and having to run from maybe 20m inside the boundary line on a 45 degree angle, starts off jogging, then turns on the after burners to almost catch him.

Angle of boundary line is deceptive, forcing Jetta to run towards Burgoyne a bit. And Jetta had just run 50m. And he was slowing down to look for a player to kick to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Angle of boundary line is deceptive, forcing Jetta to run towards Burgoyne a bit. And Jetta had just run 50m. And he was slowing down to look for a player to kick to.

So what, it doesn't deny the fact that Burgoyne is deceptively quick. Jetta when he does his second bounce runs towards the boundary line as he hopes the swan player partly blocks Rioli and then basically runs straight down the boundary line.

Plus if you study the 10m splits of 100m runners, as I have for 20+ years, you see they hit maximum velocity between 50m and 70m. Its about who decelerates the least, between 70m and 100m that win 100m races, not someone accelerating those final 30m to win. I am assuming Jetta runs a decent 100m based on his run against collingwood in the prelim final and other long runs I have seen him do.

Come on everyone, this is easy, so easy!!!!!!

It is a Hawthorn player. Just like any other 'name the best .....' thread, the answer is definitely a Hawthorn player. Buddy, Cyril, Schoenmakers, it doesnt matter. They are all faster, better and smarter than your teams players.

If you can come up with a statistic to say that another player in the league is quicker, you are using the wrong stat! If we are talking about the quickest over 20m and someone else has a better time, well....................we should be talking about closing speed. Closing speed is something which is immeasurable, but it is OBVIOUS that Cyril is the best. EVER!!!!! If you are talking about the quickest over 100m, well Buddy is clearly the quickest over 6 foot 4 who has an arm tattoo and owns his own clothing brand! BUDDY IS THE QUICKEST, hear me!!!!!! Forget the Grand Final and Jetta, I dont see what that has to do with speed anyway. It is clear to anyone who knows anything that Rioli had just performed match winning and humanly impossible feats which had slowed his top speed temporarily when he tried to chase down Jetta.

Now that it is clear to you all that Hawthorn players are the quickest, lets make some other comparisons league-wide. Lets get started on the AFLs best captain.......HODGEY!!!! What about the best forward? Buddy, Rioli, Gunston......you name them, they are better than your teams players....you just wish you had them, and if you dont admit it, you are just jealous. Who is the best midfielder in the league? Pfffttttttt Mitchell, Sewell, Rioli, Hodge.....all of them should be multiple Brownlow medalists!!! Best young defender????? Schoenmakers. Forget his actual performance, the upside is HUGE!!!!!!

I just cant believe that we dominate every position on the field and are the only team not to be using PEDs. Remarkable, and just goes to show why Clarko is clearly the best coach in the league!

Now, I just have to work out why us mighty Hawks havent won a premiership since 2008..........

Ahmed Saad has some very serious wheels. Came equal 1st in the 20m sprint times at the 2011 Draft Combine and also 1st in the repeat sprints (and 2nd in the agility test). When he puts his foot down he has a major burst of power and acceleration.

Really liking what I'm seeing from Nathan Wright, who we got with our first pick last year, as well. Spent a bit of time on Lewis Jetta last weekend and at one point was chasing Jetta and was gaining on him and at another point he got the ball himself and saw that it was Jetta a couple of metres behind him, chasing him, but wasn't phased and was prepared to take him on.

Don't know who the fastest is but in terms of who's pace/explosiveness is most useful then as said Jetta and Dangerfield are at the top. Had he not missed last year I think this bloke may have featured more in this topic too:

From Geelong I could give you 3 spots:

Varcoe, Murdoch, T Hunt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back