Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2009
Alice Springs NT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Territory Thunder,Waratahs FC
Hi Sainters I come in peace
Great win last night and better still Carlton have a couple of injuries and Betts should get a holiday.We play them Sunday.
Anyway my Wife is Brazilian and Brazil is a very staunch Catholic Country.
On my several visits there I have promoted Aussie rules and took a few Aussie rules hats and shirts as presents for her Brothers and nephews.
One of her Brothers follows religiously Sa Paulo in the local soccer. Their colours are red white and black so I have given him some Saint Kilda shirts and hats . One thing he wanted to know was who was St Kilda? Not being the religious type by any stretch I couldn't say if there was such a saint or how they actually got their name? I know it is a suburb on the Beach but was there in fact a St Kilda in history?

Great win last night and better still Carlton have a couple of injuries and Betts should get a holiday.We play them Sunday.
On my several visits there I have promoted Aussie rules and took a few Aussie rules hats and shirts as presents for her Brothers and nephews.
One of her Brothers follows religiously Sa Paulo in the local soccer. Their colours are red white and black so I have given him some Saint Kilda shirts and hats . One thing he wanted to know was who was St Kilda? Not being the religious type by any stretch I couldn't say if there was such a saint or how they actually got their name? I know it is a suburb on the Beach but was there in fact a St Kilda in history?
There was no Saint Kilda, the name of the club comes from the name of the suburb which comes from the name of a ship, which comes from the name of an Isle in Scotland whose name is the result of cartographical and transcription errors over 100's of years.

Although it has been joked that Saint Kilda is the patron saint of lost causes.

There was no Saint Kilda, the name of the club comes from the name of the suburb which comes from the name of a ship, which comes from the name of an Isle in Scotland whose name is the result of cartographical and transcription errors over 100's of years.

Patron Saint of narrow misses I think you mean.

LOL!

I was always told that St Kilda was the patron saint of prostitution... & thus so, the suburb is named StKilda due to the many 'ladies of the night' plying their trade in the area :D

Hi Dalphonso,

I'm a Church historian, and I can confirm Ice Wolf's story. The Scottish island of St Kilda was long held by Vikings for strategic purposes, and they named it "Skilda", which in Norse means "Shield", because of it's tactically defensive role. When it eventually was taken back by the Scots, who were Christian, they saw the name, and thought it was "S Kilda" - back then, a Saint was dilineated by a "S", not a "St", so they assumed it must be named after a Saint called Kilda. Being a fair old way from official Church heirarchy in Rome, and thus unable to confirm or deny that there was once a really nice Christian bloke called Kilda, the name stuck.

And, as Ice-Wolf said, somebody named a ship after that, which landed in a then unnamed suburb in Melbourne. They decided to name it after the ship.

Hi Dalphonso,

I'm a Church historian, and I can confirm Ice Wolf's story. The Scottish island of St Kilda was long held by Vikings for strategic purposes, and they named it "Skilda", which in Norse means "Shield", because of it's tactically defensive role. When it eventually was taken back by the Scots, who were Christian, they saw the name, and thought it was "S Kilda" - back then, a Saint was dilineated by a "S", not a "St", so they assumed it must be named after a Saint called Kilda. Being a fair old way from official Church heirarchy in Rome, and thus unable to confirm or deny that there was once a really nice Christian bloke called Kilda, the name stuck.

And, as Ice-Wolf said, somebody named a ship after that, which landed in a then unnamed suburb in Melbourne. They decided to name it after the ship.

And if you venture down Balaclava Road a replica of the ship is on the bridge at the station.

You're all wrong, St Kilda was spotted in the crowd last night

20130514111228.gif

Like the Da Vinci code, the real secret lies not in the obvious but in the hidden meaning. While there was no St. Kilda the clubs official title is "St Kilda Football Club" or St KFC.....

ad-kfc.jpg

There is a reason they use red, black and white as the colours for their logo. Coincidence? I think not!

Anyone else think Colonel Sanders here looks like an older Nick Riewoldt? The hair is a dead giveaway, and he did just marry and American girl (from the south too!) Is there some sort of time travel conspiracy at Seaford?

Then there is the urban legend that the day after announcing his retirement Rob Harvey walked into the Moorabbin branch of KFC and ordered a bucket of skin...

We should get Dan Brown down to the club to uncover the truth!!!!

Hi Dalphonso,

That's funny, I thought the name originated from the old Norse saga of Skrog the Ranga, a renowned Viking hell-raiser who was so delirious one night after eating brightly-coloured mushrooms off the forest floor he went home in a rage to his wife and kilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Dalphonso,

After thinking about this I believe there is a Scottish soccer side called Saint Mirrens? Maybe they are named in similar reasons?

After thinking about this I believe there is a Scottish soccer side called Saint Mirrens? Maybe they are named in similar reasons?
Nup, they're named after St Mirinus of Paisley, an Irish Celtic monk instrumental in the conversion of Scotland. :)

Like the Da Vinci code, the real secret lies not in the obvious but in the hidden meaning. While there was no St. Kilda the clubs official title is "St Kilda Football Club" or St KFC.....

View attachment 18199

There is a reason they use red, black and white as the colours for their logo. Coincidence? I think not!

Anyone else think Colonel Sanders here looks like an older Nick Riewoldt? The hair is a dead giveaway, and he did just marry and American girl (from the south too!) Is there some sort of time travel conspiracy at Seaford?

Then there is the urban legend that the day after announcing his retirement Rob Harvey walked into the Moorabbin branch of KFC and ordered a bucket of skin...

Ooohh conspiracy theories - I like it!! :p

Nup, they're named after St Mirinus of Paisley, an Irish Celtic monk instrumental in the conversion of Scotland. :)

Loving your work.:thumbsu:
I am doing a phd, Brewer's dictionary of Phrase and Fable is always at hand.;)
But you are deep in the knowledge, very impressed!

Hi Dalphonso,

Well done Perse I actually thought that here was a Saint called Kilda.

With the Viking link and shield connection, this leads to possible marketing and publicity ideas for the club. A touch of the Viking ruthless is not a bad thing.

I guess plenty of drunk nuffys used to get in the outer at Moorabin yelling in Nordic tones "comn Skilder"

View attachment 18199

Maybe it's time we gave the Colonel a posthumous #1 membership, then next year elevate him to legend status. Mmmm! KFC

Personally I think we need to distance ourselves from KFC and anything with a reputation for using hormonal supplements.

Are you thinking Carlton and their chicken wing antics, are a more suitable club for KFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back