Bring-Back-Powell

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2005
Seattle
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners
Barring disaster, North, Essendon and Adelaide will play finals in 2014, I think that's fairly obvious.

North- lost about 5 games under 6 points in 2013. Win 3 of those and they're playing finals. Plus north are building a structure as good as anyone in the league. They have all lines covered and should finish 3rd or 4th in 2014.

Essendon -top 4 team until rd 19 this year until the media pressure became too much to handle. Have shown the footy world that this club is easily capable of finals over the last 3 years. Will finish 5th-8th next year.

Adelaide - were the biggest underachievers of 2013. Finished 2nd in 2012 so obviously have the list good enough to play finals next year. Have the best midfield in the afl and finished the season in style with an 11 goal win in against Melbourne and an amazing 85 point over west coast at subi. This team will play finals next year and their supporters are equally as confident - more so than west coast supporters.

So my question to all of you scribes- who will they replace?
I think Richmond, Port and Carlton.

*disclaimer* All of the above depends on injuries.

I don't think it is at all certain that those teams will make the 8. Lots of people had WC as a lock in 2013, look what happened. The most likely to fall out, in order: Carlton, Port Adelaide, Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn, Fremantle

Agreed. Hard to predict where teams like North and Essendon will finish. Heck, West Coast is as good a chance as anyone to make the 8 as well; they had their customary bad odd year and will now surge back up the ladder. Then you have Gold Coast and Brisbane as well.

Tough to pick at this stage. The people answering this question 12 months ago with Adelaide (2nd) and West Coast (5th) would have surely been laughed at, and yet they would have been right. My best guess is that Carlton and Port will drop out (though Port could hold their spot if they have another kind run with injuries). Richmond will definitely stay in on the back of an easy draw. So then it comes down to which of the recent power clubs will slide. IMO, Collingwood is most likely but I could also see Hawthorn having a serious premiership hangover (ala 2009) or Sydney falling apart after a few injuries. Geelong may finally slide after so many years at the top too.
Anyway, it may only be two sides that have to make way if ASADA make a big splash in the next couple of months. 6-10 players get banned (depending on who they are) and Essendon can kiss their finals hopes goodbye.

tl/dr; who f**king knows?

I just can't see Essendon making the 8 this year. Who is going to kick enough goals for them? North I could see. Adelaide I couldn't really see either.

I think Carlton are replaced by North and not much else changes for mine. Collingwood probably slide, whether by enough to drop out or not, hard to say.

I reckon the Bulldogs can finish higher than Carlton, but I think we won't make the 8 in 2014.

Essendon have fallen flat on their face year in, year out. Media pressure is a rubbish excuse

Regardless whether its a valid excuse or not, the media pressure will still be there. Maybe not as Hird focused, but it will be around. Like a bad smell. The media will be watching waiting, for any sniff from Bomberland, any hint of anything ever. Questions will continue to be asked, officially and unofficially, and the entire time, Hirds shadow and his imminent return will hang over the club like a shroud.

I just can't see Essendon making the 8 this year. Who is going to kick enough goals for them? North I could see. Adelaide I couldn't really see either.

I think Carlton are replaced by North and not much else changes for mine. Collingwood probably slide, whether by enough to drop out or not, hard to say.

I reckon the Bulldogs can finish higher than Carlton, but I think we won't make the 8 in 2014.

So Essendon lose one mediocre forward, replace him with a Norm Smith Medalist and we can't kick enough goals? Seriously though; you guys will realise that he's a flat track bully soon

So Essendon lose one mediocre forward, replace him with a Norm Smith Medalist and we can't kick enough goals? Seriously though; you guys will realise that he's a flat track bully soon

Seriously, our forward line is still crap even with Crameri. I think only Gold Coast have a worse forward line in the entire AFL.

As for Chappy, all I can say is T-W-A-N-G. Good luck with that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven't had anyone kick over 40 in a while.... and we were still pretty good in 2013. I'd agree that winning the flag requires at least one decent and performing spearhead, but the eight? Not a concern.

Daniher is there (obviously), and we might (finally) see Hurley play out a full year.

BTW - I do not believe that making the eight is a cert - just addressing your point re: kicking goals.

I also think you can finish above us, but I think both sides will make the 8. The dogs are my bolter this year. Love the way you've made your list. Reckon you dogs supporters have a lot to look forward to.

So because North lost a few close games they are locks for the 8.

8 of 11 of Carltons losses were by under 20 points but they are a lock in to fall dramatically?

How are Adelaide and Essendon locks for the 8 too? Adelaides best KPF will be coming off an ACL, and no one knows how Essendon will go, this saga could appear to go on forever.

Weren't WCE flag favourites before round 1 this year?

I agree that North will make the 8, but it does depend on them learning how to finish off a close game. It's all above the shoulders.

Essendon -top 4 team until rd 19 this year until the media pressure became too much to handle. Have shown the footy world that this club is easily capable of finals over the last 3 years. Will finish 5th-8th next year.

Essendon are a total unknown quantity and could finish anywhere from 1st to 12th.

Adelaide - were the biggest underachievers of 2013. Finished 2nd in 2012 so obviously have the list good enough to play finals next year. Have the best midfield in the afl and finished the season in style with an 11 goal win in against Melbourne and an amazing 85 point over west coast at subi. This team will play finals next year and their supporters are equally as confident - more so than west coast supporters.

Wat.jpg

Adelaide will still rely on Walker who wont be at his best until later in the season coming back from a knee. You're basing their improvement on big wins over one terrible side and one below average side. They'll certainly be in the mix but they are definitely not a lock.

We haven't had anyone kick over 40 in a while.... and we were still pretty good in 2013. I'd agree that winning the flag requires at least one decent and performing spearhead, but the eight? Not a concern.

We had that for most of the 2000s pre-Barry Hall too. Gave it a good shake with Bazza but no dice.

Daniher is there (obviously), and we might (finally) see Hurley play out a full year.

BTW - I do not believe that making the eight is a cert - just addressing your point re: kicking goals.

Do you actually want to see Hurley play perma-forward though? I've seem him look better/more comfortable in the backline than the forwardline.
Looking forward to Daniher growing into his body, but I don't think 2014 is that year. I reckon Dons forwardline is on struggle-street this year, will need midfield to do a lot of goal-kicking and regularly so.

North are probably the best side of the three mentioned - should make finals although you never know given some of the ways they can find to lose

Essendon for some reason get continually overrated in spite of being rubbish for near on a decade and incapable of playing to a high level in the second half of seasons.

Adelaide were pathetic last season, I see no reason why they will play finals in 2014.

Port and Carlton are clearly the most likely to fall out. Then Richmond, Collingwood and Geelong. Richmond are being overrated, Geelong will be inconsistent and aren't a sure thing imo, and Collingwood is getting underrated (history shows that Collingwood makes finals unless the side is really really bad - they won't be really really bad in 2014)

Seriously, our forward line is still crap even with Crameri. I think only Gold Coast have a worse forward line in the entire AFL.

As for Chappy, all I can say is T-W-A-N-G. Good luck with that!

He'll do well against Melbourne, GWS, Gold Coast, St. Kilda etc. but be s**t against anybody else.

Chappy has had one injury interrupted season (where both parties admit to mismanaging the injury). Before then hadn't played under 19 games in a season from '03 onwards

He'll do well against Melbourne, GWS, Gold Coast, St. Kilda etc. but be s**t against anybody else.

Chappy has had one injury interrupted season (where both parties admit to mismanaging the injury). Before then hadn't played under 19 games in a season from '03 onwards

Daisy gets the same treatment, he's had one interrupted year. Pisses me off a lot. You've got a good one in Chappy

Daisy gets the same treatment, he's had one interrupted year. Pisses me off a lot. You've got a good one in Chappy

I'm on the Daisy may not be as good bandwagon, but that's hope more than anything

Have the best midfield in the afl and finished the season in style with an 11 goal win in against Melbourne and an amazing 85 point over west coast at subi.

Sorry but that's not a very convincing argument.

Do you actually want to see Hurley play perma-forward though? I've seem him look better/more comfortable in the backline than the forwardline.
Looking forward to Daniher growing into his body, but I don't think 2014 is that year. I reckon Dons forwardline is on struggle-street this year, will need midfield to do a lot of goal-kicking and regularly so.

Most Essendon fans would disagree with me I think, but I reckon Hurley has two problems as a forward right now.

1) He leads a fraction too soon

2) He hits more than he tackles

Both are easily correctable; I mean we have one of the finest leading forwards in the games history in Lloyd a phonecall away; I reckon we should ask the question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back