Opinion Why the AFL should say sorry to Fitzroy

Remove this Banner Ad

My memory was that the administrator was appointed after the AFL refused to bring forward the payment of the club divided which was requested by the Fitzroy board as the AFL knew this would lead to the administrator being appointed. Nauru was broke and need the money back and Fitzroy couldn't obtain other finance at the time to pay them out.

Interestingly though the AFL has done this numerous times since 1997 to other clubs upon their request.

Here being a more comprehensive and detailed rundown of the AFL's extended and extensive whiteanting campaign against the Roys- first compiled by Roylion and added to a little by me.

Mobbs has also put this up in parts before on the board here under the monicker of the "White-Ant Files".

That is disgraceful. :thumbsdown:

Well said :thumbsu:

It's mindboggling to think about, isn't it. And of course, it all happened exactly as described...

We should never have chosen to leave Victoria Park in reality. We thought we were going to get into bed with a winner in Carlton with the glut of our supporters coming from the Doncaster/Bulleen, Templestowe regions driving straight up the Eastern Freeway - it never eventuated bc we were done over by the Blues who we should never have trusted (Collins / Elliott!!!)

The most untrustworthy club in the afl - they have attempted to get rid of the swans twice. Disgraceful club.

Anyway this thread is eye opening yet very depressing.

Well said :thumbsu:

It's mindboggling to think about, isn't it. And of course, it all happened exactly as described...

I was reading "shake down the thunder" which had a large focus on the swans relocation to sydney. From memory (haven't looked at the book in over a year) but Fitzroy was looking at relocating to sydney in the late 70s and were much better prepared than what we were in 82.

Anyway, you guys were screwed over terribly, it's awful. :thumbsdown:

Anyway, you guys were screwed over terribly, it's awful. :thumbsdown:

Truer words never spoken :thumbsu:

Aside from so many other ways we could have secured our future were it not for AFL interference, as displayed before... if we'd been given reasonable support either in our push towards Tasmania in 1992, or the Canberra move, we'd likely be in the same position Hawthorn are now :eek:

But yeah, it's pretty clear the AFL under Oakley, Samuel and co had decided back around the end of '84 that they didn't want us in the comp.

Still, at least things have been pretty good for us since we've been back on the field again - we've doubled our membership as far as I'm aware (around three & a half thousand now I think), and we're well on our way up the Aussie Rules pyramid in Victoria :)

I wasn't saying you should have moved to sydney, it's just interesting that you guys had the foresight (more so than south melbourne) to consider moving to sydney. We weren't prepared (the afl also made the swans pay for their own flights etc).

I wasn't saying you should have moved to sydney, it's just interesting that you guys had the foresight (more so than south melbourne) to consider moving to sydney. We weren't prepared (the afl also made the swans pay for their own flights etc).

Ah... I didn't actually know about this! Pretty poor act from the AFL there as well.

But obviously, as we know, there were never any depths to which Oakley, Samuel and Collins wouldn't gladly stoop.

That era aside, it's a travesty the proposed North-Fitzroy merger wasn't allowed to go ahead in 1996/7. The Bears would've made it regardless and a viable club in equal partnership would've solved both the Roos and Lions problems.

Well I ended up here after seeing the main board thread about the Fitzroy chant on the weekend. By the way I love that old Fitzroy strip, it looks fantastic. Like many at the time I just assumed Fitzroy just drove itself into the ground financially and that was that (Not that I was at all happy about you being kicked out - and its why I hold nothing but contempt for the nuffies who continually will North Melbourne to go the same way).

Anyway Im waffling but reading the white ant list has left me gobsmacked. Sadly there's no way the current AFL administration is ever going to do the right thing and apologise. Too busy funneling unlimited dollars into soulless franchises and saving the children from twitter.

Twas a worthwhile visit to your board!

Ah... I didn't actually know about this! Pretty poor act from the AFL there as well.

But obviously, as we know, there were never any depths to which Oakley, Samuel and Collins wouldn't gladly stoop.

Anything to keep the bankrupt VFL afloat - get NSW to pay the bill.

Has anything changed, subsidise too many teams in Melbourne, year in / year out, EVERY year ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That era aside, it's a travesty the proposed North-Fitzroy merger wasn't allowed to go ahead in 1996/7. The Bears would've made it regardless and a viable club in equal partnership would've solved both the Roos and Lions problems.
Agree - North Fitzroy we could have been called - lots of artists and writers at our games too with a name like this!! probably a jumper that would have ended up a bit psychedlic :D
And plenty of wine served, exotic beers and only good coffee!

Agree - North Fitzroy we could have been called - lots of artists and writers at our games too with a name like this!! probably a jumper that would have ended up a bit psychedlic :D
And plenty of wine served, exotic beers and only good coffee!

There'd be a certain section of the community who would lobby strongly for the jumper to be a carbon-emission-free shade of green and made from hemp.

There'd be a certain section of the community who would lobby strongly for the jumper to be a carbon-emission-free shade of green and made from hemp.

ynyVHh.gif

Baseketball obviously came 10 years too late for our Roys, imo the AFL really need to watch this movie.

Long time reader of this forum so I'll throw in my two bobs worth:

Getting the apology from the AFL will never happen. There is more chance of the SANFL apologising to Port for the treatment they received.

People forget that the Merger was only an "on field" merger so as to speak, off field, the Brisbane Bears offices became that of the Brisbane Lions and Fitzroy picked up the pieces, eventually returning to the VAFA.

They should, at the very least apply to field a side in the VFL. You won't see them return to the AFL unless the BL revert back to the Bears moniker.

If anything, Brisbane should, at the very least, wear a PROPER Fitzroy Lions jumper, when playing in Victoria. Either with the FFC or the ORIGINAL Lion, not the Paddle Pop crap they wear.

If that doesn't work, then there should be a special dedicated game every year (either at home or Melbourne) for Fitzroy where BL wear the Fitzroy uniform, and also recognise the history of the original Lions (formerly the Maroons, Gorillas lol).

Long time reader of this forum so I'll throw in my two bobs worth:

Getting the apology from the AFL will never happen. There is more chance of the SANFL apologising to Port for the treatment they received.

I wouldn't want an apology anyway. No doubt it would be patronising and probably give the AFL a sense that they'd assuaged themselves of the past and wouldn't have to think about Fitzory again.

People forget that the Merger was only an "on field" merger so as to speak, off field, the Brisbane Bears offices became that of the Brisbane Lions and Fitzroy picked up the pieces, eventually returning to the VAFA.

They should, at the very least apply to field a side in the VFL. You won't see them return to the AFL unless the BL revert back to the Bears moniker.

Personally I'm happier with Fitzroy being in the upper sections of the VAFA. I don't think a VFL venture would be successful.

If anything, Brisbane should, at the very least, wear a PROPER Fitzroy Lions jumper, when playing in Victoria. Either with the FFC or the ORIGINAL Lion, not the Paddle Pop crap they wear.

Hopefully the jumper is changed back to what it was - and soon. There is talk that the jumper is due to be changed at the end of this year. In a thread on the Lions board, The Brown Dog posted this design, which makes the blue and maroon darker, similar to Fitzroy's earlier jumpers, along with the return of the traditional Lion.

1568qc9.jpg

I like that design a lot, but even if we went back to the original Lions jumper, with the lighter shades of maroon and blue, I'd be satisfied.

If that doesn't work, then there should be a special dedicated game every year (either at home or Melbourne) for Fitzroy where BL wear the Fitzroy uniform, and also recognise the history of the original Lions (formerly the Maroons, Gorillas lol).

That already happens to some extent. Personally, I would prefer that the Lions just used the traditional Lion on the jumper, rather than having one-off games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back