Opinion Why the AFL should say sorry to Fitzroy

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I'm happier with Fitzroy being in the upper sections of the VAFA. I don't think a VFL venture would be successful.

Certainly a professional football venture could be enimently possible after we reach the top echelon of the VAFA, I'd reckon. Although the VFL as it is now probably wouldn't be the best option.

The EDFL is an obvious possibility.

If the AFL ever reinstitute the Reserves comp, this naturally changes the picture as far as the VFL goes - but barring that, the NEAFL might well be an option too.

Certainly a professional football venture could be enimently possible after we reach the top echelon of the VAFA, I'd reckon. Although the VFL as it is now probably wouldn't be the best option.

The EDFL is an obvious possibility.

If the AFL ever reinstitute the Reserves comp, this naturally changes the picture as far as the VFL goes - but barring that, the NEAFL might well be an option too.

I posted in another thread, that if anything were to happen at a VFL level, a possible option might be to become Collingwood's affiliated VFL team playing out of Victoria Park. I highly doubt that a stand-alone venture would be possible given the outlay and on-going budget, so the advantage to this idea would be that we'd get a steady stream of talented players who would be well-coached and accessing good facilities, with many of them being on Collingwood's payroll. Collingwood could provide the coaches, perhaps with the salary being shared between the two clubs. With the team playing in a location geographically close to Fitzroy, we would genuinely still be representing the local suburb and hopefully able to attract more supporters.

However, I can't imagine Collingwood being willing to relinquish enough control over their reserves team to make it a viable prospect for Fitzroy and likewise, Collingwood might not gain any value out of it either. Also, we wouldn't want to end up being in a position where we end up being taken over by Collingwood!

So, I guess that idea would not be a goer.

Personally, I'm not so keen on Fitzroy joining any of the other suburban leagues. If we're at suburban level, I think there is more appeal to playing the VAFA. The competition has its own special feel, with many clubs having a sense of prestige and genuine history, but without the league having a geographic attachment that might make some supporters feel less connected with following Fitzroy.

I also enjoy the less capitalistic aspect of the VAFA and feel that the amateur status of the competition really ties in with Fitzroy being a community-representing club.

I wouldn't want an apology anyway. No doubt it would be patronising and probably give the AFL a sense that they'd assuaged themselves of the past and wouldn't have to think about Fitzory again.

Personally I'm happier with Fitzroy being in the upper sections of the VAFA. I don't think a VFL venture would be successful.

Hopefully the jumper is changed back to what it was - and soon. There is talk that the jumper is due to be changed at the end of this year. In a thread on the Lions board, The Brown Dog posted this design, which makes the blue and maroon darker, similar to Fitzroy's earlier jumpers, along with the return of the traditional Lion.

1568qc9.jpg

I like that design a lot, but even if we went back to the original Lions jumper, with the lighter shades of maroon and blue, I'd be satisfied.

That already happens to some extent. Personally, I would prefer that the Lions just used the traditional Lion on the jumper, rather than having one-off games
Good design - in fact I didn't mind the one worn the other day too. if you are going to incorporate all 3 clubs that was a winner IMO. Not sure if I'm right but we always seem to play well in the heritage jumpers.

Good design - in fact I didn't mind the one worn the other day too. if you are going to incorporate all 3 clubs that was a winner IMO. Not sure if I'm right but we always seem to play well in the heritage jumpers.

We?

Can see Gold Coast listed as your team on your Avatar....

Unless you mean the VAFA Roys. We play well every week in that heritage jumper the Red roys wear....!

Baseketball obviously came 10 years too late for our Roys, imo the AFL really need to watch this movie.

u6epe.jpg

PS- It works! The video finally works!
kzaSt.gif

Just reading the Footy Record from round 22, 1996. The intro from Ross Oakley is appalling:

For Fitzroy supporters, this weekend will no doubt have a touch of sadness as the club makes its last
appearance as Fitzroy. Such emotion is perfectly understandable but when you look back at history, the fact that Brisbane and Fitzroy will merge for next season is a process which actually started in the late 1970s.
At that time, a Fitzroy sub-committee led by the then President, Frank Bibby, considered various options for the club's future and concluded it was in the Lions' best interests to re-locate to Sydney. In other words, the club did not have a long term future in Melbourne.
Of course, that concept was rejected andsincethen,mergerswithMelbourne, twice, Footscray and North
Melbourne, as well as a re-location to Brisbane.
When the administrator was appointed to the club by the Nauru Insurance Corporation in June, the administrator ultimately made the decision that the merger package proposed by Brisbane was more attractive to Fitzroy's creditors.
The most important thing for Fitzroy and its supporters, however, is that the club's colors and the Lion name and symbol will be preserved in the merger with Brisbane, as will the history and tradition of the club.
These fundamental elements are why the AFL Commission prefers mergers rather than financial collapse and extinction.
Brisbane has an excellent group of players which will be strengthened by the merger and in terms of on-field per- formance, Lions supporters have a big future in front of them.
One only has to see the delight on the faces of Sydney Swans supporters this year, and their increasing numbers at games in Melbourne, to see what is possible for the Lions.

There's also a little piece detailing what ex-players and staff will be doing. Ross Oakley? "The Boss has no plans to go to the game." Right...

I know Brisbane now wear more Fitzroy like tops when they play in Melbourne, I think it would be great to play the original song too. I think its probably near the best song of all the AFL/VFL clubs and it would be great to hear the song play thorough the stands again. Does anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Personally I think that the Brisbane Lions song is pretty underwhelming and not something that I feel that I can enjoy or sing along to after a win. It's not so much the sentiment of it, but more the actual performance of the music, as it sounds "stilted" and at the wrong pace. Most of the old football club songs have a nice jauntiness to them (bar Carlton!) and I think that has been lost in the Brisbane Lions rendition. I suppose there are also a couple of lines in the song that sound as though they were rushed in the marketing department in order to get a song that rhymed and seemingly fitted with the Fitzory music written in time to be released for the merged club. It just doesn't sound right in some parts, such as the stretched out "Bri-isbane" and "maroo-oon", the rhyme of "gold and old" whilst the lines "answer to the call", "kick the winning score" and "you'll hear our mighty roar" are pretty questionable in my opinion!

With that said, I don't know if there's much that can be done about the lyrics, but I'd certainly like to have the music made-over, though. Although the Fitzroy song as it was will never be used, I'd like the club to do a make-over of the current song, similar to how the Western Bulldogs have done. The Bulldogs song still has the charm and vigour of the original tune, whilst also having been updated. It would be possible to make-over the Lions song to revive some of that jauntiness and vigour that has been lost in the current version.

Personally I think that the Brisbane Lions song is pretty underwhelming and not something that I feel that I can enjoy or sing along to after a win. It's not so much the sentiment of it, but more the actual performance of the music, as it sounds "stilted" and at the wrong pace. Most of the old football club songs have a nice jauntiness to them (bar Carlton!) and I think that has been lost in the Brisbane Lions rendition. I suppose there are also a couple of lines in the song that sound as though they were rushed in the marketing department in order to get a song that rhymed and seemingly fitted with the Fitzory music written in time to be released for the merged club. It just doesn't sound right in some parts, such as the stretched out "Bri-isbane" and "maroo-oon", the rhyme of "gold and old" whilst the lines "answer to the call", "kick the winning score" and "you'll hear our mighty roar" are pretty questionable in my opinion!

With that said, I don't know if there's much that can be done about the lyrics, but I'd certainly like to have the music made-over, though. Although the Fitzroy song as it was will never be used, I'd like the club to do a make-over of the current song, similar to how the Western Bulldogs have done. The Bulldogs song still has the charm and vigour of the original tune, whilst also having been updated. It would be possible to make-over the Lions song to revive some of that jauntiness and vigour that has been lost in the current version.

Couldn't agree more with this post. Not a single one of the new teams have a song that sounds near as good or traditional as any of the Victorian club songs, except Sydney which was obviously originally Victorian and Brisbane also being based off an old Victorian tune. The only song I can even remotely like thats not originally based off a VFL song is Adelaide's. I do like the Brisbane song but the Fitzroy one sounds much better and more traditional. I actually listened to the original Footscray song too and even the new one has been modernised a little but it still has its charm as you said. Prehaps they should change the background tune more like the original and keep the lyrics as they are. All this coming from an SA boy that was not even 3 when they folded.

All this coming from an SA boy that was not even 3 when they were forced to give their AFL operations to the Brisbane Bears.

The Fitzroy Football Club continues to operate in its own right, just as it has for 129 years.

wDHfNL.jpg

UZ8vWO.jpg

www.fitzroyfc.com.au

Sorry, I actually knew that, just didn't word it right. We also have a Fitzroy in Adelaide playing in the SAAFL, I know someone that played juniors for them.

Brisbane Lions should never change the club song. Period.

I don't think they should change it as such, but I do think the music at least needs a make-over to make it more like a tune, rather than a dirge. Obviously it would still be the same music, though.

Then again, I suppose there would be some people who might see this as a "change".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think they should change it as such, but I do think the music at least needs a make-over to make it more like a tune, rather than a dirge. Obviously it would still be the same music, though.

Then again, I suppose there would be some people who might see this as a "change".
Seeing that Bowers ruined our (Bris. Lions) jumper and logo, all we have is the colours, ground and song. Don't **** with the song.

Sorry this has nothing to do with Fitzroy.

Not a single one of the new teams have a song that sounds near as good or traditional as any of the Victorian club songs, except Sydney which was obviously originally Victorian and Brisbane also being based off an old Victorian tune. The only song I can even remotely like thats not originally based off a VFL song is Adelaide's.

I guess the Port Adelaide song has some sort of traditional element to it. I probably wouldn't mind it, but after having heard it following the 2004 GF, I'd have to say that I have a fair loathing for it!

The Adelaide song is alright, as is Sydney's as you've mentioned. The Lions song just gets a "pass" for mine.

To be honest, I would not be able to tell you what the GWS or GC songs even sounded like, though!

The WCE song doesn't sound like a football song - more like an advert for the club that might be coupled in with a Hungry Jacks commercial.

With that said, I actually like Fremantle's song!

Seeing that Bowers ruined our (Bris. Lions) jumper and logo, all we have is the colours, ground and song. Don't **** with the song.

If the jumper debacle is anything to go by, then we're probably better off with the devil we know.

I guess the actual production of the song is probably done by the same people who have produced the other club songs anyway.

Sorry this has nothing to do with Fitzroy.

I don't necessarily think it does either - for me it's more just about the quality of the theme song. For me, the Fitzroy version is no more a reference point than say Sydney or the Western Bulldogs or modernised versions.

I guess the Port Adelaide song has some sort of traditional element to it. I probably wouldn't mind it, but after having heard it following the 2004 GF, I'd have to say that I have a fair loathing for it!

The Adelaide song is alright, as is Sydney's as you've mentioned. The Lions song just gets a "pass" for mine.

To be honest, I would not be able to tell you what the GWS or GC songs even sounded like, though!

The WCE song doesn't sound like a football song - more like an advert for the club that might be coupled in with a Hungry Jacks commercial.

With that said, I actually like Fremantle's song!
There is nothing traditional about Port's song. It was written by an advertising agency in 1996.
It's a cheap pile of crap like everything else that comes from them.

There is nothing traditional about Port's song. It was written by an advertising agency in 1996.

For some reason whenever I hear the line "There's history here in the making", I always internally hear "There's pastry here in the making".

It was actually submitted by a pair of local composer-musicians, Quentin Eyers and Les Kaczmarek, as part of a wider competition that accepted over 70 entries.

Good on you for keeping the campaign of misinformation and vitriol alive though.

The Fitzroy Football Club continues to operate in its own right, just as it has for 129 years.

wDHfNL.jpg

UZ8vWO.jpg

www.fitzroyfc.com.au

I hope this doesn't sound silly, but I'm curious. Does anyone think there would be any chance of Fitzroy getting back into the VFL in the future? Even from SA I'd love to see them back there and I know I'd be likely to take interest and follow the Lions if they were to get back into the VFL.

Otherwise, 100 years of VFL/AFL history and a great foundation club, would be totally forgotten about in years to come.

'Fitzroy' still get a good mention in the media too, largely because of this link with Brisbane Lions. It helps to remind people and the new generation that a team called Fitzroy, actually played in the VFL/AFL.

Aside form the obvious backlash from Fitzroy fans and everyone in the AFL Industry (including the AFL) Fitzroy would never withdraw from the merger agreement with Brisbane. Even if they could (I doubt they could legally anyway) they wouldnt. 1300 ex players, coaches, administrators and generations of fans would detest it.
This :thumbsu:

Also it would alienate a lot of fans who started to follow the Brisbane Lions, obviously if there was no merger (or "merger" to please Roylion, Wona and co) I would've been a Bears fan (being from Brisbane and supporting my local team). Supporting the Brisbane Lions, I have taken time to learn about the Kevin Murray's, Haydn Bunton's and other legends from Fitzroy's 100 year tenure in the VFL/AFL, as well as the Roger Merrett's, Richard Champion's and other greats (I accept the Bears did not have much history) from the Bears 10 year VFL/AFL tenure. It annoys me that the AFL counts Bears but not Fitzroy as part of the Brisbane Lions history. Really it should either be counted as the one club or three separate clubs. I definitely do not see the club Jonathan Brown is currently playing for as the same club that Warrick Capper played for. Personally I see more of a connection of the club Jonathan Brown is currently playing to the club that Kevin Murray, Paul Roos, Haydn Bunton etc. played for. Also out of the Brisbane sporting teams, one thing the Lions offer than the Broncos, Roar, Heat etc. do not offer is over 100 years of history (albeit most of it being achieved in another city). Also Fitzroy were originally known as the Maroons, Queensland's sporting colour.

I understand that some old Fitzroy fans don't support the Brisbane Lions and I can understand that and respect that. I think it's great that Fitzroy have a VAFA team that all Royboys can get behind. I might get to one if I ever get down to Melbourne (when I finish uni).

Also merging with the Bears and becoming the Brisbane Lions wearing maroon, blue and gold, with a club song with a similar tune (albeit with different words), same nickname, same identity and similar jumper (until Bowers ****ed around with it, will probably be changed back next season, fingers crossed) and a team that still carries some Roys tradition would surely be a million times better than a Brisbane-Fitzroy Bears wearing maroon, gold and white with a maroon jumper with gold and white V, same club song as the Bears with altered lyrics and no Roys tradition carried on (ala the St George "Illawarra" merger). Plus the fact that us Queensland Lions fans have embraced the Fitzroy heritage with open arms.

I hope this doesn't sound silly, but I'm curious. Does anyone think there would be any chance of Fitzroy getting back into the VFL in the future? Even from SA I'd love to see them back there and I know I'd be likely to take interest and follow the Lions if they were to get back into the VFL.

Well said mate :thumbsu:

Yeah, as we continue to grow stronger as a club again, there's certainly a chance of Fitzroy getting back into the VFL - or another professional football league - in the future.

There's been quite a bit of discussion on this topic in earlier posts in this same thread, as well as other threads on the board, such as the one entitled "Coburg-Fitzroy Lions", amongst others. It's worth having a read of those topics - perhaps as well as some of the threads from 10+ years ago (if you're keen enough) about the failed Coburg-Fitzroy venture.

Personally I don't think there's much chance of Fitzroy fielding a team in the VFL. Even if there is a "chance", I doubt it would be a significant one and I'd prefer that Fitzroy focuses its attention on being a great VAFA club, rather than entering into a very speculative venture in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back